Shallow marks?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Came across this description today, “a few shallow marks under tone”. Is there a general consensus around what shallow marks means?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

"Shallow" is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. Yet, reading this description, I would assume that it refers to some sort of light scratches or maybe banker's marks or graffiti covered by cabinet toning.

Here is a coin that came described as "light scratches under toning." In my opinion, the irregular toning and awful die condition on the obverse is a far greater problem than the small scratches (graffiti?) on the reverse:
    Römische Republik – RRC 340:1, Denar, Piso Frugi, Apollo:Reiter.png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, AR denarius, 90 BC, Rome mint. Obv: laureate head of Apollo r.; control marks. Rev: L PISO FRVGI; horseman galloping r. with palm-branch; control mark CVI. 18mm, 3.77g. Ref: RRC 340/1.

This denarius had a similar description. Here I can see why:
    Rom – Marcus Aurelius, Denar, Iuventas.png
    Marcus Aurelius (as Caesar), Roman Empire, denarius, 140–144 AD, Rome mint. Obv: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F COS; head of Marcus Aurelius, bare, r. Rev: IVVENTAS, Iuventas (youth) standing l., dropping incense in candelabrum and holding patera. 17.5mm, 3.16g. Ref: RIC III Antoninus Pius 423a.

4. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

This is perfect thank you! My concern was whether shallow marks were in the same category as cleaning damage. Glad to see it’s just natural wear and tear so to speak! Feel better about bidding now :)

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As the member stated, degree is a matter of personal standards/knowledge and experience.

For example, both ancients have obvious scratch damage. Now, we get into my personal opinion based on my experience and my PERSONAL standards which I apply when grading professionally.

NOTE: None of this applies to the watered-down, flowery descriptions found in auction catalogues written to show the coin in the best light: "Smoothed" replaces extremely carved up surface alteration done with a metal tool.

The top coin is scratched. We don't call scratches "marks" even though they actually are "marks" on the coin. Scratches are usually "shallow" because the deep scratch-like marks are generally called "gouges." The "marks" on the lower coin are serious "gouges." They are deeper into the coin. One "mark" is a crack in the coin.

It's all less complicated than it reads. Each of us decides for ourselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted