Shame about the holes....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Aug 28, 2021.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..how ya gonna prove it?...i've heard of such, but i haven't seen any prove ..and why put a hole where one could string it and wear it as jewelry(and don't say 'costume' :p) rather punching a hole thru the center.. and maybe several times...but if its not a good coin, why allow it back in circulation at all?....i see holes in that theory Warren ....but enlighten me sir, for i respect you and your opinion :)..heres some of my HRE's holed...i know its a later era, but i think the applications the same.. IMG_0630.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I do not claim they were allowed back in circulation. I think most examples we have today are single finds of coins discarded because it was not legal to have them. To keep others from finding and using them, they were pierced.

Ancient Aussie and ominus1 like this.
  4. ominus1

interesting theory.....tell ya what im gonna do....i'll send mine to David Sear. if its a fourre, i'll pay...if its not, you pay....whada ya say ?...:D

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

No deal. Get a magnifying glass and look inside the hole. You should see the thin silver foil near the surface and darker copper within. If you can, light it up brightly and take a close-up photograph at an angle and post it here so we can see what you see.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. ominus1

..it looked dull in the hole...so i 'cleaned' it a bit....:) IMG_0634.JPG

7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

No darker copper inside mine and the thickness of < 0.1 mm at the hole, makes it quite impossible to have a copper core and a silver foil - will try (given my terrible skills at photography) to get a picture by daylight :)

8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

That was quite something trying to take a picture of a hole.:inpain:

After a lot of failed attempts, this picture of the Durmius denarius seems to be the best I can do:

upload_2021-9-2_21-58-31.png

And a side picture from the hole of the cistophorus, thickness < 0.1 mm:

upload_2021-9-2_22-5-12.png

I can see no copper showing through the holes.

Ancient Aussie, PeteB and Bing like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Thanks for alerting us to this interesting article, the first few sentences suited my buying profile for my OP.

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted