Sheesh, Ever Lose A $400.00 Coin??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Sheesh... I feel like such a dipstick!!

I don't have much history buying from the mint and I want in deep for the Apollo commemoratives. I loved the theme, and loved the coins and purchased multiple everything... With exception of the gold proof. I purchased one of those. I decided this last weekend that I wanted to look at my gold proof Apollo and it was not where it was supposed to be. I have emptied both my safes and it is nowhere to be found. I know I am getting absent minded in my advanced age.... But, really?? Losing a gold coin??? What a dummy!!!

My daughter wedded in June and I thought a nice proof commemorative dollar dated the year she was married with some folding money tucked inside would be a nice gift. Only thing I can think of is that she got the gold coin instead of the proof silver. And that is fine, it's just the thought of not knowing that is making me crazy. I sure as heck can't ask her.

So what to do?? Just forget about it and chalk it up to my fading brain pan in which case I am sure I will kick myself daily for being such a putz? Beg forgiveness from the the coin gods? Lay myself upon the alter of boneheadedness?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

When I first got my German 5 mark gold coin a few years back, I thought the envelope was empty and almost through it away; thank goodness I double checked first! Super tiny; no wonder they replaced it with the larger silver version.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Is all of the proof silver accounted for? I'm sure your daughter would understand if you posed the question correctly.

Stevearino, TIF and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I'm sure it'll all work out for you. I definitely have "been there, done that" before.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Why can't you ask her? Just mention your absent-mindedness :p
    I honestly can't say I've lost a $400 coin before though...Namely because I don't have any :p

Stevearino, DEA, JeffC and 4 others like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ditto

8. Randy Abercrombie

Well, I can see it going one of two ways in my mind;

Scenario #1... Darling, do you like the gold coin I gave you? No, you cheapskate, you gave me a silver coin.
    Scenario #2.... Darling did you like the silver coin I gave you? You mean I wasn't supposed to have this beautiful gold coin??

I don't like the way either of those plays out in my mind really....

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Tell her you think the coin (don't be specific) you gave her might be one with a rare error/variety and you want to check.

10. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

Nope never have don't have one to lose.lol

11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Through my own boneheadedness, I scratched a $400 coin and it was a doozy. Almost wish I had just lost it.

Paul M. and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm pretty sure I haven't ever lost a valuable coin.

Now, there are coins I haven't seen in years. But I'm pretty sure they're somewhere in the random piles, and they'll turn up as soon as I get organized.

Until I get organized, though, they're not lost. Not even misfiled. Just... stored.

Magnus87 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How about Scenario #3... Sweetheart, can you help your old man? I'm getting so darn forgetful, and I can't remember which one of the Apollo commems I gave you. Was it the silver one or the gold one?

Chris

Stevearino, buckeye73, Trish and 3 others like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I can't say I've lost an expensive coin before but then I forget a lot of things. They usually turn up. Have you asked your wife about this? She may remember but there's no reason you can't ask your daughter. And you have other options other than your 2 scenarios. Don't be afraid to admit your faults, after all she is your daughter and she loves you.

Two Dogs and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Could be worse. It could have passed from ISC to the CBP at JFK and vanished into thin air. It happens to me at least once a year. Only the expensive ones with full declared value too. A coincidence I'm sure.

17. Randy Abercrombie

You mean and give her another reason to ridicule me mercilessly? Heck, I wouldn't call out to her when I fell into the potty after knee surgery!... Let's just say that she is adapting to old age much more gracefully than I am!

longshot, Two Dogs and Collecting Nut like this.
  18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Just tell her that you can't remember if you gave her ann Unc or Proof.

19. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

21. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I'd go with question #2. If she says it was gold, just say,"Oh right, slip of the tongue. I meant gold coin." She'll understand her ancient dad having a senior moment. :)

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted