Share Your FULL U.S. Collection Pictures - Post Here

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coin0709, Nov 6, 2018.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I know this is a personal issue, but this could be fun. I started this thread for those of you willing to share a picture or two of your US collections and how you present your collection to others or just to yourself. Folders? Albums? Trays? Slab boxes? Other? I'd love to learn some tips from others. I will get it started with my 33 Dansco albums from Half Cents to SBA Dollars plus almost complete Dansco 7070...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I really don’t think that displaying a photo of one’s entire collection on the Internet is a wise idea. Remember that anyone can access this site as a visitor.

Obone, Heathster, tommyc03 and 2 others like this.
  4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

And this is different from sharing one's collection one picture at a time how?

micbraun likes this.
  5. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Understood, but in reality, our identities are protected, right?

Heathster likes this.
  6. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

In that it is a picture of one's entire collection (ideally). I was thinking a way to show each of our collections off, if we wanted.

Heathster likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

The chances of attracting a viewer with larceny in mind greatly increase, I would think, by putting it all out there in one picture.

tommyc03 and ToughCOINS like this.
  8. Santinidollar

Call me overly cautious if you wish, but I don’t believe the Internet does, or can, fully protect our identities. It has nothing to do with CT in particular.

tommyc03, SchwaVB57 and ToughCOINS like this.
  9. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Again I understand, although, I'm not sure how a post is much riskier than us saying we specialize in XYZ or post a picture of a coin we picked up clearly worth $X,XXX or more. Thank you for your caution. I like giving our CT colleagues the benefit of the doubt, but maybe that is naive of me.

10. Santinidollar

I give CT members a lot more than the benefit of the doubt. I’m talking about the Tom, Dick and Harrys that can view this site as guests without ever signing up.

tommyc03, SchwaVB57 and coin0709 like this.
  11. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Mostly empty but I still love the look of them!

Attached Files:

12. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

There are some that cant put the entire collection in one picture.

13. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I thought he meant a complete collection of a single series of US coins, like a full set of washington quarters.

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

And I agree with you. My post was asking why it is any less secure to post one's collection all at once or over time. I still don't see any difference from that perspective between posting 50 pics showcasing a 50,000 dollar collection or 1 pic showing the entire thing.

Either way, you are telling the world that you have a 50,000 dollar collection.

15. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I’ll keep posting the 200 coin photos from my $300 nickel collection. Not much incentive for mischief there!

ldhair likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I'm going to take the OPs request a little different and assume he didn't mean a snapshot of a safe deposit box, but rather a presentation of your collection. I haven't updated this in a few years, but it is still mostly correct. I present the Atlantic City Collection of Jefferson Nickels on the NGC Registry.

[​IMG]

17. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

thanks for the post! Perhaps not a safety deposit box, but more of how are they displayed, if at all.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm sure your intentions were well placed but this is not for me. The internet is more dangerous then at any time since I have been on it. Facebook is a prime example with their being hacked multiple times. The government has been hacked and supposedly they have the best security and encryption available. Key Loggers follow your every stroke of your key board and often hide in your registry where even some of the best programs cannot find them. And way too many people do not log out of their sites correctly, just close out their pages. And that's when hackers wait until you are idle to creep in the back door of your computer. Sorry, but this is not for me. I'm proud of what I've accomplished in 50+ years but not enough to risk inviting crooks into my life.

Santinidollar and SchwaVB57 like this.
  19. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I understand. It’s a shame we have to feel this way. I sure would like to share my collection securely and see others’ too. Too bad I have no coin collecting friends nearby...Maybe our hobby would have a more positive outlook w the younger generation if we could show and tell a little easier/more securely.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This is how they are displayed. In the virtual world, all you need are high quality photos to share your collection. The actual coins sit in their plastic coffins in a bank safe deposit box.

Personally, I don’t know anybody who displays their coins in their house. Additionally, I don’t want to know anyone who wants to know how & where coins are displayed.

tommyc03, ldhair and green18 like this.
  21. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I share all the concerns already mentioned. It’s a dilemma, for sure.

You want to have the coins and expend time, effort, and money to get them. Then you lock them away. They aren’t handy and you can’t see them.

I use photos and my computer to solve that.

I have all my animated coin portraits stored on a network storage device. I can access them from my home computers or iPhone at any tlme. In that sense my entire collection goes wherever I go.

I also wrote some custom software that runs continuously on my desktop and laptop. It shows the animated images in random order on both monitors, giving each one 15 seconds before moving to the next.

5E575D94-A0F9-49F8-AC89-600D74485253.jpeg
    (The sharp-eyed can see that I keep my birth-year Proof set on the desk, too.)

There’s also a laptop with two more monitors, so I have four coins showing all the time.
    • I can see any coin at any time
    • The animated images are fun to watch
    • The coins are bigger and easier to see than with a loupe
    • The coin does not need to be physically present - I could even sell them off
    • I periodically get reminders of what each coin is like
    • If something piques my interest I can always retrieve it for in-hand inspection
    Here, for example, is how that 1930-S on the left monitor looks on-screen.
    01c 1930-S #02 full 01.gif

And this is on the right.
    25c 1929 full 01.gif

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Bambam8778, dlhill132, JeffC and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted