Shaking My Head

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seascape, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

This just has me really bummed out right now. I offered this guy half his asking price he countered. I'm very hesitant. There's no way around it...theres a problem I will have to deal with if I own this coin. So unfortunate.

Fyi....tap coin gently to sink in flip. Carefully slit plastic. Push coin through. s-l400-11.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Why unfortunate . Your getting a very Nice Coin , I love it , yea sure . Cheer Up mate !! ;)

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

What is wrong with the coin ? The price ?

capthank and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Sounds more like my mid life crisis right now .:hilarious::hilarious:

eddiespin likes this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Maybe he is referring to the two scratches through the 1

spirityoda, The Eidolon and Seascape like this.
  7. Seascape

It's a gorgeous coin but......

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Too bad about the scratches, otherwise a nice example of a very beautiful design. I own a well-circulated example, my only problem was falling in love with the beautiful lady on the coin despite the fact that she's fictional.

9. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

We are supposed to speculate why you have an issue with this coin? Why don't you state your dilemma?

10. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Seascape thats a really nice coin, so what's up? scratches? price? i really dont understand why you would posy ""Fyi....tap coin gently to sink in flip. Carefully slit plastic. Push coin through. ???? well whatever it is good luck buddy

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not a very difficult thing to do, but I'm confused :wacky:

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Count me in on the confused issue.

13. Seascape

Sorry I was so vague. I believe it's a staple scratch. My problem with it is... I don't think I want such a nice example but with a scratch. I might be annoyed by it? But to find another in such pristine Condition might be a while......

Just aggravating.

14. Robert Ransom

Here's my take. You seem to be fixated by the "staple" scratch which tells me your attention will always be drawn to this issue every time you look at the coin after you purchase it, so logic says to look for another, IMO.

15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I faced that same issue, @Seascape, several years ago. I wanted a high-grade Barber quarter for my type set, and bought a beautiful one with some money that had been gifted to me. When I got the coin there was a tiny, tiny scratch under her chin, only noticeable under a loupe or if held in the right light. A beautiful coin, but my eyes were drawn to it every time I looked at it (just as @Robert Ransom said).

I got rid of it.

Steve

Joshua Lemons and Seascape like this.
  16. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about that coin but, I avoid coins with scratches, rim bumps, finger prints and dirt in the lettering. And of course bronze disease and harshly cleaned or over dipped coins. It really comes down to what your willing to pay for that coin.

If he countered with a higher price than you offered just say no thanks and move on. Because you offered and he refused it's as simple as that. You don't owe him anything. However, if he comes back and says he accept your offer that's when its on you. That's making a deal and unfortunately if you back out of your offer it won't look good for you if you ever want to deal with that person in the future. Also if he comes back a few days after giving you a counter offer and then says he would sell it to you at the price you offered you don't have to buy it. Realistically, if you make an offer to buy something and your offer isn't taken within a reasonable time your offer no longer exists. Generally, no more than a few hours or 24 hours if you made an offer online with a dealer that is on the other side of the country. If this is a face to face situation then that's a different situation. Playing games when dealing face to face can get ugly quick.

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

AH... I see it now the scratch on the 1st 1 on the date 1913. That would bother me. I would pass on that coin.

18. Seascape

Let me clarify. Ask was 80. I offered 40 but was really unsure. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have honored the deal. I would have...but he countered 67.... and I'm sitting on that. I do not want to be 67 into a problem coin.

Other than that when I saw the coin for 80 I was thrilled...tham I saw the scratch and felt let down once I started realizing I just couldn't love the coin.

That's all. Thanks everybody for expressing they're pov on this.

thomas mozzillo and spirityoda like this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yes the scratch (just one on the first number 1) is a real distractor, but if you need the coin to fill a slot, or just love the coin for its design, then offer the seller a bit more, pointing out the damage, and see what they say. If you can pick up the coin for under current market value (which I have no idea what it is) I would consider it a win and still enjoy it, scratch or no scratch. JMHO

20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that looks too deep for me to be a staple scratch. I would pass no matter what the price. Just my opinion, of course.

Razz likes this.
  21. Robert Ransom

Screenshot_2021-03-18 Shaking My Head.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-18 Shaking My Head (3).png
    Serrated scratch.

Draft saved Draft deleted