Sheesh, I have to stop buying based on crap pictures, LOL.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zach67005, Jun 19, 2011.

1. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can remove the dime pic - click edit and then click Go Advanced. But it's there because it looks like you mis-named the picture file.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Take the refund. Then make your number one rule on ebay - auction has nice clear pictures or do not bid. You can ask a seller for better pictures, but I found most just were not willing to try or could not get good pictures. I do this even on graded coins - if I can't see the details good enough to judge the coin then I do not bid. Just my own rule.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Went back to the linked auction copied the enlarged picture and then blew that up. That pit is NOT shown on the auction picture. However in the blown up picture it does appear that that area has been deliberately blurred/photoshopped. Send it back, I would say it was a deliberate attempt to hide the flaw.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree...that area has a lighter color to it and based on the pitting it should be darker. I think it was photoshopped too. I don't know if you can report this to eBay, but if you can you should. Probably won't do any good though.

7. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

I dont think ebay would do anything but you should always try..

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I do not have enough of the poster's picture or a clear enough picture from the seller, but I would guess Conder101 is correct. That does not appear to me to be the same coin as the seller pictured. I would return it.

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Return the coin, get a refund, then report the seller.

It's one thing to take pictures which fail to present all of a coin's shortcomings... heck, it's impossible to take a pic which shows all a coin's virtues !

But it's something else entirely to outright manipulate images to hide obvious (and serious) problems. If the pic was photoshopped to hide the pit, that's outright fraud.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

"Sheesh, I have to stop buying based on crap pictures"

I concur.

11. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Thanks all, coin is on it's way back to the seller.

12. GoldenFire

GoldenFire Coin Hoarder

That’s good to hear because that coin was just plain ugly.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I never bid on "Moon Shot" photos or crappy photos anymoore, not worth the chance

14. psuscott1

psuscott1 Junior Member

Crappy photo has nothing to do with it. The photo in the auction is either of a different coin or has been doctored. Even a crappy photo would show pitting that large on the rim of the coin. Dishonest seller who deserves at least a negative feedback.

15. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Yeah...my guess is to only buy pcgs slabbed coins on ebay..

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Buy the coin not the slab.

17. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Yeah..well on ebay these days

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Good rule

19. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

I'll wait untill my refund clears first. His reply was quite amusing, "What is pitting?"

20. fascoins

fascoins New Member

Or just buy from eBay dealers that have a good reputation, or whom you have directly had good experiences with.

21. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I don't buy very many graded coins on eBay, but have bought several raw ones. Some are in mint packaging and others are just loose raw coins. I have had good luck with some, like my 1925 Canadian cent. Sometimes you get very lucky. Especially when one slips past other bidders. About the only ones I completely ignore are those where the seller refuses to accept a return.

Draft saved Draft deleted