Shea19's Top 10 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Dec 23, 2020.

?

Choose up to 3 favorites

1. 10- Herennia Etruscilla

2. 9- Victorinus

3. 8- Caracalla Tetradrachm

4. 7- Divus Marcus Aurelius

5. 6- Julia Domna denarius

6. 5- Heracles and Omphale

7. 4- Antiochus IV Epiphanes "Egyptianizing Series"

8. 3- Caracalla denarius

9. 2- Alexander the Great tetradrachm

10. 1- Group Lot of Provincial tetradrachms (Decius, Gordian III, Philip I, Philip II)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's lists, and I had been waiting for one last coin to arrive before posting my top 10 list. It has certainly been a crazy year. Thankfully, I've been fortunate to stay in good health and with a job that can be done remotely, which has allowed me to spend way more time with my 3-year old son. I've also ended up having much more time for coins, and I've been lucky to add some nice new coins to my collection this year.

10. Herennia Etruscilla

I bought this at the NYCINC show in January. It really is hard to believe that it was somehow still this year, seems so long ago. I love the portrait of the empress and especially the detail on her hairstyle. Within a couple of years after this coin was struck, things would go downhill for her quickly, and she'd lose her husband, both sons, and fall into obscurity. But here, she looks beautiful, stylish, and even has a smile on her face...a nice image of her at her best.

C6CA4C02-AC73-40F1-9D41-098BAFD29685.jpeg
    Herennia Etruscilla, AR Antoninianus, Rome mint. 249-251 AD. Pudicita reverse.

9. Victorinus

My first coin from the Gallic Empire, and my first NAC win. I lost out on all of my other bids at this auction by a lot, but was very excited to come away with this one. Thought it was a great rendering of Victorinus and of Pietas sacrificing, and with much better metal than I expected for this time period.
    F23C5D13-FA6E-458B-B7EC-5E6829A85B9C.jpeg
    Victorinus, Antoninianus, 269-270 AD, BI (22 mm, 3.90 g.), Radiate and cuirassed bust r./Rev. PIETAS AVG Pietas, veiled, standing l. sacrificing out of patera over altar at her feet. RIC 57. NAC 2020 Spring Auction

8. Caracalla Tetradrachm- Antioch
    I've been slowly putting together a subcollection of Caracalla's provincial tets, and was very happy to add this one. A big, thick coin which really which highlights his signature scowl...just a mean, nasty emperor looking especially mean and nasty.

8CDA59B8-D10F-4E09-B9E9-9428CF4327B1.jpeg
    Caracalla, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch, BI Tetradrachm (27 mm, 12.00g), 215-217 AD. Laureate head of Caracalla to r./ Rev. Eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to right and holding wreath in beak; star above cornucopiae below. Prieur 244.

7. Marcus Aurelius consecration denarius
    This coin was struck shortly after the death of Marcus Aurelius in 180 A.D., a critical time in history when Commodus took over as emperor and started slowly running the Empire into decline. The expressive portrait of Divus Marcus Aurelius really stood out to me, and I knew I just had to have this as soon as I saw it listed. Marcus is usually depicted with a stoic, dignified facial expression, but here, he looks as though he is startled or stunned at what he is seeing. I thought this was a perfect symbol for this time period and the transition...it looks like the late emperor is looking out from beyond the grave at the future, and thinking "what is my idiot son doing to my Empire?"

F41CC131-60DB-4CD5-96FD-4F0A634F8B7F.jpeg
    Divus Marcus Aurelius. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.24 g). Consecration issue. Rome mint. Struck under Commodus, 180 AD. Bare head of Divus Marcus Aurelius right / Rev. CONSECRATIO, eagle standing right on globe. RIC III 273 (Commodus).
    From the Phil Peck ("Morris") Collection

6. Julia Domna denarius

This denarius is from late in the reign of Julia Domna. She is shown looking a little older, and seemingly showing the stress of all she'd been through by this point. At the same time, she also still looks regal, tough, and is still sporting the greatest hairstyle in the Empire. Being the most powerful woman in the world may be great, but it still takes its toll, and I think that this coin shows it well.
    8FCC300A-DE8A-442A-883B-A7E145FA2617.jpeg
    Julia Domna, AR Denarius (20 mm, 3.77 g), Rome, circa 214 A.D. IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG Draped bust of Julia Domna r./Rev. VESTA Vesta standing front, head to l., holding palladium and long scepter. RIC 390 (Caracalla).

5. Heracles and Omphale- AE from Lydia
    This is a fun mythological issue which shows a lesser-known episode involving the Greek hero Heracles (Hercules). As punishment, Heracles was forced to serve as a slave for a year to Omphale, the mythical queen of Lydia. Omphale had a good sense of humor, and humiliated Heracles throughout the year, forcing him to wear women's clothing and perform women's household chores. On the reverse of this coin, Omphale is shown with two of Heracles' prize possessions: she is holding his club and wearing the skin of the Nemean lion.

0F0167BC-D196-4500-B032-2D72CE01E81F.jpeg
    Lydia, Maeonia. Pseudo-autonomous issue. AE Hemiassarion (18 mm, 2.92 g), time of Trajan, 98-117 AD. Head of Herakles to left. Rev. [MAIO]NΩN, Omphale standing right, wearing Herakles' lion skin and holding his club. RPC IV.2 online 1325.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-punishment-of-heracles-bronze-from-lydia.365383/#post-4771783

4. Antiochus IV Epiphanes- "Egyptianizing Series" bronze
    This coin is from Seleucid king Antiochus IV's "Egyptianizing" series, and I've been wanting to get a nice example from this series for a long time. Coins from this series resemble large Ptolemaic bronzes, and were struck during the time of his successful campaigns and occupation of Egypt. In addition to its historical importance, the coin is HUGE (33 mm and 34 g), a very fun piece to have in hand.

230301B3-2633-42F8-B473-3629714D33BD.jpeg
    Seleucid Kings of Syria, Antiochos IV Epiphanes, AE Hemidrachm (33 mm, 34.37 g), "Egyptianizing" series, with bevelled edges, struck in honor of Antiochos IV's victories over Egypt, Antioch, 169-168 BC. Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis to right; with Osiris cap upon taenia./ Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΘΕΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΣ Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.

3. Caracalla denarius
    This is a unique version of a fairly common issue. It has a nice sharp portrait from a brand new obverse die, that for some reason was struck on a hot mess of a crooked oblong flan. The coin manages to be both beautiful and ugly at the same time, and I love it.
    0601D0A0-76D5-44C7-A51A-A81E3BD273DD.jpeg
    Caracalla, AR Denarius, circa 213-217 A.D., Rome, (22mm.,3.02g.) Laureate head of Caracalla to right/ Rev. VENVS VICTRIX, Venus standing left, holding Victory and spear and leaning on shield set on helmet. RIC 311b.

2. Posthumous Alexander the Great tetradrachm
    A Macedonian tetradrachm has been on my want list for a very long time, and I'm so happy I pulled the trigger and got this one. The coin was struck around 10 years after the death of Alexander the Great, under Antigonos "The One-Eyed" Monophthalmos, one of the famous generals who served under Alexander, and who was a major player in the Diadochi Wars after Alexander's death.

I've never owned a coin struck in such high relief, almost like a mini-sculpture. Not much else to add...I just really love this coin.

AB0650F4-F002-4898-852F-68D1FA3D8C9F.jpeg
    Antigonos I Monophthalmos, As Strategos of Asia, AR Tetradrachm (24.5mm, 17.10 g). In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Susa mint. Struck under Aspesias, satrap of Susiana, circa 316-311 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin /Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, wreath; below throne, PO above strut, ΠP monogram below. Price 3855.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my...struck-under-antigonos-i.371119/#post-5185248

1. Group lot of Provincial Tetradrachms (Trajan Decius, Gordian III, Philip I, Philip II)

Is it “cheating” to put a group lot of 4 coins as #1 on a “Top 10” list? Probably, but since these all came as part of the same auction lot, I always consider them together. I love provincial tets, and opening the package from CNG with all of these in one envelope was definitely my favorite coin moment of the year. The Decius is probably the best of this group, but it was too hard to choose a favorite, so posting all 4 was much easier. :)
    616F8E1A-DC10-4750-A8DE-6B60DA4D83C5.jpeg
    Group lot of BI tetradrachms from Antioch- (Clockwise) Trajan Decius, Gordian III, Philip II, Philip I

Hope you enjoyed these as much as I've enjoyed looking at all of your lists! I'm interested to see which are your favorites. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Curtisimo, singig, Pishpash and 35 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Caracalla denarius is my favorite. That flan is just AWFUL.

Restitutor, lordmarcovan and Shea19 like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I’d be pleased to own any of these, but #10 (Herennia Etruscilla), #7 (Divus Marcus Aurelius), and #1 (the group lot) were the standouts for me.

Honorable mention: #5, for that terrific Herakles portrait.

Shea19 likes this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I like the five syro phoenician tets, you're right with the Trajan Decius being over the top. And the Victorinus has an unusually good portrait to it, well done on a great coinyear

Q

Shea19 likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super job for 2020, @Shea19 . That Lydia Half-As is purdy cool!

Shea19 likes this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

All great coins, but I voted for 1, 5, and 10. My runner-up would be the Aurelius Consecratio. The portraits on that group lot of tets are phenomenal! You're lucky I didn't see that or you would likely have had to pay more. :D

I like to post a coin that the list reminds me of. In this case, it's a similar Etruscilla but with the other hairstyle:
    Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.52.31 PM.jpg

panzerman, Bing, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

2,3,6 & 7 really stick out to me. Great year :cigar:
    And here's to many now:)

Shea19 likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The reverse on the Caracalla is fantastic.

Shea19 likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

They're all really cool. I voted for the group lot of tetradrachms (I love the Philip I and Trajan Decius), the Antiochus IV, and the very clever Hercules. With a fourth vote, I would have chosen the Divus Marcus Aurelius, because seeing it when you posted it recently made me want very much to go find one like it for myself. And then the Herennia Etruscilla because of that smile.

Shea19 likes this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The hairstyle on my Herennia looks almost exactly like the one on @Shea19's, but she definitely isn't smiling on mine. In fact, she's so annoyed that Puducita on the reverse stood up, put her revolver against her forehead, and is now threatening to shoot herself.

Herennia Etruscilla jpg.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

All great coins - nice 2020 haul!

Shea19 likes this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I like them all and can't pick a favorite but one thing stands out they all have great detail and eye appeal, congrats on some fantastic pick ups.

Shea19 likes this.
  14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

:hilarious::hilarious: Pudicitia does indeed look like she's playing Russian roulette!

lordmarcovan, Shea19 and DonnaML like this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The Hercules/Omphale is my favourite... great example! I also voted for the Caracalla denarius and the Marcus consecratio with that hilarious startled look. Great coins!

Shea19 likes this.
  16. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice list! I really like your AE from Lydia and the Victorinus coin. And your Caracalla denarius has an amazing portrait.

Shea19 likes this.
  17. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Good choices - my favorite is the Julia Domna with its
    careworn but strong portrait

Shea19 likes this.
  18. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shea19, You certainly had a great year :D! My favorite is #10, with the masterful portrait of Herennia :jawdrop:. This is exceptional artwork for the period, & luckily an early strike from the fresh die ;). My 2nd favorite would be #8, the Caracalla Tet with the angry looking portrait :mad:. I'm still looking for a nice example of this type with the cornucopia / star reverse. Despite being a late issue, your coin appears to be struck from good metal :). My 3rd favorite would be #1, the group of 4 random Tets. The Trajan Decius Tet is a very rare issue, McAlee 1123 :happy:. The other 3 coins are attractive too.

Shea19 likes this.
  19. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Nice to see all of the love for Herennia so far, probably should have ranked that one a little higher. Nothing like a good coin show find...will definitely miss the NYC show next month.

@DonnaML , the reverse on yours is hilarious, I love it.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thank you! That coin (#5) was definitely my best bargain of the year. I got it from a Leu auction where almost every lot seemed to have a last-minute bidding frenzy. For whatever reason (maybe others were scared off by the small flan crack?), the other bids never came in for this, and it hammered for just 35 CHF. With some of the crazy prices we've seen this year, it was nice to get a little lucky with this one. :)

Alegandron likes this.
  21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFULL!!!!! Love them all/ Merry Christmas:cat:
    John

Shea19 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted