Shell's Mr. President Coin Game question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ARguy, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

TWM: In 1992 Shell Oil had an Instant Winner promotion called 'Shell Presidential Collector Coins.' It was basically a set of eight giveaway presidential tokens that you collected and mounted on a cardboard display. If you were lucky you received a token that had "Silver Eagle Winner" stamped on it which could be redeemed for a U. S. Silver Eagle. I think this is the promotional game that your son played. Now there's a Shell Oil prize that actually went up in value!

mikenoodle and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

serafino likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I just unloaded 7 of the ones from the 1960's on Listia. The only ones I ever held on to, until today.;)

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

6. Victoria Baca

Victoria Baca New Member

Hello, i have came across the 8th to the 37th president coins. Im curious what they are worth.

7. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

Hi Victoria.
    In Shell's Mr. President Coin Game, aluminum medallions were minted for presidents 1 through 32 (Franklin D. Roosevelt). These were the game pieces you received one-at-a-time when you visited a Shell gas station. One of the prizes in the game was a bronze set of president medals which came with a mounting board and an informational booklet. Bronze medals were minted for presidents 1 through 37 (Richard Nixon) which I assume is what you have. A photo of one follows. Collectors are generally only interested in complete sets (including the mounting board) which sell on popular auction sites for $15 to $30. I often see individual bronze president medals offered for sale but they only seem to sell at low prices – which makes sense considering you can get the whole set of 37 for under $1.00 each. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

8. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I have the Lincoln token. Pretty dirty I know IMG_20170116_211052.jpg IMG_20170116_210946.jpg

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Where are the Mystery Science People? If shell makes good deck shoes?.......The freakin' thing made laugh out load back then.......but I'm a lot older than most of you folks. :)

10. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

Hi Rushmore. Your aluminum Lincoln medallion is from Shell Oil's 'Famous Facts & Faces Game' promotion from 1969. There are some valuable medallions in the series but Lincoln was one of the common ones. The Mark Twain medallion is scarce and worth about $100.00.
    [​IMG]

serafino and Rushmore like this.
  11. MaeButler

MaeButler New Member

I have 2 Chester Arthur. I want to put on eBay. What should I sell them for?

12. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

There is no catalog value for an aluminum Chester Arthur token from Shell's Mr. President Coin Game. I've seen them sell on auction sites anywhere from 99-cents up to $5 or $6 dollars each. In my opinion, $5.00 each is fair but you never know what will happen if two bidders really want it.

13. MaeButler

MaeButler New Member

Great a guy offered to buy both for 15.00. Guess I should take it.

14. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

15. MaeButler

MaeButler New Member

That would be interesting.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I know this is a neceo thread, but I just picked up the blue "whitman-like" folder with the complete set of 36 bronze coins and with a Franklin Mint copyright 1969. All the coins are MS and some are toning nicely after 50 years. I like this as it has a cover and seems to be more sturdy that the red version. Polish_20200124_190352505.jpg 20200124_190614.jpg Polish_20200126_194130999.jpg

17. Richard Dwyer

Richard Dwyer New Member

New member. I just picked up 1566 Shell Oil coins today. Presidents and States it looks like. Ne1 have a collection this big?

18. Richard Dwyer

Richard Dwyer New Member

Update. Many States of the Union, a few Mr. President, and a few Famous Facts and Faces.

19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I just have the 36 presidents above. I have another 24 car tokens as well.

20. southernknights

southernknights New Member

Can anyone tell how many silver eagles winners were made??
    I have 3 - 2 JFKs & 1 ABE Lincoln, all have the secret mark on them the only way to make
    sure they are the REAL DEAL!!!!

21. southernknights

southernknights New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted