Share your story! First coin submission - mine was today!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Andrew HK-coins, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Andrew HK-coins

Andrew HK-coins Make your own luck.

So, today is the day...

I never really thought I would be this nervous sending in my first coin to a grading service, but as a first year, 27 year old collector with a very modest collection, I'm shaking!

Well, I shouldn't say shaking, but I will say I am nervous, excited, worried, anxious, and somewhat confident all at once! This is what it's all about though, at it is for me.

So what did I send in..? I thought you'd never ask!

An AU/BU 1921 Peace Silver Dollar.
    To some this coin is probably just another almost awesome piece, while to others who have very impressive collections, you've probably seen better. To me, this is my prized possession, and almost everyone who has seen it in person has been in awe!

I have had it for awhile now, and I have struggled with the question of "do I even bother with grading?" However, after having a local well-known dealer complimented the heck out of this coin, and a veteran trader that sells coins, notes etc. at my local flea-market said "you've really got something here," I decided to give it a shot.

I have always been very confident in the quality, however I don't want to be overly excited or get my own hopes up. It is now in the hands of PCGS to grade it, and although there is no way to know what may or may not happen, ultimately I think I will get my money's worth.

I filled out the online submission form, broke out the mylar flip, and labeled it with my coin. I also printed out a word document with a short description of the coin, and a thank you letter --- just for added measure. I walked over to my post office which is a quarter mile from my house (which is perfect since I own an e-commerce business) and sent it on it's way.

So, there is my little story on my first submission!

What about yours?
    I haven't read a thread like this in some time, so I figured I would share my story, and ask about yours! So for those who'd like to participate, share your story of your first coin submission for grading, as well as the results (I will post my coin as soon as I get it back.)

Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

In 2008 I joined PCGS to send in 1 single coin. It was a 1800 LIKERTY Draped Bust Half Dime. I paid $1100 on eBay (that's cheap) and it was listed as a draped bust dime, which is still rare, but not as rare as the half dime. When I created my pcgs member name, it was "One Chance," because I was giving those suckers one shot at getting it right. It graded VF25 and I think I traded it for $2000 in other coins. Could have gotten 3k out of it if I had held on to it. Doh! :)

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

My first experience was with ICG ( Did not know any better at the time ). And it was for a dozen silver Ikes. I knew nothing about varieties at the time in this series, but much to my surprise, they all came back in high grades and were Peg Leg and Partial Peg Leg varieties. I was very pleased. A bit nervous at the time but I did send via registered mail. I kicked myself later because I was not a home when they returned and the package required a signature. So, for two days I waited for their return when I could be there to sign for them.

Andrew HK-coins likes this.
  5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

My first experience was with a 1905-P Barber half dollar. Without knowing (or being told by the so-called "Pro" I took it to) about restoration - it came back graded Uncirculated - foreign substance. I got it at an estate auction. It was in a pile of Barber half dollars in an ash tray. I'm guessing that the guy had cigars or pipes he used to smoke and he'd set the pipe/cigar into the ash tray - hence the layer of residue. It was so dark, but it was uncirculated. Had they done a restoration to remove the excess gunk - I think it would have graded a technical 62-63 - maybe higher. I'll never know. Not sure if it still would have been a details coin, but for the conditional rarity - it would have been worth the time/effort/risk.

Meanwhile I sold it to an HA employee for a handy profit (paid about $15ea for a collection of 7 Barber half dollars). I got $700 for the coin, and he got a bargain.

Andrew HK-coins and C-B-D like this.
  6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

My first experience in submitting a coin to a grading service was at a show in Sacramento in the 1980's. Service was Accugrade, and coin was a Lexington commem. I don't recall being nervous and was pleased when it graded MS63, which is where I thought it should be. When I picked it up, the grader came out and chatted with me about the coin and grading. Not likely to have that happen today.

Cal

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  7. Andrew HK-coins

Awesome! Sounds like at least so far, most people have had a positive first experience on their first grading! I cant wait to get it back. I cant remember being this excited for something, other than when my daughter was about to be born!

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I have a few slabbed coins that I'm trying to work up the nerve to send to CAC. Got a dealer who will do it for me -- if I'll just do it to it.

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

My first submission was to ANACS. For the most part they really weren't worth submitting, mostly MS 63/64 Morgans, a nicely toned AU58 Stone Mountain Half, a VF+ Barber half I'd won for $18. Just cutting my teeth, you might say, but I well remember the excitement of opening the box and examining the results. Mostly the grades were what I'd expected or a bit better, one Morgan I called AU PL they called MS cleaned, and a circulated 1890 CC had "graffiti" noted. I looked and looked and finally saw the faintest of scratches, sort of a sideways "AA" under the toning on the cheek. So I learned a little and it was fun......good luck on your submission!

Cascade likes this.
  10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

For me I sent some to ANACS when it arrived back from them my local post office open it. They claimed it looked like a package they get when ordering new stamps etc.
    Well inside were a few $20 gold pieces, and some other coins.
    Just what I wanted people to see.
    PS that was in 2000, so they came back in the small white holders, and no I don't have them any more.
    By the way this was a post office in the local general store/ pizza shop.

C-B-D likes this.
  11. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Bought two from LCS, now out of business, with the stipulation that they would grade as sold or I got a refund. One was a 1909-S Indian cent, the other a proof indian cent around 1883 I think. PCGS graded the 09-S XF-40 as we had, but the proof came back as Questionable color. Got my refund on the proof.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't shake......I don't submit. I buy what I want already slabbed, and let some other poor schmoes pay the price of submission. Ya wanna play the game and drink the kool aid, bro? Go right ahead. The cards are stacked against you with regard to profit. Profit is for the TPG'er.

Nathan401, Jwt708 and dwhiz like this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

AMEN

Nathan401 likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And some would say the ones who only buy already slabbed are the true shmoes green :p

15. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I've never submitted a coin for certification, either. I have, however, UN-certified a around a hundred or so coins over the years. ;)

Paul_62, Nathan401 and C-B-D like this.
  16. Andrew HK-coins

Without going too off topic on my own thread, maybe someone here can help answer a question I have I have now been wrestling with since I left the post office...

When you send in a coin, they ask you the declared value. Now, the question is, will they take the declared value YOU say your coin is into consideration when they grade? I don't expect anyone to have a definitive answer on that, but maybe someone can tell from experience. Thanks!

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The declared value is just used to determine an insurance payout if it gets lost or damaged in their custody. How they determine actual value if a payout is required if say you declare a coin with a $200 market value at $500 I'm not sure

18. Andrew HK-coins

Awesome. That makes me feel a lot better! Thank you!

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

In the old days, of certificates, and not slabs, I sent a Lincoln cent (1920) to the old ANACS.

It came back as struck on a foreign planchet.

Fast forward about a lot of years, to 1996, I had purchased a 1909 S Lincoln cent, submitted it to NGC when the ANA was in NUC, and it came back (as I had expected) F-12, 1909 S VDB.

:)

tommyc03 and C-B-D like this.
  20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

One of my first submissions was a really nice 1913-S Barber quarter, probably a G6 in today's grading. I sent it to ANACS because that's all there was at the time. They contacted me and said there was too much crud around the base of the mintmark for them to determine if it was genuine. Would I allow them to give the coin a sonic bath? Unfortunately, I said yes, and I never liked the coin as much afterward. I sold it pretty quickly after that even though it was one I would have kept if it hadn't been sonically cleaned. I've got lots of other submission stories, some good and some bad, but I've recounted them many times in other venues so I won't bore you with them here.

21. Themadhouse6

Themadhouse6 New Member

My first was joining NGC in 2011.I was lucky enough to purchase 5 sets of the 2011 silver eagle anniversary sets from the Mint.When i received the box from the mint, it was a little crushed and thought dam, not gonna be good! I didn't even open the box.After I saw what they were going for on e bay,I decided to take a chance. I shipped the unopened box in to NGC hoping for at leased "1" 70 set. After waiting for what seamed like a month & stalking the NGC web site, the grades were in! They were All MS & PF 70's Early release with the exception of 2 proof coins,witch i replaced with PF-70's cheap from E bay. It was like hitting the lottery! I was HOOKED!! My luck with NGC has been 50/50 ever since.Now i just purchase the graded sets I want on E bay. The cost to resale ratio is not good & I blame the big guy flippers for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted