Share your double-struck ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Just felt like starting a fun thread, so I thought I'd share a couple of my double-struck ancients and encourage everyone else to add theirs. Note that these are two of the Parthian coins that I have kept from my former collection, as I couldn't bear to part with them. Orodes II (57- 38 BC):
    Orodes II error.jpg
    And Artabanos II (10- 38 AD):
    Artabanos doublestruck.jpg

Mikey Zee, Smojo, Alegandron and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Valentinian I
    Coin: Bronze AE3
    D N VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG - Diademed draped & cuirassed bust right
    SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE - Victory advancing left, holding wreath & palm, no fieldmarks.
    Exergue:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Mint: Siscia (AD 364-367)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.35g / 18mm / -
    References:
    • RIC 7a, ii(a),
    • Cohen 37
    Notes: Jun 6, 15 - Double struck.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Philip II denarius.jpg
    I suspect this Philip II is double struck. What do you guys think? Pay close attention to the obverse.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron, Smojo and 6 others like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that coin messes with my head every time i see it...it's disturbingly awesome!

[​IMG]

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I purchased this for the wonderful reverse with a nearly full beaded border and forgave the obverse for its minor flaw.

V4.jpg

Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 2.71g
    Rome Mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC 4 (R), BMC 43, RSC 229
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: IVDAEA in ex.; Jewess (as type of Judaea), draped and veiled, seated r. on ground, head inclined downwards, l. knee drawn up, hand bound behind back and fastened to palm-tree

Mikey Zee, Alegandron, Smojo and 9 others like this.
  7. chrsmat71

i forgot to post a coin...

i know it kind of cheating to post a byzantine trachy, but i like the double head on st. constantine on this coin of alexius iii....

[​IMG]

@Sallent i'm not sure on your coin...what is it on the reverse that hints that it's double struck?

8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I have this coin of Emperor Gratian Which was double-struck, having 2 heads on the obverse. DoubleHead  Gratian.JPG DoubleH R.JPG

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Double struck ...

balbus errorx.jpg

... that's cheating I guess, eh?

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I wish our double-struck coins were silver dollars. We would all be millionaires.

11. chrsmat71

it's cheating, but that's awesome. :woot:

stevex6 likes this.
  12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

@chrsmat71 On the obverse you can see a faint hint of the nose, forehead, and hairline before the portrait and on the back of the portrait by the crown you can see hints of a second crown, and in the legend you see a faint impression of the legend a short bit above the actual legend.

Doesn't anyone else see it? It's even more noticeable in the hand

Mikey Zee and chrsmat71 like this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Really unique looking coins, esp. the one Pishpash posted....amazing cannot describe it!

14. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Were most ancients struck twice? Who ever held the die on this one was a little off center.

tetricussalus.jpg
    Tetricus I Antoninianus strike error
    Tetricus I Æ Antoninianus. IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate draped bust right /SALVS AVGG, Salus standing left, feeding serpent arising from altar.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This Constantine I Rome mint AE3 is one of my favorite coins.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f82.html
    [​IMG]

What makes it special is the reverse die being damaged by a die clash leaving an incuse of the obverse design that shows twice offset by the same amount as the double strike on the rest of the coin. This demonstrates that the die clash is damage to the die and not something like a restruck brockage as proposed by some people. Some doubles can be ugly and confusing but I always liked the combination of the bold face and doubled back of head on this coin.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I know I have shown this Magnentius mess too many times but I really like error combinations. This is a flipover doublestrike where the first strike was a brockage. That resulted in one side having both an obverse on a reverse while the other has two reverses, one normal and one incuse. I regret that the patina is a bit rough but I really enjoyed figuring out which detail came from which striking. These coins were struck in a high pressure hurried atmosphere. Most coins fell cleanly from the die but this one landed back rather well aligned but upside down for the second strike. It is also on my favorites page.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f95.html
    [​IMG]

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I've got a Byzentine I picked up earlier this year with the intention to learn from it. Unfortunately I've not spent much time on it (my own fault). At the time I wasn't sure if I was going to collect ancients or stay the course with moderns. Then I decided Byzentines was not were I wanted to go. I obviously decided to collect much older.
    I know its a Constantine X atleast I'm sure it is but don't know the overstrike.
    I'm considering giving it for secret santa this year but it depends on who I get I guess.
    But my curiousity is still there.
    Sorry, thought I had better pics of it on here.
    20160618_124348.jpg 20160619_092611.jpg
    Sometimes what my eye sees isn't what registers in the brain. I just realized the OP is double not over strike. My bad.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  18. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Kamnaskires IV tet (Elymais) with a bit of double-striking evident on both obverse and reverse. normal_Van__t_Haaff_8_1_1B_Kamnaskires_IV_tetradrachm.jpg

19. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

20. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Rockin' Widow's Mite:

image1 (3).JPG image2 (3).JPG

Erin

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

So many coins, so little time! As a full time dealer I have a lot on my hands, but I am a collector at heart. So, I have coins I just dont have time to get to, but I think I may have posted this one before. Just looking at briefly it I am not sure it is double struck, over struck, or a die or flan flaw. But here it is, one of my favorite coins, quite humble, but looking like a Cro Magnon or Neanderthal:

1.jpg :

Theodosius, Orfew, stevex6 and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted