Severus Alexander & Maximinus Thrax

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TJC, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander to Maximinus Thrax

I recently added a Severus Alexander sestertius and two Maximinus Thrax sestertii to my Third Century collection. While viewing my new purchases along with my previous purchases of Severus Alexander and Maximinus Thrax I decided to share all 6 coins together as they represent a broad and interesting range of portraits that can be found of these two emperors. Here are the coins with some commentaries.
    Please share any Severus Alexander and/or Maximinus Thrax coins you like.

This first coin was a purchase from a NYINC show a few years ago. It came out of a pick bin. The obverse has deposits over the ‘young’ portrait of Severus Alexander. The rainbow toning surrounding the deposits gives the obverse an attractive quality. I have had this coin up for sale a couple of times but am glad it never sold. It has grown on me. The highlight of the coin is the Victory reverse with stellar VF detail and rainbow cabinet toning I am a sucker for. It deserves better pics I have yet to take. A peculiarity of this coin is that it weighs only 1.92 grams, with a diameter of 18.5 mm. This light weight may indicate that it is an AR limes denarius or represent a lack of quality (or in this case quantity of silver) control. Perhaps some silver from this batch found its way to the coin pouch of a mint worker?

Young Alexander Severus was just 13 years old when he was raised as emperor. At that time he was the youngest Roman emperor ever to take the purple. It is likely the memory of his cousin Elagabalus being murdered by the Praetorian Guard was still fresh in his memory. And just like that he was raised emperor. He had one best, “how did you get this job” stories in the palace.
    SevAlexVictory339O.jpg SevAlexVictory339R.jpg
    Severus Alexander, (Early Portrait). Denarius. Antioch mint.
    O: IMP SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate, draped bust right
    Rx: VICTORIA AVG, Victory running right with palm and wreath, star in right field. RSC 560. RIC
    1.92 Grams. 18.5 mm

This next S Alexander is a local coin shop purchase from some years ago. The portrait shows an ‘older’ S Alexander with a short beard. Both the obverse and reverse have an attractive cabinet rainbow toning. The reverse has a likeable SPES (HOPE) with a large die crack running from the E is SPES toward the B in PUBLICA. This reverse die was surely on its last legs with that bisecting crack. If someone were to ask me what I look for in a coin this would be one of the coins I would pull from collection to show. It has eye appeal, is well centered, full legends, nice rainbow toning, very few distracting marks, VF condition with even wear and a cool die crack. Yeah, I like this coin!
    SeverusAlex339O.jpg SeverusAlex339R.jpg
    Severus Alexander Denarius. 232 AD.
    O: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rx: SPES PVBLICA, Spes walking left holding flower and hem of skirt. RSC 546.
    Reference: RIC IV 254; BMCRE 897; RSC 546
    2.73 grams. 20 mm.

The next two coins have portraits that can be compared and contrasted. They are a ‘late’ portrait of Sev Alexander and ‘early’ portrait of Maximinus Thrax. Both are recent purchases made to complete a subset of Maximinus Thrax’s ‘early’, ‘middle’, and ‘late’ portraits. I do not consider this subset complete without a late date Severus Alexander because it is hypothesized that the early portraits of Maximinus Thrax are based on late portraits of S Alexander. The thought is that the die cutters at the mint did not have a likeness of the Thracian giant Maximinus to know what he looked like so they just altered dies of Severus Alexander. Below you can compare and contrast the late portrait of S Alexander (left) with an early portrait of Maximinus Thrax (rt.).
    SeverusASolx339O.jpg MaxSevVictory339O1.jpg
    Check out Valentinian’s website for great info on Maximinus Thrax the Thracian giant’s coinage: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Maximinus/Maximinus.html

The S Alexander is a bit scumbly but I like it for couple of reasons. I like the high relief of the obverse because it shows a strong profile of S Alexander. Another reason is the awesome Sol reverse! I have been on the lookout for this specific reverse showing Sol in raise-the-sun stance with his cloak billowing behind. So “graphic novel” dramatic that I have wanted one and am happy to give this one a home.

This coin was minted in 234 AD. In 235 AD the low born Thracian usurper Maximinus Thrax would have his men slay the 26 year old S Alexander and his mother. Severus Alexander ruled the empire with his mother and advisors guiding his hand for 13 years. He lasted way longer than his cousin Elagabalus who didn’t last 4 years. The next emperor to rule as long as he would be Gallienus (253-268 AD).
    SeverusASolx339O.jpg SeverusASolx339R.jpg
    Severus Alexander Æ Sestertius. 234 AD.
    O: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate draped bust right
    Rx: PM TR P XIII COS III S-C, Sol walking left, raising right hand & holding whip, cloak trailing behind. RIC 538, Cohen 449, BMC 953, Sear 8004.
    29mm. 16.62 grams

As mentioned previously this sestertius shows an early portrait of “Maximinus Thrax” thought by many to be an alteration of S Alexander’s portrait. I really like this coin. It has great eye appeal. The obverse has an attractive black / green mottled patina with a handsome portrait of “Maximinus Thrax” in VF. The Victory reverse is only Good but has a beautiful black/green/yellow/red mottled patina. Very nice coin in hand!! The photo shows at least some of its pizzazz.

Although Maximinus was of barbarian (Thracian) birth and never stepped foot in Rome during his reign he had served in the legions since the time of S Alexander’s ‘grandfather’ Septimius Severus. He would have been familiar with Rome’s streets and its citizens.
    MaxSevVictory339O1.jpg MaxSevVictory339R1.jpg

Maximinus I (Early portrait. Resembling Severus Alexander?). 235-236 AD.
    Æ Sestertius.
    O: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust rt
    Rx: VICTORIA AVG S-C, Victory advancing right bearing wreath & palm. RIC 67, Cohen 100, BMC 27.
    15 grams. 29 mm

This next Maximinus is another NYINC show pick-up from a few years ago. It has been a highlight of my collection for years now and was my only Maximinus Thrax until now. I like it as much now as when I purchased it. It came to me in a NGC holder graded VF, 4/5 Strike, 5/5 Surfaces. I have since broken it out. In my opinion NGC did a good job designating grade and condition. This sestertius is the AE standard bearer for “nicest surfaces” in my collection. The beautiful olive/green/black original patina is mesmerizing and Pax sure is pretty!
    MaximinusThraxPax339O.jpg MaximinusThraxPax339R.jpg
    Maximinus I (Middle portrait)
    AE sestertius. AD 235-236.
    O: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right
    Rx: PAX AVGVSTI, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and transverse sceptre. S-C across fields. RIC 58; Cohen 34; Sear 8332 var (obv. legend).
    24.95 grams, 33 mm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All very nice coins, with some wonderful portraits, congrats on some great additions.

TJC likes this.
  4. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Last but not least is this ‘late’ portrait of the Thracian giant with a bull neck and a strong jawline that extends out to a prominent chin. It too is a recent purchase. The high relief of the obverse is quite nice as it emphasizes the brutish features of Maximinus Thrax who is thought to have had gigantism (acromalogy). There is a debate over this that will likely never be solved but what we do know is that he was a very big dude! This late portrait style is said to support the ‘gigantism’ camp followers because abnormal growth of the jaw is characteristic of the acromalogy. I consider the gigantism theory a plausible theory but also believe he could have just been a big dude.

Both the obverse and reverse of this sestertius has a fantastic tan/green/red mottled patina that I really like. The reverse shows a weakly struck Victory in Fine to maybe VF condition. It appears to me that the large obverse portrait stole the majority of the metal during striking. It is doubtful that high detail on this Victory reverse was ever fully struck up. At least some of the flatness of Victory can be attributed to shallow strike and not just wear. Despite the shallow strike and wear I consider this Victory to be Victory for me because of its great eye appeal. The artistry of Victory, the detail on the wings, and the patina makes this reverse one of my favorite Victories!

Maximinus Thrax would be Emperor for 3 years and 3 months. While Maximinus Thrax excelled on the battlefield against barbarians he bungled it against Aquilea’s walls. Maximinus pushed his men too hard. They murdered him before the gates of Aquileia, a Roman city that refused him as emperor.
    MaximinusChin339O.jpg MaximinusChin339R.jpg
    Maximinus I (Late portrait)
    AE sestertius. AD 235-236.
    O: MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM. Late portrait style.
    Rx: VICTORIA GERMANICA, Victory standing over Germanic captive holding wreath and palm. Sear 8341, RIC 90, BMC 191
    17.73 grams, 31 mm

I currently reading “Maximinus Thrax, Strongman Emperor of Rome”. Great book; $2.00 purchase on Kindle with my iPhone.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great portrait of Max @TJC

TJC likes this.
  6. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Fantastic write-up about these two emperors, thanks!

TJC likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's a Maximinus Thrax from the FSR auction a couple of weeks ago. Denarius with FIDES MILITVM on the reverse. Unfortunately that did not last because Maximinus and his son Maximus were slain by their own men outside the walls of Aquilea during their ill-fated siege of the town that was controlled by Balbinus and Pupienus.

maxthrax1.jpg

maxthrax2.jpg

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Does anyone have a Provincial with a big chin? I don't.

Alexandria tetradrachm Maximinus year 3
    pa1967bb3210.jpg

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I've got a pretty close match to your SA sestertius with the sol/kinky whip reverse!

102_4252_zps85a7cf01.jpg

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That Max Thrax with the Pax is a gorgeous sestertius! Here are a couple of sestertii in my collection:

Severus Alexander Libertas Sestertius.jpg

Maximinus Salus Sestertius.jpg

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice..all nice coins OP and posted. sadly, these two are missing in my collection plate so far.

Roman Collector and TJC like this.
  12. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander and Maximinus
    062-03A.jpg 062-03B.jpg
    062-02A.jpg 062-02B.jpg
    065-01A-Maximinus I.jpg 065-01B.jpg

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice pickups @TJC

Severus Alexander AD 225

[​IMG]

Severus Alexander AD 232

[​IMG]

Maximinus Thrax AD 236

[​IMG]

Q

14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! That IOVI VLTORI reverse is STUNNING!

TJC and Cucumbor like this.
  15. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Here are some more nice provincials. The first one is Severus Alexander from Anazarbos. On the reverse is Nike, trophy over her shoulder, in biga stepping right. 26-29 mm, 15.87 gr. Sear 3356.

3251 Anazarbos ct.jpg

The second is an Alexandrian tetradrachm, 22 mm, 12.57 gr., year 6 of his reign.

3275 A Sev Al.jpg

And here's Maximinus, first the Alexandrian tetradrachm with the god Hermanubis on the reverse. Year 3 (237 AD), 22 mm, 11.81 gr.

3270 A.jpg
    The chin is a bit pointy, but very far from the Western Roman types.

And the last coin is the bronze of the city of Metropolis in Ionia, that our Provincial cities list prompted me to buy. Maximinus has a hook nose here alright on this coin, but no protruding chin.
    Reverse showing the river god Astraios holding a plant and resting his elbow on a fallen urn as a source of water. 21.5 mm, 4.37 gr.

3280 Metropolis 500.jpg

16. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are some amazing SA and Max Thrax coins Everyone!!!

@ Q. That is an amazing Severus Alexander / IOVI denarius!

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Maximinus 1.jpg
    MAXIMINUS I
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: VICTORIAAVG - Victory advancing right, holding wreath and palm
    Struck at Rome, 235-236 AD March - January
    2.8g, 21mm
    RIC 16, BMC 25, C 99
    Severus Alexander 11.jpg
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: P M TR P X COS III P P, Sol, radiate. standing left with raised hand and globe
    Struck at Rome, 231 AD
    3.4g, 20mm
    RIC 109

18. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Nice coins! I like the Eastern denarii of Alexander with Victory running. Great toning!

Here's one of mine:
    ale_mk_2017_0625_02.jpg
    Severus Alexander. AR denarius, Eastern mint, struck 222–3 CE; 18mm, 3.24g, 6h. BMCRE 1038–40, RIC 301, RSC 559. Obv: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG; laureate and draped bust right. Rx: V-I-CTORIA AVG; Victoria advancing right holding wreath and palm, star in field right. Scarce; twenty in Reka Devnia with star in reverse field right, no cuirass, and C M AVR in obverse legend. MS.

From the Dr. Paul Balla Collection.

--------------------------------------

Here's Max Thrax looking a lot like Severus Alexander but with a big chin attached:
    max-i_mk_2015_1002_02.jpg
    Maximinus I (Thrax). Augustus 235–8 CE. AR denarius, Rome mint, struck 235 CE; 2.75g. BMCRE 11, RIC 1, RSC 46. Obv: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG; laureate and draped bust right. Rx: P M TR P – P P; Maximinus standing almost front, head left, between two standards, raising right hand and holding long scepter. Good VF.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted