Share your rarest coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

There are many cities so rare that we will never see an example. If you collect long enough you have probably found a few that are unique or close to it. I would love to see your rarest coins. Here is a coin I sold but was probably the rarest coin I have owned. Etruria.jpeg
    ETRURIA, Central Italy Uncertain City AE26, 300-250BC.ETRURIA, Central Italy Uncertain City AE26, 300-250BC. Male figure with Scepter (or lance) and Patera n. l. standing. Dog Rt. Holding a Aryballos in the muzzle hanging on cords for R. 10.17 G. SNG Cop. 44. P. Visonà, Due monete etrusche inedite e rare into collezioni italiane, SNR 79 (2000), 30, fig. 5. Very rare. Dark Green patina.

The Etruscan civilization was responsible for much of the Greek culture imported into early Republican Rome, including the twelve Olympian gods, the growing of olives and grapes, the Latin alphabet (adapted from the Greek alphabet), and architecture like the arch, sewerage and drainage systems

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Ajax, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I have several rare emperors and kings but as far as cities all I have are the usual stuff. I mostly collect Roman and early medieval.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Scratch that, I have Rome and Ravenna mint Byzantines, and those are considered scarce and rare, if those count.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  5. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

It does not have to be a city, just your rarest.

panzerman likes this.
  6. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I bought this from HJB last May. Shiny bright, but pretty good detail on the obverse. The reverse is messy, but this was the best of the lot. I also have an Antigonos Gonatas from the same hoard.

[​IMG]
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Antiochos Hierax. Circa 242-227 BC. AR Tetradrachm (30mm, 16.42 g, 11h). Alexandreia Troas mint, workshop A(?). Series Ii, group A. SC-876 var (control mark on outer left) (same obverse die) Obv. Head of Antiochos I, rejuvenated and idealized, right, with hair in bangs over forehead and wearing a winged diadem / Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ on r. AN-TIOXOY on l. , partially nude with slight drapery on thigh Apollo Delphios seated left on omphalos, testing arrow in his right hand, and resting left hand on grounded bow set; Control marks: M in outer left field. Horse grazing right and monogram in exergue. Bright surfaces, Rare gVF
    Harlan J Berk May 13, 2015 from a yet to be published hoard ranging from lifetime issues of Alexander to Antiochos III, 192 BC

[​IMG]
    KINGS of MACEDON. Antigonos II Gonatas. 277/6-239 BC. AR Tetradrachm (30mm, XX g, 5h). Amphipolis mint. Struck after 270 BC. Head of Pan wearing goat horns and goat skin in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with seven eight-pointed stars within double crescents / Athena Alkidemos left, brandishing thunderbolt and holding shield decorated with aegis; crested Athenian helmet left, monogram right gVF

I should add that Phil Davis indulged me and allowed me to sort through hundreds of coins before deciding on these two. It was a pure delight.

7. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is my rarest coin Augustus dupondius temple

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to this question but I think this might be my rarest - I've been told there are only three other examples of the type:

[​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306-337
    AE, follis, 3.02g, 19mm; 6h; Siscia, AD 319
    Obv.: IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG; laureate, helmeted, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: VICT LAETAE PRINC PERP; two victories standing, facing one another, together holding shield inscribed VOT/PR on altar with S
    In. Exe.: dot ЄSIS dot

Now I've got some pretty rare Air Force trade tokens...but those aren't ancient!

ro1974, Andres2, Ajax and 20 others like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't know which of my coins is the most rare. Several appear to be truly rare but hard data to support the claim is of course spotty. I haven't gone out of my way to document rarity in my database but sometimes I make notes. I probably have a dozen, maybe two dozen, coins which might qualify as rare.

Here are a few which, at least by virtue of finding no or few others, are probably truly rare. I have not bothered to check for minor varieties within otherwise rather abundant Imperials.

One of the many fun things about collecting ancient coins: we can all afford rare coins without having to resort to a USB microscope to look for VAM variety or infinitesimally doubled dies :D.

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Klazomenai
    4th century BC
    AE10.7, 1.53 gm.
    Obv: head of Athena right
    Rev: ram lying left, winged boar above, Φ in left field; ANOK (ANOY?) below
    Ref: Not in literature consulted, including Imhoof-Blumer, F., Kleinasiatische Münzen
    I've seen a few of this general type but not with the winged boar above the ram. I've searched online archives and various public domain reference books.

[​IMG]
    ZEUGITANA, Carthage
    early 2nd century BCE

AE 15-shekel, 45 mm, 95 gm
    Obv: wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: horse standing right, left foreleg up; solar disk with uraei above
    Ref: Alexandropoulos J (2000) Les monnaies de l'Afrique Antique, 103; Müller L (1861) Numismatique de L'Ancienne Afrique, 131; Luynes 3782; Jenkins GK and Lewis RB (1963) Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Royal Numismatic Society, London, pl. 28 12
    There are two versions of this 15-shekel coin. Both types qualify as at least scarce by almost any standard, but the "horse standing right, foreleg raised" is apparently very rare. Magnagraecia.nl reports four specimens. If any of you see one of these online, please let me know so I can add it to my records.

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Klazomenai
    499-494 BCE
    AR diobol, 9mm, 1.2 g
    Obv: forepart of winged boar left
    Rev: incuse square
    Ref: Cf. BMC 9-10 (drachm); cf. Traité I 488 (drachm). VF, toned, porous. Very rare with boar left, apparently unpublished as a diobol
    Perhaps a bit close to modern collector mentality, but this one qualifies as rare because the winged boar is facing left. Right-facing Klazomenai diobols are plentiful but I've not seen another left-facer.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius as Caesar
    AE obol, 20.5 mm, 6.0 gm. Alexandria.
    Year 15 (CE 151/2)
    Obv: MAVPHΛICKAICAP; bust right, bare head
    Rev: Sphinx crouched right; LIE (date) above in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1919.15, R5; Dattari 3221

I have many Roman Egyptian coins which are rated "R5" by Emmett ("found only in one or two of the major published Alexandrian collections") but some of them are not that hard to find on the market. Conversely, some of the coins with lower Emmett rarity numbers are extremely hard to find in the market.

Emmett is about to publish a new catalog of Alexandrian varieties from Elagabalus onwards. I'm almost sad to see this happen. One of the nicest things about collecting Alexandrian coins has been not having to worry about assigning importance to minor variations à la RIC. I won't bore you with a parade of all of my "book rare" Alexandrians but you can see most of my Roman Egypt coins here (I have many more not yet loaded to the website).

I don't have many Roman Imperials but a few are supposedly rare. Of those, this Postumus may be my rarest, and it came from a large group lot:

[​IMG]
    Postumus
    CE 260-269
    antoninianus, 20 x 22 mm, 3.0 gm
    struck CE 263 in Cologne
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, leaning on a column, holding a scepter in her right hand and a cornucopiae in her left; at her feet to left, globe
    Ref: RIC VII 81, Cologne; AGK (corr.) 70. Cunetio -. Elmer 334. Gilljam -

I don't buy a coin just because it is said to be "rare", although that certainly is a bonus if it truly is rare :). Also, buying an ancient coin primarily for its rarity may lead to disappointment when a hoard is found. I wonder how many hearts will be broken once the just-discovered Seville hoard is catalogued?

Instead of longing for coins because of their rarity, often I wish a given coin weren't so rare-- that way I might have a shot at acquiring it. An Eid Mar denarius comes to mind. Even if tens of thousands of them existed, I'd still love to own such a pointed reminder (pun intended :D) of an important historical event. "Winged Dolphin Man" is another. Oh how I want one!! Please, Santa, Please! There are a few other very rare coins on my wish list but I don't want to reveal what they are in case I am ever in the position to bid on one :D.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Same here. And, in fact, I have no idea if I own a rare coin or not. Don't get me wrong. I would like to know, but the fact that any coin I have might be rare is secondary as to why I collect (perhaps tertiary).

11. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I don't rank my coins by 'Rarity', so I do not know which of my coins is the 'most' rare , but I do know that this Licinius I is 'very' rare.

Licinius I, AE follis, Antioch, AD 314-315.
    18.5 mm., 4.2 g.
    IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS PF AVG, laureate head right.
    IOVI CONSER-VATORI AVGG, Naked Jupiter standing left, chlamys
    across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe and sceptre, eagle with wreath in left field, officina letter Gamma in right field.
    Mintmark ANT.

RIC VII Antioch 12
    Rated R5.

(1) LICINIUS I RIC VII Antioch 12.jpg

12. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Augustus obv no 6.JPG Augustus rev no 6.JPG

Don't know where my photos have gone :woot:
    Augustus
    Bronze 19mm 4.3g
    Phrygia, Dionysopolis B
    are head of Emperor right
    Dionysos standing left, holding grapes and thyrsos
    12 BC - 14 AD
    Von Aulock, Phrygiens II, 92-6; RPC I 3122
    Very rare, 5 other examples known

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I have several that are considered 'scarce' or 'highly scarce' but probably only rare in the higher grades, let alone the almost perfect grades...but this recent purchase is 'rare' as a 'museum quality' type and something else in a 'budget' grade.

The first sold for over $260,000 and mine a 'tad' less LOL. Actually a fraction of that and even less than estimate.

Caligula, Ae Sestertius, Rome Mint 39/40 AD; 34 mm, 25.83 grams
    Pietas obverse with Caligula over altar reverse.
    caligula acseach 250,000 +.jpg Caligula sestertius.jpg

14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

There are supposed to be only 3 known of this particular variant from Elis:

elis%20stater%201.jpg

I have no idea how to verify this claim. I picked it because I wanted the Hera type not because of rarity.
    John

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This is one mine.

1607059_625273620842886_1594459012_n.jpg

IVLIA DOMNA AVG, Draped bust right; FORTVN REDVC, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia
    Unlisted Syrian mint.

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooh, that is my favorite type of Caligula bronze! Nice catch :)

panzerman and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

With Jupiter on obverse and Victory on reverse, this anonymous coin was struck during the reign of Emp. Maximinus II. The mint is likely to be Antioch,but it's very unusual to encounter such a coin during the Constantine era. I'm not sure if it's officially listed either. Maximinus 2           Jupiter.jpg Maximin 2               Victoria.jpg

Ajax, dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Appart from minor varieties out of abundant types I have a few coins from the Dombes principality which might be considered as rare (at least to date, should a bunch of them come to surface). The most noticeable is a gold pistole (double ecu) which is quite frequent for 1578 (frequent for Dombes means 30ish known examples), really rare for 1575 and 1582 with one or two known examples of each. The 1579 example I show is the first known of its type and mintage

[​IMG]
    LOUIS II DE MONTPENSIER (1560-1582)
    Pistole, or - 1579 (inédite) - Atelier de Trévoux
    + LVDO . P . DOMBARVM . D . MONTISP Ecu de Bourbon couronné
    + DNS . ADIVTOR . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1579 Croix feuillue
    6.54 gr - 25-26 mm
    Ref : Date inédite : Divo Dombes -, PA -, Mantellier -, Boudeau -, Sirand -

Q

19. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

I have only seen one of these: Gallienus of Perge, Pamphylia. AD 253-268,
    a Provincial coin with Elpis on the reverse. CNG archives shows none, ACsearch shows this one. Wildwinds does have one of this type. It might not be rare, technically, but I don't run into a lot of them. Gallienus Ae29 of Perge.jpg

Andres2, Ajax, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  20. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

My rarest coin isn't even in my specialty area, but it's a keeper. A hybrid of Domitian and reverse of Domitia. I think 2-3 are known to be extant. Somebody, somehow, picked up this picture and posted in on Wikipedia for Domitian's entry, which is pretty cool. Wasn't me.

Domitian Denarius Hybrid Cederlind 2008.jpg

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

When you collect ancients for a while one is bound to get hold of either unique or very rare items. I've always liked the following. The best explanation I have heard so far (by Doug on another group) is that the obverse die was begun just prior to the weight and diameter change for the series, then was continued on normally, creating the two borders.

Constantinopolis Commemmorative, struck circa 336 - 337 AD

Æ18, Heraclea Mint, 1.7 grams
    Obverse: CONSTANTINOPOLI, Helmeted bust of Constantinopolis left, spear over shoulder, within double reeded border.
    Reverse: GLORIA EXERCITVS, Two soldiers standing either side of a single standard with Christogram, both hold spears. SMHA in exergue.

Reference:
    similar to RIC157
    00024x0.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted