Shipping delays: Don't give up hope!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Yes, took a while. I would inquire every couple weeks or so. Don't be discouraged though.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. troutrus

troutrus Active Member

I find it irritating when you pay a premium price for shipping and don’t even get the ability to track said shipment. I have a couple pieces I ordered out of dealers in Spain. Both shipped via Correos. Ability to track ends when it leaves Spain.
    I don’t mind paying for service, but I think it would get here quicker if they just put it in an envelope with a couple stamps on it.

robinjojo and Andres2 like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

An item I bought back in early Jan arrived finally this past saturday from Germany. I gave up on it but saw it lying on my front porch. So that was a nice surprise.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Have not received my Leu auction wins yet, but Swiss post tracking says the items left the export hub on the 12th of March, so only ten days ago.

VD76, OutsiderSubtype and panzerman like this.
  6. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

It seems we are in the same boat. Last scan was in Switzerland 10 days ago. It looks like they send mail to the United States via ocean.

7. ancient coin hunter

Pretty sure its air mail. Shipments have to clear the ISC in New York before they are released and this can take a week or three (basically customs)...also, most of the time USPS does not track international shipments other than Royal Mail. So they basically just show up in your mailbox.

VD76 likes this.
  8. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

I have bought from Leu many times and have always been able to track the movement of mail from Switzerland right to my doorstep. I just checked the last few shipments from them and it seems that six days was the longest from Switzerland to ISC New York. Till now :)

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I just received a coin sent domestically from one state to another -- granted, about 1800 miles away -- that took more than 6 weeks and two lost mail reports to arrive. Frustrating.

svessien likes this.
  10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Me neither, but tracking says they arrive on Wednesday. I’ll be rather miffed if takes longer to get a coin from Switzerland to Norway than from Switzerland to Yosemite Valley (or wherever in Northern California you are out hunting for coins).

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. troutrus

troutrus Active Member

I just got a nice piece from Herakles out of Huntersville, NC. Received it 4 days after ordering. Booyah!!

tibor and Roman Collector like this.
  12. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

On January 3, I won a catalogue in the Solidus Auction. Knowing that German shipments were reported to be very slow, I was pleasantly surprised when it shipped a few weeks later. USPS confirmed receipt in NJ late in February and I was told to expect the package on March 1. It didn’t arrive and I received a tracking notice on March 4 saying I would receive it “a little later” than I had been told. Since then - crickets. I finally contacted USPS today and filed a lost package claim. Fingers crossed but not pleased.

13. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

Did you have any recent experience with the post from Cyprus to Western Europe?

I had a bad experience with shipping to Belgium and now I am contemplating another failure with shipping to France, with a very rare coin leaving Cyprus on 10 Feb and not getting yet to destination.

14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

So far my record is 38 days to go from Florida to Maryland.

15. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I had a package ship 9/23 from Texas and it tracked normal Priority to the local PO, but it never came. Tracking reverted to “waiting for package” status at the shipping point. Three weeks ago the package arrived in one of those “We’re Sorry” envelopes. Despite the terrible packing by Heritage, it was OK.

B6713BF6-A87D-4AC3-B53F-917BFD816AAC.jpeg Reminded me of “Old Mail Day” in Hooterville.

16. ancient coin hunter

Still haven't received the shipment from Leu.

17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

It's not just coins. I had my teeth cleaned in February 23 and was told they would get back to me in 3 days. On March 4th, no contact, so I called and asked them to mail be the estimate (almost as much as 2 double eagles). I finally got the information on March 22. My dentist is in Fayetteville NC and I live in Dunn NC, a distance of 25 miles. The letter was postmarked Charlotte NC, a distance of 132 miles and then it had to come to my house, which is another 138 miles. It took 18 days to get the letter to my house. I know it's not a coin, but it was important.
    We have had packages and letters that are addressed to Wayne St, sent to Watauga street. The people on Watauga street would never bring it to my house or even let me know they had something. I get stuff of theirs all the time and I carry it to their house. Stupid rich people!!

DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Brief rant: Where I live, it's rare for a dentist to do anything beyond cleaning teeth for less than $1,500 or so. And dental insurance costs a lot too, with lots of exclusions and very low maximum annual coverage. God forbid one's teeth should be considered part of one's body and covered by general medical insurance! Rant over.

19. ancient coin hunter

Same here. I just self pay dental stuff, though if one thinks about it, why it is not considered a part of the body is beyond me.

Jim Dale and DonnaML like this.
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Right. Someone punches you in the nose and breaks your nose: treatment covered. Someone punches you in the mouth and breaks some teeth: treatment not covered.

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I am 73, soon to be 74 and they want to pull a half dozen teeth, then send me to another dentist to put in implants and then go back to my dentist to put on a half a dozen crowns. My Dentist's charge is about $5K then my insurance pays $800 of it for a little over $4K. I have no idea what the other dentist would charge. I just went in to get a cleaning. I get one ever six months and the dentist just saw this? My regular dentist has been my dentist for over 20 years. The dentist that wants all this work done is new to his practice. My physician told me not to do it yet, and wait until this stupid pandemic passes if ever. He's been my physician for over 20 years. I'm a retired state employee and my wife is a retire educator. Yuk!

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted