Shilling 1559 - 1560

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Restruck, May 16, 2017.

?

Any other owners out there ?

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Hello coin folks,

Today I would like discuss my old hammered gem....

I have had this beautiful item for a good 20 plus years, and was wondering if any one has one just like it. This coinage is graded between F/VF and is remarkable in pretty nice shape as you can see in the photos. Also inside its holder it also has a slip so it's double protected. I have done fair research on it and found lots of useful info, anybody want to add would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I used to own several of these. Yours appears to be mid-circulated grade (I would agree with your F/VF assessment), but yours has unfortunately been polished or cleaned. It is very bright and shiny. That will tend to lower the value.

Here is my favorite that I used to own:

JPW586 obverse.JPG JPW586 reverse (2).jpg

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree with what @physics-fan3.14 said. The example he posted has near perfect eye appeal.

Yours is unfortunately a bit too harshly cleaned for my tastes, but don't let that discourage you too much. I would certainly not reject your coin outright. It is undisputably a historically interesting piece and has its good points.

I want an Elizabethan coin but so far have only owned two smaller denomination pieces with problems far worse than yours has.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I used to own a 1562 with the Martlet mintmark, but very nearly 21 years ago my soon to be wife wore it in her shoe and has kept it as her own the since.

Restruck likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Shame it was polished, but nice coin though.

Mine.

[​IMG]
    Elizabeth I (1558 - 1603 A.D.)
    AR Schilling
    O: ELIZABETH : D : G : ANG : FR : ET : HIB : REGI, Crowned bust of Elizabeth left; bust 6B.
    R: POSVI DEV: ADIVTORVM • MEV:, Long cross over shield.
    Second Issue, 1560-1561.
    32mm
    5.5g
    Mint mark: Martlet.
    Spink 2555.

Restruck and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice toning gives yours contrast to make the design stand out, @Mat. The edges are a bit ragged but I like your coin. The obverse lettering really "pops".

I wonder why they put dates on the sixpence coins but not so much (or at all?) on the shillings? I want my next QE1 to be a dated piece.

Restruck likes this.
  8. Restruck

Restruck New Member

Yes, Mat I appreciate your coin very nice. That obverse does have nice tone.

Lordmarcovan, very neat set you got going on. That is some history. I am so wrapped up in US mint with large cent and morgan dollars lately I need a break and start looking into those. Very cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted