Shelf doubling or something more?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Nov 20, 2015.

1. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I just picked up this 1942 D Merc and it has some interesting doubling on the obverse. I think it is probably just shelf doubling, but I wanted to run it by you guys and get a consensus.

IMGP3207.JPG IMGP3209.JPG IMGP3212.JPG IMGP3214.JPG IMGP3216.JPG IMGP3218.JPG IMGP3220.JPG IMGP3225.JPG IMGP3228.JPG IMGP3231.JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

From what I've picked up 'round these parts, the coin looks MD........

4. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

THIS is how to photograph the coins to get an answer,well done!....

green18 and rzage like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

BQ, that's a beautiful coin. In a doubled die, you're going to see a "top" impression that's intact. In strike doubling, you're going to see a "top" impression that's cut off. Pick a letter. Take the E in WE. Do you see how the left side of the E is cut off? Take the R in TRUST. Do you see how the left side of the R is cut off? When you're seeing these "top" letters cut off like that, think strike doubling. That's not always the case, as sometimes the letters and numbers are deformed on the die, but it is in the vast majority. Get out a good 1942-D dime and compare the Es and Rs at this level of magnification. In fact, photograph them, and set the Es side-by-side, and the Rs. There, you'll see it.

green18 likes this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

LIBERTY whacked ......

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

MD . Excellent pics BQ .

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yes, indeed they are well done.

9. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

Machine Doubling/Mechanical Doubling/Shelf Doubling/Step Doubling/Strike Doubling etc etc etc - Very common on Mercury Dimes, especially from the 1940s. That is what you have here as others have indicated.

10. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I've always loved this sketch by Chuck Daughtrey

[​IMG]

easj3699, mark_h, rzage and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

That's a good one. I had not seen that before.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Looks MD but a pretty sizable spread. I'd hang on to it just as an extreme form of the type. :)

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

thanks guys, about what I thought, but confirmation never hurts. I am holding onto it as it is an NGC MS66FB that I am going to put into my registry set.

Draft saved Draft deleted