Shipping from Germany

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced significantly longer postal shipping times from Germany recently? I live in the western US and have shipments coming, one in NY (customs?) since Jan. 2 and one not listed as yet out of Germany ("origin post preparing shipment") from Jan. 16. I have another in NY since Jan. 25.

I have dealt with the dealers for years and 10-20 days total shipping time used to be the range (I keep track of when I order and when it arrives). The coins I have recently ordered from England and Portugal got here in 10-15 days. FedEx coins have come very quickly.

By the way, the coins are not restricted types. So, what explains the German slowdown?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Same problem. Recently received one from Germany that took 9 weeks. The seller said the German post traced it to NY Customs about three weeks after mailed date. It sat in Customs for another 6 weeks.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I purposely try and avoid buying coins from Germany. Most have gotten stuck in customs, never to be seen again or they are like the above, weeks and weeks before it arrives.

France was always the fastest for me, but my last france purchase, in a letter no less, took 3 weeks instead of the usual less then 7 days.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is only in NY since 2 Feb so I guess I should stop looking for it for another month.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My German coin shipments average approx 30 days. Seems the same amount of time it takes to load and ship containers via ocean from China to the East Coast US!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sadly, I always get dinged big-time when I order from Germany (well, when I order from GN) ... I often end-up paying ridiculous border-fees, so I have stopped buying from GN (*sigh*)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  8. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

Really? GN ships Fedex, both their auction site and Ebay account.
    They also charged very little for 3 day worldwide services.

Most other companies they cheap registered mail, it's like our first class international, for things valued hundreds, even thousands of dollars, I don't know what they were thinking.
    Rest assured though, as long as you used Paypal, you are covered for 6 month and you can open a case 1 month after purchase date.

Okidoki likes this.
  9. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

To me from Germany it only takes 4 days :))
    I know if I sent something to the USA..always stucked at customs NY or gets lost there...

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, for whatever reason the Fedex packages from GN seem to get checked and dinged for duty-fees more often than their stealth counterparts?

... oh, and sadly I don't get to buy too many coins that are worth thousands of dollars (only "3" measly times have I purchased a coin that rang the $1000 bell)

:oops:

Ancientnoob and Okidoki like this.
  11. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I noticed that with GN as well Steve. Every time I have ordered from them I have been hit with border fees of ~16 dollars!

stevex6 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps that is different for Canada. I have no idea what value triggers the tax but was worried about it once from GN until the form arrived with a $0.00 due. I do note that packages opened and resealed with customs tape seem to take no longer than some that were not touched. Perhaps they x-rayed it and decided that was all they needed to know.

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I haven't had any issues with Deutsche Post recently. My last purchase from there was my recent Domitian tet sent Registered Mail. Took 10 days.

german shipping.JPG

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I haven't had trouble when it comes from Germany via FedEx (Pecunem/G&N ships this way) but for all other EU countries sending by carriers other than FedEx, it always takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.

That said, usually I pay Pecunem the day the auction ends and they ship it the next day. I receive the package in 3-4 days, which is amazing. They had an auction on Sunday 2/7 and I paid immediately but haven't received a shipping notice :(.

15. David Atherton

That's unusual for G&N. Usually Tues or Weds has been normal shipping days for them. I normally get the Fedex notice before they notify me anyway.

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

On the other hand, I ordered a coin from the UK on Jan 31. It arrived yesterday. Only 11 days! Not bad.

17. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

That's because you dudes are Canadians. US customs is duty free. This country makes money from taxing its own people, not imports.

Fedex and UPS use their own ports. The custom agents at those private ports can charge the recipient a fee for using their facilities/services. 20 some big boxes usually end up 30 or 40 bucks fee.
    Since some time ago FEDEX had started sending recipient a letter/bill for those custom charges at their private ports, most of the time with $0 due, like what Doug had gotten. Waste of paper if you asked me.

The aforementioned problem of mail get stuck and lost at customs is only frequent with registered mail from Germany. There are 2 places they get stuck at, Frankfurt/Flughafen and NY ISC. They must have storage spaces filled up to wazoo. My theory is they pull packages from one end only, so the stuff in the back, usually from Christmas rush, don't get moved for half a year.

I lost only a few items this way, and they happened in 2012. One of them was a Vercingetorix Hostilius Saserna:angelic: I've been asking German senders to use express or Fedex ever since.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  18. David Atherton

Some very good info there.

Personally, the only coin that has never showed up was lost at ISC NY from Lanz in Dec. 2010. Perhaps it's still in one of those storage spaces.

19. Morris215

Morris215 New Member

I've only dealt with modern coins but i order from Germany regularly and don't really have any issues. One time a shipment was held up due to improper paperwork for "country of origin" for the coins, but usually with Fed Ex the coins are here in 2 maybe 3 days.

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lanz...no shock there. Maybe some of my old Lucilla purchases and a tet. is keeping your coin company.

David Atherton likes this.
  21. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

fedex and ups always report ancient items at customs, when coins come from usa, via HA is was a disaster 1e they charge 50 $ and then customs :punch:

Draft saved Draft deleted