Sharing: Dansco Mexico Liberty Cap & Caballito Peso Sets

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by QuintupleSovereign, Apr 5, 2020.

1. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I wish I could click to make them bigger!
    I love Mexican coins ESPECIALLY Caballitos.

4. QuintupleSovereign

I've got a set of the 50 Centavo pieces as well; might post them later this week.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I only have a few pieces of Mexican silver that is pre-1943. I would love to get some of the older cap and ray pesos eventually.

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Really cool set! Thx for posting.

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would love to see better photos of these too. Mexico made some beautiful coinage. :)

capthank likes this.
  8. QuintupleSovereign

Will see if I can take better pics this afternoon.

9. Raulhg

Raulhg Member

Nice sets........ I love Caballitos too. I see that you are missing the extremely rare 1914............so am I.

10. QuintupleSovereign

That one will forever remain beyond my reach, I'm afraid; way too pricey for me.

11. Raulhg

Raulhg Member

Here's something you might know. The relatives of the designer of the Caballitos have been buying as many as possible for the last several years. It's getting really hard to find them, esp. the 1914. This is causing them to rise in value. High demand and very little supply. They are cornering the market.

12. QuintupleSovereign

Charming...

13. QuintupleSovereign

Voila! IMG_2290.jpg IMG_2291.jpg

Seba79 and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Great collection thanks for sharing.

15. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Woow! Amazing collection!!

A little history;

Since the 1905 Monetary Reform, it was proposed to create a new stamp for 1 peso coins, however, the above was not carried out, since the "pesos fuertes" (1898-1909) continued to be minted.

Starting in 1907, with the creation of the Commission for the Celebrations of the Centennial of Independence, it was considered among the many celebrations to create commemorative coins, initially 50 cents and 1 peso, both projects were coined in 1907, 1908 and 1909 as patterns. The 50 cent coin did not prosper and the Radiance design introduced with the 1905 Monetary Reform continued to be minted.

The design was in charge of Charles Pillet who had previously worked for the Díaz administration making medals. In 1911 the design was altered by Emilio del Moral and Charles Barber. Reason why in that same year there are varieties "long ray" and "short ray" where the engraver's signature "Ch. Pillet ”.

The most complicated years are 1911 with its short ray variety, 1912 and 1914 due to the small amount of coinage. Although the entire series is scarse in high conditions. The author Willliam Laurence Hanks in his works points out that the most complicated coin in a high state of conservation (XF onwards) is 1911 short ray, which has been valued much lower since years ago, then the most complicated is 1914. Specimens from 1910 usually emerge with a flat mintage, as for 1911 and 1912 they are better minted and can even be found with mirror fields, the 1913 coin can be found with both weak and well-stamped minting.

The author Antonio Deana Salmerón in his article "Coins weighing 1910 to 1914 do not bear the mint or Mexico mark" comments as follows:

"Regarding this in the tests of the one peso coin, it was noted that on both sides they had too much relief, so that they could not be stacked as was the custom for their counting and they were asked to retouch these instruments [to the engraver]. French Charles Pillet], for which he was upset and initially refused to make the corresponding adjustments, argued that nobody could get his work, asserting his copyright.

Faced with this situation, the Minister of Finance, Mr. José Yves Limantour, commissioned Mr. Francisco Valdez to take charge of settling this matter and, in effect, Mr. Valdez traveled to Paris and met with Charles Pillet, letting him know that the Government of Mexico, having paid him for the work that he did, he remained the property of the Nation and therefore free to proceed as best suited. Given this evidence, Pillet changed his mind and asked for 3,000 francs to do the work again, a proposal that the Mexican commissioner did not accept, returning to Mexico with all the instruments. Time was short, so Ing. Valdés traveled to the United States and met with Mr. Barber, Engraver-in-Chief of the Philadelphia Mint, who finally made the retouching and necessary adjustments to the dies and dies of the currency, work for which I collect the sum of $ 1,000 dollars; but at the end these instruments were ready to start the coveted coinage, which started at the Casa de Moneda in 1910.

On December 27, 1909 the decree was issued that gave it legal tender, on January 12, 1910 it would initiate the minting of the coins."

Draft saved Draft deleted