Shekel of Tyre CY 4

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, May 27, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Here’s a recent pickup. A common coin but I’ve been looking for an example with a complete reverse and this is about as good as it gets. I debated this one for about 30 seconds before pulling the trigger.

upload_2019-5-27_22-11-8.jpeg

PHOENICIA. Tyre. AR shekel (29mm, 14.07 gm, 12h). Dated Civic Year 4 (123/2 BC).
    O: Laureate head of Melqart right
    R: TYPOY IEPAΣ KAI AΣYΛOY (Tyre the Holy and Inviolable), Eagle standing left on prow, palm frond over wing; to left, LΔ (date) above club, M and Phoenician bet between legs.
    - DCA Tyre 9. DCA 921. ex ClassicalCoins.Com 2005

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Beautiful! You can't go wrong with a quality coin like that. I recently picked up this half shekel

halfshekel.jpg

Laureate bust of Melkart right

ΤΥΡΟΥ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΣΥΛΟΥ (of Tyre the holy and inviolable)
    Eagle standing left on prow; palm over shoulder, club to the left, flanked by date LM (40) and monogram ΔP to the right.

Tyre; Year 40= 87/86 BC
    6.98g

Sear 5921; BMC 225

Ex-HJB Buy or Bid Sale 206, lot 103 (Nov 15, 2018); Ex-Calgary Coin

Removed from NGC holder prior to HJB.
    NGC graded Strike 4/5, Surface 3/5; NGC 4278263-010

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

Nemo likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A stunning coin, congrats.

Nemo likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a remarkable coin! Congrats :)

Nemo likes this.
  7. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

tyre1.jpeg Shekel of Tyre 114-113 B.C. Year 13 Cohen 2.13 This coin illustrated

Carl Wilmont, TheRed, Paul M. and 7 others like this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Nice score ;)! Everything is right with this coin: full strike, fresh dies, great artistry, fine toning, & accurate weight.

Paul M. and Nemo like this.
  9. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

WOW! Gorgeous! Had you waited longer than 30 seconds it may very well have been too late. Researching pricing before buying a coin is wise, however... sometimes you see a coin listed that requires a fast strike on the 'buy' button. Out of the few dozen times I have recognized such a coin and bought it immediately, I have not regretted a single one. And I feel sure that will be the case for you with this shekel!

Nemo likes this.
  10. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Those are beautiful coins. I have wanted one for years but I seem to spend my coin budget before it gets high enough to buy one. I want one just because of the story of Judas. They are quite expensive. I’ll get my 1st social security check later this year and that’s what I’m going to do with it. I want a well centered one like the 1st in this post with as much detail as possible so I may have to look for a while to find one. Y’all have a Blessed day!

philologus_1 and Nemo like this.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Nice half shekel Jay. I wish the obverse of my coin was a bit better centered like yours. You can see the paw of the lion skin knot around Melkart’s neck on your coin.

Jay GT4 likes this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Great plate coin!

13. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great shekels here in this topic, and congrats Nemo, it is a beautiful specimen.

Nemo likes this.
  14. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice examples. I'd like to get a half shekel at some point. Here's my full shekel:

Tyre Shekel 14:13 BC.jpg
    Phoenicia, Tyre AR Shekel. Dated CY 113 = 14/13 BC. Laureate head of Melkart right / ΤΥPΟΥ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΣΥΛΟΥ, eagle standing left on prow, palm frond behind; to left, PIΓ (date) above club; to right, KP above monogram; Beth between legs. 13.29g, 25mm.

Jwt708, Jay GT4, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted