shanxi's top 10 coins of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by shanxi, Dec 8, 2019.

1. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments. Larissa, Plotina and Vitellius seem to be your favorites, closely followed by Mark Antony and Rhoimetalkes :)

@Sallent: nice example, interesting how different Octavian looks on your coin

@Decon Ray: great coin, I like the presentation

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yes, Octavian on my coin looks as if the moneyers didn't yet know what a Octavian looked like, so they did a random youth face. You'll ses that throughout Roman History, when a guy first comes to power and the moneyers don't know what they look like they'll either modify a previous guy's face with generic features or leave the previous emperor's face , but the rest of the coin's style and everything else is as you'd expect from an official coin of the emperor whose name appears on the legends, so we know it's not a barbarous imitation. You don't see that very often, so when you get one you can be sure you've got one of the first coins of that guy to be struck. In my case there was no one previous on that coin with a face to modify, so the celators kinda winged it and created a random youth face.

Here's my famous Maximinus Trax which was in all likelyhood adapted from an already carved die of Severus Alexander.

Maximinus Thrax denarii.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Edessa, panzerman, shanxi and 2 others like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beauties, all of them Shanxi:) Congratulations on a fine year of collecting!
    John

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Looks like you had an awesome year!! I love the crowd favourites, particularly the Plotina and Larissa. There have been a few mentions of the Plautilla (what a lovely portrait!), but I must also give the Lampsakos some much deserved appreciation. It's a type I particularly enjoy, and that is a stellar example of the later style.

6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

great coins all - but that Plautilla is just hauntingly beautiful. I don't kow why Caracalla hd her killed!

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For some reason your 2019 selection is the closest of those I've seen to my own collection, with three I also have :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But my preference goes to the Larissa, and even more the Lampsakos for their beautiful style

Q

8. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

Cucumbor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted