Sharing my newest aquisition

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wal888, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Hallo All, I have bought two lots of coins from a variety of countries. Between them there was this amazing "1971 1 NEW PENNY" coin. Could someone tell me if it worth some money. Just to know, because I don't want to sell it for now.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's worth 1 penny. :)
    Welcome.

4. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

This is the content of the two lots. I've tried to take the most detailed pictures of the coins.

Attached Files:

5. furryfrog02

All are common world/US coins. Not worth much, if anything, beyond face value. Still a fun lot.

6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! I like the ones that are not round. They usually catch my eye in a foreign lot!

7. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Thank you for appreciate.

8. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

The site "www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/646751/Rare-1p-coin-New-Penny-worth-50-decimalisation-currency-farthings-hapenny-shillings" published in 21st September 2017, says: "The bronze coin that is usually dropped on the floor or lost down the back of a sofa could be worth £50.
    The valuable batch, dating from years 1971 to 1981, have a particular feature that makes them worth big money.
    What makes them special is they were the first pennies to be introduced to the UK after decimalisation.
    (...)
    It is unknown how many of these pennies still exist, however as of March 31, 2014 there were an estimated 11,278 million 1p coins in circulation, making this piece hard to track down. If you happen to have any of the old pennies, however, then they are worth more – much more."
    This is the reason I'm happy to found this coin.

9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Dont cut yourself short.
    They dont make them anymore :D
    I'd wager $0.02 worth on up to the right person.

10. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

About 19c us, a loonie, and a pound and 44 pence if my math is right.

11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Your 1971 New Penny is very common with no collector value. 1971 had an enormous mintage of over 1.5 billion. Whoever wrote that article either did not know what they were talking about or was being intentionally misleading.

12. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Understood. But, just in the case, I will save this coin to the future. Who knows...

13. furryfrog02

Everybody knows. Sorry, it's not worth anything more than face value. A fun coin from the start of the decimalization of UK currency? Sure. Valuable? Not at all.

14. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Contact the author of the article and ask him or her what that "rare" coin is worth to them delivered. Then send it to them C O D.

15. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Wal888 ...you are confusing the 1971 NEW PENNY with the "extremely rare" 1971 NEW PENCE, the 2 penny new cent. The UK based Daily Star newspaper reported on 16 March 2018, that several of these 1971 NEW PENCE were selling on eBay for £14,500. That's $18,707.15 US.

I am continuing my research on why they are considered "extremely rare", but I believe it is low mintage. UK used NEW PENCE on these coins starting in 1971 through 1982 when they finally changed to TWO PENCE. A 1980 NEW PENCE was listed for £685...or $883.75 US.

Spark

16. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

They are not worth much more than face value but very fun to collect and research. One can learn a lot from them. For a start you can read the mintage for the 20 Pence, Elizabeth II, 1983 at https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...ce-km-931-1982-1984-cuid-1131070-duid-1327451 made of copper-nickel. She is wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara and on the reverse is a crowned "Tudor rose".
    You can also see some prices here:
    http://www.comptoir-des-monnaies.co...-pence-c-89509_89786_89819_103587?language=en
    one like yours is offered at 5 euros

17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! From what I can tell, that "new" penny dated 1971 is catalogued as KM# 915. They minted more than 1.5 billion of them. It should weigh about 3.56 grams and have a diameter of 20.32 millimeters. My Kaiser-Mishler (KM) catalog is the 43rd Edition (2015); it lists an extra fine condition of that coin worthy of 15-cents; I would say your coin is probably very fine, maybe a bit better. The hard part is finding someone who would give you 15-cents for it.

I'm unsure what that article is talking about; they probably left some detail out about an error "new penny." From what I can see in my KM catalog, the new penny was minted from 1971 through 1981, inclusive. The lowest year of circulation mintage was 1975 with more than 221.8 million; 1971 was the highest year. A proof 1972 is valued at about $3.50 while a mint state (MS 65) for all years of mintage, except 1971, is $2.50. A MS 65 in 1971 is valued at $1.75.

18. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

I'm not expert in British coinage, but as much as I have understood, the only one worth any money is "1983 MULED WITH 1982 2P REVERSE - NEW PENCE".

After changing to decimal coinage, new coins bore "NEW" designation on them, like NEW PENNY or NEW PENCE.
    Later (1982? 1983?) the decimal coinage was not considered new anymore, so the NEW was dropped and the coins were just ONE PENNY or TWO PENCE.
    So, the only rare coins are actually mint errors.

19. Spark1951

The 1983 2P NEW PENCE error was listed 17 months ago (22Mar17) selling for £1,698. This is a far cry less valuable than the 1971 2P NEW PENCE, which is 7 times more valuable.

I refer you to my post #14 about 24 hours ago...Spark

20. Spark1951

Sometimes you can only post about what you know, when you know it, and this is what I have both found out and not found out...

I don't know why the listing last Mar. used the term "extremely rare". I cannot find any info on the coin relating to error and it isn't rare with a mintage of 1,454,856,250.

@muhfff ...you are right about the 1983 MULE being the only one worth "any money". A check of NGCs World Coin Guide shows it listed with a current value of $1,950.00 US. There are no other listings for any other 2P anomalies.

So....unless someone else has info clarifying, no one knows why that one was listed last March for £14,500, nor why they used the descriptor "extremely rare".

Spark

21. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you all are absolutely right. I have searched for other information about it, but got nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted