Shawnee errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Aug 28, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

This is a well circulated 2016-p Shawnee. This coin seems to display a nice little chip on the Eagles wing. It could also be a vultures wing. I'll be safe and just say the birds wing.:happy::blackalien: Shawnee.jpg

Attached Files:

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just out of curiosity, do you scan your coins or photograph them, and if photograph, what camera do you use?

4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kentucky know I do not scan. Here's a pic of the camera that I use. It's a $13.95 special on eBay.:blackalien:

Attached Files:

5. Kentucky

The reason I asked is that your photos show so much detail, the surface ends up looking quite granular. I have noticed this same effect when I scan coins.

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kentucky all I know is lighting is a pain in the xxxxxxxx it is an ongoing project with me. Sometimes I get it right and other times I don't. But by all means I'm not a photographer. And for a $14 camera it's really not that bad. It is an easy set up. Put it on the DEST in front of the computer plug it in bring the program up put the coin under focus and take the photo, everything is done in front of you on the program. I also find this camera beneficial when identifying DD's. I bring up Wexler's site go to the desired coin I'm looking for, open camera program put coin under camera, put photo screen box next to Wexler's photos. Then start scrolling through the photos to see if your photo matches any of his. And believe me if you get into collecting the homestead doubled dies this technique will save you a new lot of time. You can also use this technique with just a photo.:blackalien:

Matthew Peak and Kentucky like this.
  7. Kentucky

Interesting looking camera...what brand? I just might buy one.

8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kentucky one thing I found out about these cameras quite a few companies make them, unfortunately the ones I have doesn't have a brand name. When I ordered this camera it would not work with Windows 10. Since I'm under Dell service we managed to get the camera working and it's been working fine ever since. But that's one of the problems with these cameras the out-of-date software and will not work with a lot of computers. My old laptop has old software and it works great. Like I said Dell got it fixed to work works on my regular computer. You know the old saying you get what you pay for. And I'm basically cheap. And please do not fall for that sales pitch coin camera. When they put that on the ad it's just so they can raise the price. These inexpensive cameras work fine. But you have to learn all the little tricks to make them do what you need them to do. As stated earlier I gave my friend one of these cameras. And we were discussing it this weekend at breakfast he was telling me he could not get a photo of the whole coin. I explained to him Why do you think I just gave you that camera. It works great For section photos. But totally unable even with the tricks to take a photo of the whole coin. Kentucky by the way the stands that come with these cameras suck. Basically not even good as a paperweight. Good old eBay also has the adjustable stands that's a must with this kind of camera. This week I'll be working on some photos of my camera set up so I'll be able to show you and other members what I'm working with. The way I have it set up now is by the time the computer is warmed up I'm ready to take photos. Just ask Patty he asked for a different view of a coin within minutes the Photo was up and posted for patties viewing pleasure. I personally do not recommend this kind of a camera for viewing and locating errors. Because of all the false imaging you can get. And this can be said about a lot of cameras not only this one. I rely on my good old faithful 10 x 40 microscope for the initial examination. When I find the error I then go to the camera to take a photo so if there is any false imaging around the error I know what to focus on because of my other microscope. Bottom line Kentucky it's cheap inexpensive easy to set up and the pics are really not that bad. Once you learned the tricks to make this camera do what you wanted to do. Like anything do a little research.:snaphappy::blackalien:

Matthew Peak and Kentucky like this.
  9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kentucky this is the basically the kind of camera set up I have cam-1.jpg

500X 2.0MP 8 LED Zoom Digital USB Microscope Magnifier Endoscope Camera Vidio

Kentucky likes this.
  10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Kentucky here's what I call the redneck coin photo set up. An expensive fast set up It gets it done. For under $25.:blackalien: ctcam-1.JPG ctcam-3.JPG

Kentucky and Matthew Peak like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted