shipment arrived from Naville

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Apr 25, 2020.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I won this in Naville's March 22 auction. I wasn't sure if or when I would receive my coin, but it arrived today. I am not sure what makes this a Seleucus I tetradrachm. Can anyone shed some light on what markings determine that this is a Seleucus? Is it the monogram? I can't make out what it is. Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

The Seleucid Kings, Seleucus I Nicator, 312- 281 BC Babylon Tetradrachm circa 311-305 BC, AR 25mm., 17.04g. Head of Heracles r., wearing lion-skin headdress. Rev. Zeus seated l., holding eagle and sceptre; in l. field, MI on bee and below throne, monogram within wreath. Price 3754.

Light iridescent tone, About Very Fine/Very Fine.

Limes, Sulla80, Marsyas Mike and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is a very nice tetradrachm of Seleukos @tartanhill I really like it. Seleukos was first strap of Babylon then conquered the city and held it from the Antigonids during the Babylonian war. He issued a massive number tetradrachms in the name of Alexander from Babylon, both as satrap and ruler.

The easiest way to distinguish them is by the control marks under the throne and in the left field of the tetradrachms. The MP wreath monogram under the thrown and MI in the left field are from Babylon. There are many tetradrachms that uses them, here is one example from my collection.
    4220277.jpg

The best work on Seleucid coins is "Seleucid Coins" by Houghton and Lorber. It's very pricey though, even on sale.
    81PA0k0yP+L.jpg

4. tartanhill

Thanks, TheRed. Didn't Alexander III also produce tets in Babylon?

rrdenarius, TheRed and Alegandron like this.
  5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

This will give all the combinations for this type. Since there are over 300 of them the advanced search can narrow it down further.

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2020-4-25_16-50-27.png
    Alexander Babylon Tet Di-Shekel compare thick to 3 quarters.JPG
    BABALONIA, Babylon
    Alexander III Lifetime
    AR Tetradrachm / Stater (or Dishekel)
    Minted ca. 323-328 B.C.
    24 mm, 16.3g
    Obv: Ba’al seated left holding scepter
    Rev: Lion walking left, control mark Г above. (Control mark Г was minted during Alexander III Lifetime)
    Ref: Ref: BMC Arabia XXII no.1
    Comment: "This type was discussed by Martin Price in his article "Circulation at Babylon in 323 BC," in the book "Mnemata: Papers in Memory of Nancy M. Waggoner." He asserts that a reengraved die clearly shows the "lion staters" with gamma followed the ones with delta. "They are probably shekels on the local standard." (page 67). He dates them to the lifetime of Alexander, because they were present in a hoard with deposition dated to 323/2. He doesn't give the earliest possible date explicitly, but mentions that Mazaeus was governor until 328 and issued coins, so I infer Price would put them at or after 328. So you can say "Struck 323 or before, under Alexander the Great." Quoted from @Valentinian on CT
    Ex: @Ancientnoob

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Sulla80, TheRed, Broucheion and 7 others like this.
  7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

""Didn't Alexander III also produce tets in Babylon?""

Yes, he retired in Babylon and died there, here's a lifetime Tet :

P1180368.JPG

Sulla80, TheRed, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  8. tartanhill

Thanks, David@PCC. I will store this site away for future references.

David@PCC likes this.
  9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

David's website is awesome. My favorite feature is his search by control mark page: http://allcoinage.com/controls.php
    I rarely crack open my copies of Houghton and Lorber now.

@Alegandron that is a wonderful stater, I love the photo of the coin's width as compared to the quarters. One day I'll add one to my collection, I just have to stop buying coins long enough to save up.

David@PCC and Alegandron like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have to admit that I borrowed that quarters-Tet photo from @Collect89 . When he first showed it, I knew that I had to get mine! Actually, him and @Ancientnoob (from whom I captured MY Tet) are good coin friends. They both have incredible Ancients.

I was fascinated that it was a closed currency, circulating basically in the Babylon area. Additionally, this version is a Lifetime Tet of Alexander III. And, yeah, Baal and a Lion are always just COOL on a coin!

rrdenarius likes this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins. I have a not-as-nice example of the OP (Price 3754).

Seleucid Tet Jan 2019 (0a).jpg

Seleukos I Nikator Tetradrachm
    (c. 311-300 B.C.)
    Babylon Mint

Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / AΛEΞANΔPOY right; [BAΣIΛEΩΣ] below; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; MI above bee in left field; MYP monogram in wreath below throne.
    Price 3754; SC 82.2b
    (17.02 grams / 23 mm)

TheRed, Sulla80, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@tartanhill, a good looking coin - congrats. Here's a my tetradrachm from Babylon shortly after the death of Alexander:
    Alexander Babylon.jpg
    Babylon, Kings of Macedon, Philip III Arrhidaios, 323-317 BC, AR Tetradrachm
    Issued in the name and type of Alexander III from the Babylon mint, struck under Archon, Dokimos, or Seleukos I, circa 323-318/7 BC
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; M in left field, ΛY below throne
    Ref: Price 3692
    Note: "After Alexander's death in Babylon in 323 BC, the Macedonian army in Asia proclaimed Arrhidaeus as king; however, he served merely as a figurehead and as the pawn of a series of powerful generals." - Wikipedia

TheRed, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is my Babylon ljfetime tet (dishekel) that Alegandron posted:
    DiShekel Collage.jpg

Here is one from Babylon after Alexander's death. See the ΜΗΡ in wreath Babylon monogram. Also see the throne style & arm position associated with Babylon (Same as @Sulla80 coin).
    Alexander Posthumous Collage.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA
    Seleukos I (Nikator)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Babylon mint 317-305 B.C.

16.93 grams, 26-27 mm diameter
    Obv: Head of young Herakles facing right clad in lion’s skin
    Rev: Zeus enthroned facing left with legs crossed holding eagle and scepter. ΜΗΡ in wreath monogram to left, AΛΕΞΑΝΑΡΟΥ to right, MI below throne & ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ in ex.
    Grade: gVF with old cabinet tone. Enthroned Zeus is nicely centered and Herakles obverse is off center.
    Other: Posthumous issue in the name & types of Alexander III (The Great). Similar to Sear 6829 except minted with Alexander’s name, Price 3746, SC 82.5a.

Attached Files:

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  14. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Apologies on crashing your pARty..

[​IMG]
    Seleukid Kingdom Seleukos I Nikator 312-281 BC AE

O: Winged head of Medusa right.

R: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ, titles horizontally above and beneath bull butting right, head turned back.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted