Share your rarest coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Apr 28, 2016.

1. robp

robp Well-Known Member

All unique. I'll stick to the ancients section time bracket.

Edward the Confessor Trefoil/Quatrefoil penny of Winchcombe
    upload_2024-5-16_16-12-31.jpeg

William II type 4 penny of Tamworth
    upload_2024-5-16_16-13-46.jpeg

Edward the Confessor PACX penny of Guildford
    upload_2024-5-16_16-15-5.jpeg

Edward IV halfpenny of Canterbury with trefoils by the neck
    upload_2024-5-16_16-16-54.jpeg

Harthacnut Arm & Sceptre penny of Bridport
    upload_2024-5-16_16-18-15.jpeg

Edward the Elder 2 line penny by the moneyer Thurlac
    upload_2024-5-16_16-19-23.jpeg

Edward the Confessor Pointed Helmet penny of Langport
    upload_2024-5-16_16-20-30.jpeg

Henry I type 4 penny of Wallingford
    upload_2024-5-16_16-21-58.jpeg

William I Sword type penny of Dorchester with small crosses by the bust
    upload_2024-5-16_16-23-13.jpeg

BenSi, kountryken, Cheech9712 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

4. rasielsuarez

rasielsuarez Active Member

Wow, I can't take my eyes off that pointy-hatted Eddie!! Whatever you paid for it it was worth it. The William II is another major score. Getting nice ones nowadays can be a budget buster.

It looks like you're putting together a set of the English monarchs. I started about a year ago and am halfway complete with some easy ones still missing (waiting for interesting ones) and then that deadly first row which might take many, many years to fill up :- )

Rasiel 20240516_172333.jpg

5. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Thanks. The Langport was a bargain in a Kunker sale 10 years ago, less than VF price for the mint and it extended the opening period for the mint by one issue and as such a no brainer.

William II types 2 to 5 and Henry I are probably the most problematic finding fully struck up and legible examples due to their relative scarcity as types, compared to say Stephen which is much commoner as a reign despite frequently grotty strikes.

Included in my collecting criteria, I'm going for one of each person in whose name a coin was struck, including episcopals and one of each mint, trying not to duplicate types to make it challenging. Some duplication is inevitable because some types account for the only examples known (or available) from more than one mint.

As for your gaps, half the top row are relatively easy to find something interesting at affordable prices. A good challenge would be a fully struck up Tealby for Henry II and for something harder, an uncirculated 1837 half farthing for William IV which is not easy to find in any presentable grade.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

Kara Koyunlu Silver Tanka of Jahanshah (minted in Qom sometime between 1438 and 1467):

Kara Koyunlu Silver Tanka of Jahanshah (minted in Qom sometime between 1438 and 1467).jpg

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Do mint errors count? If so this is the rarest of the rare, the only one known (well actually it's 2 coins), and a truly unique error:

lot 658 - photo.jpg
    Characteristics: Unique rarity; an exceptionally rare blank mint error as both flans are a precise match when stacked with portraits facing outwards. The two individual flans were stuck together when they were trimmed, heated, and struck. Thus creating a single, perfectly aligned coin when stacked. When the coins are separated they each have a blank, unstruck, side. What's truly amazing is that these two coins survived together, intact, for over 1800 years.

Coin 1:
    Province, City - Reign:
    Syria, Cyrrhestica. Beroea - Macrinus
    Denomination: AR Tetradrachm
    Mint: Cyrrhestica. Beroea (217–218 AD)
    Obverse: AYT K MA OΠCE MAKPINOC CE, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Blank (unstruck mint error)

Coin 2:
    Province, City - Reign:
    Syria, Cyrrhestica. Beroea - Macrinus
    Denomination: AR Tetradrachm
    Mint: Cyrrhestica. Beroea (217–218 AD)
    Obverse: Blank (unstruck mint error)
    Reverse: ΔHMΛPX EΞ YΠATOCΔ, Eagle standing facing, wings spread, head and tail left, holding wreath in beak; palm frond to left; between legs, winged animal facing
    Exergue: B-E

BenSi, kountryken, Cheech9712 and 3 others like this.
  8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I have a Constantine II struck with two flans stuck together.

Lyons_90.jpg

Constantine II
    A.D. 320
    19mm 5.8g
    D N CONSTANTINO IVN NOB C; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    VICTORIAE LAET PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding wreath inscribed VOT PR on altar.
    in ex. P two captives L
    RIC VII Lyon 90

9. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

I have a few other coins that are similar to yours that were minted with two flans, but the flans are stuck together not separated. The one in my post are two separate coins that somehow remained together as a pair and not spent separately. It seems like the previous owners thru the centuries knew they were unique and kept them together.

10. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

Stephen Album says that this Zand Gold 1/2 Mohur of Karim Khan Zand (which I won at an auction today) may be unique:

Zand Gold half-Mohur of Karim Khan Zand (minted in Isfahan in either 1770 or 1771).jpg

11. bootsitalia

bootsitalia Member

FEL TEMP REPARATIO Series

CHIRHO.jpg

Constantius, 351-355 A.D.
    Thessalonica Mint
    Obv: Diademed Constantius, facing Right
    Rev: Emperor standing on singular captive, holding victory and Christogram banner
    RIC VIII Thessalonica 178, R1

This variety of the FEL TEMP REPARATIO series was minted in response to Constantius' initial victory over Magnentius at the Battle of Mursa in the neighboring province of Pannonia. It is a variety of a broder series, and is unique through the fact that the emperor kneels on one captive rather than two.

RIC VIII lists this type as R1 (11-15 pieces known), and while this population count isn't exact, it has been listed elsewhere as one of the rarest coins in the entire series. This makes it my rarest coin!

BenSi, kountryken, GarrettB and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

A scarce silver Didrachm of emperor Domitian minted in Cyprus. Its provenance is cited as being ex. Mike Bezayiff. 19 specimens of this type is recorded on RPC Online.

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/2/1810

[​IMG]

13. TJW

TJW New Member

coin_AD0218_Roman_MacrinusAKATheErasedEmperor_ae29_RarePossiblyUniqueForType_Cappadocia.png

Roman A.D. 218 VERY RARE (possibly only known of type*) "erased emperor" as coin from his last months of life: shows the hated Emperor Macrinus who ruled just 15 months before being murdered and was then officially "erased" by the Senate ("damnatio memoriae" --damnation of the memory of him). In one of the earliest such rare un-personings by the Senate, most of his statues and coins were destroyed. Written mention of him (on scrolls, tablets, monuments) was erased. On this coin's reverse, the text in exergue is ЄT B which is a date mark showing his regnal year 2 (regnal year 1 would have been ЄT A), making this specimen even more rare since only around two months of coin production would have borne Macrinus' year 2 mark. (The regnal year's B does somewhat resemble a P, but there was no P used in the region's regnal year system.)

Obverse: laureate draped bust of Macrinus looking right and lettered legend.
    Reverse: agalma (votive sculpture) of locally-sacred Mount Argaeus on garlanded altar, original legend text possibly MHTOΠO (or MHTPOΠ) KAICAPIA, in ex ЄT B.
    Caesarea-in-Cappadocia mint.

*This might be the only known specimen of the Cappadocian agalma-of-Mount-Argaeus type (several emperors used it) to picture Macrinus himself; the other known specimens of Macrinus' brief era instead picture his son (and very briefly, co-emperor), the 9-year-old Diadumenian (who was also murdered and subject to damnatio memoriae).

Bronze 12.6 grams. 29mm.

Ref: (similar but picturing Diadumenian, see above) Sydenham 506a, 510; SNG Righetti 1794; (picturing others) Sydenham, Caesarea 500-1 var; Sear GICatv(1982ed) No 2890 var; Sydenham 527; RPC VI online 6736; SNG von Aulock 6510

14. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

upload_2024-7-25_17-28-25.jpeg
    Crispus as Caesar

Arelate mint c317 AD.

Follis, CRISPUS NOB CAES laureate, draped bust right / PRINCIPIA IUVENTUTIS Mars advan-cing right, with spear and shield; in fields: RS, in exergue:SARL.

RIC ?.

Diameter: 19mm

Weight: 3.73g

Ex. Roma Numismatics e-Sale 108 (2023)

Ex. Dutch Numismatic Auction, Auction 2

(2018), Lot 440 (misdescribed as having QARL in exergue)

Very fine. Acquired from Schulman in 1977.
    Quite a scarce coin especially with officina S instead of Q

15. TJW

TJW New Member

This was a pleasing catch:
    coin_AD0116_ROMAN_Trajan_AUreus_RARE_REGNAadSIGNATA_2.png

Draft saved Draft deleted