Shiny New Postumus from FSR Auction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Nov 2, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This is the only coin I won after shotgun blasting bids on about 10 different coins. I am pleased with it though as it is quite an upgrade from the other Postumus I have. I used remove.bg to remove the background on this coin instead of manually cutting it out in GIMP. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Postumus
    Antoninianus
    267 AD
    Cologne
    Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: PAX AVG, Pax standing facing, head left, branch upward in right hand,
    transverse scepter in left, P in left field
    Postumus.jpg

This is what I upgraded from:
    Postumus
    Antoninianus
    Lyons
    Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate bust right /\
    Reverse: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and transverse sceptre
    UI5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice new coin @furryfrog02 - a good addition to your collection. I'm waiting for my FSR coins to show up in the mail. Meanwhile Here's a Postumus Serapis...

Obverse: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG
    Radiate, draped, cuirassed but right

Reverse: SERAPI COMITI AVG
    Serapis standing left, raising hand and holding sceptre

Year: 267 C.E.

Reference: RSC 360a, Sear 10991

Mint: Trier

postumus3.jpg

postumus4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. furryfrog02

Very nice!
    My 3 year old daughter says that Postumus looks like Santa.

Hispanicus and Pellinore like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Yeah, he just needs a pipe, appears to already have rosy cheeks.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Nice coin and cleanly cut background. Work on the lighting on the coin and color. This one seems harsh and blue. I will point out that remove.bg will allow you to drop the image on any background you wish (black, white, gray, a snapshot of Santa and your daughter telling him she would like a Pertinax next Christmas..... anything.

7. furryfrog02

I did have some trouble shooting the coin. Like it said in the auction, it is silvery with a light coppery undertone. The obverse is very lustrous. I stood out in the backyard as long as I could in shorts and a tshirt trying to get the best shot I could but I got too cold before I got exactly what I liked.

I didn't know that remove.bg would let you change the background. I prefer black backgrounds but when I tried to make this one black, there was a white ring around the coin so I just kept it white. I will have to mess with it more to see if I can get what I like. Thanks for the tip!

I really like the beards on all those Gallic emperors; Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus. Their beard game was on point.

8. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

I like them both

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

The old one, I found in a pile of junk at the Baltimore coin show last November. I think we paid 10 for $80. This one, I paid $19 but I like it a lot more.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ya dun goood, @furryfrog02 ! Nice upgrade. Are you keeping the original one?

Here is my upgrade:
    [​IMG]
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia

From this one:

upload_2019-11-2_18-56-57.jpeg

ominus1, Bing, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  11. furryfrog02

Of course!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, and definitely an upgrade. Postumus is a fun ruler to collect... interesting history, many different reverse types, and often affordable.

Here’s one I picked up from an FSR auction two years ago...

[​IMG]POSTUMUS
    Billon Antoninianus. 3.16g, 21.9mm. Trier mint, 3rd emission, 1st phase, AD 263-265. RIC V 75; Mairat 65-9. O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopia.

And here's another from one of Frank's famous fixed price "bargain" lists. At $19.50 was it really a bargain? Hmmm... I'm not sure, but sestertii of Postumus are significantly less common than his ants and even his double sestertii, so upgrading to a better one will likely cost more than I'm happy to pay.

Postumus - Sestertius Victory 352.jpg
    POSTUMUS
    AE Sestertius. 16.67g, 29mm. Trier mint, AD 261. RIC 170; Sear 11099; C 383; Bastien 93-4, 99-100. O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm, seated captive at feet.

13. furryfrog02

Oh man, @zumbly I love anything that has Victory on it. Shame you can't see a bit more of her. Still cool!

14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice one furryfrog02. I have one just like it, but not at all shiny. It is one of my most spectacular eBay deals - I paid $0.01 for it. One cent. Plus shipping. That might be all it's worth, however:

Gallic Emp - Postumus PAX 1ct Mar 2018 (0).jpg

Gallic Empire Antoninianus
    Postumus
    (268 A.D.) Cologne Mint

IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right / PAX AVG, Pax standing left with branch & sceptre P in left field.
    RIC 318; RSC 215; Elmer 333;
    Sear 10966.
    (2.78 grams / 21 mm)

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Well, then you might like this one, which has two of 'em on a double sestertius. It's one of my favorite coins of Postumus. :)

Postumus - DS Double Victory 2017.jpg
    POSTUMUS
    AE Double Sestertius. 9.85g, 27mm. Atelier II, AD 261-263. Bastien 152; RIC 166; Sear 11069; Cohen 407. O: IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: VIC[TORIAE A]VG, two Victories standing face to face, attaching shield to palm tree, captives seated left and right below, S C in exergue.

16. furryfrog02

Twinsies! I love the fact that our coins could possibly have been minted one after the other.

17. furryfrog02

B.E.A.UTIFUL!

Roman Collector likes this.
  18. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

19. furryfrog02

Yours is from earlier in the day. Serapis clearly got tired of standing and posing all day for the mint artists. By the end of the day he was a bit slumped over and looking forward to going home.

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's my shiniest Postumus -- also struck with a worn reverse die:

[​IMG]
    Postumus, AD 260-269.
    Roman AR Antoninianus; 2.39 g, 19.4 mm, 12 h.
    Cologne, AD 265-268.
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and hasta pura.
    Refs: RIC 80; Cohen 295; DeWitte 247; RCV 10977; Hunter 75.

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Try standing inside near a north facing window. You don't want to be in direct sun but in either open shade outside or inside where there is bright light from a window but diffused from the sky which is less harsh than the direct sun. IMO more coin photos suffer from too much contrast, too much glare and too much light. If the camera is supported well, you can use a longer exposure time and benefit from softer light.

furryfrog02 and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted