Severus Alexander Denarius Bust Type Question - IOVI PROPVGNATORI

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Just in the mail, this common denarius of Severus Alexander - this is RIC 238 I believe, IOVI PROPVGNATORI where Jupiter is holding an eagle.

My question has to do with the bust type - mine seems to be draped (and cuirassed?) seen from behind. I looked at dozens of these, and all of them - I mean all - are busts seen from the front.

Here's mine, with bust seen from behind:
    Severus Alexander - Den IOVI PVG lot Aug 2021 (0).jpg

Here's a typical from-the-front bust (from a Vcoins listing):
    Severus Alexander - Denarius IOVI PROPVGNATORI holding eagle RIC 238 - Vcoinsbust1.jpg
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ro...natori_jupiter_ric_238_vf/639134/Default.aspx

Here is a Coin Archives search with a bunch of these - bust types are all from the front:

https://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=IOVI+Alexander+PROPVGNATORI

Am I interpreting this correctly? Bust from the front = shoulder lines up with back of the head and both shoulders visible / Bust from the rear = shoulder lines up with jaw, only one shoulder visible.

My worry is that mine could be a fake - it is a bit heavy for these at 3.47 grams. Or I'm missing something in OCRE, etc. Any help much appreciated.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I'm afraid you are correct: your coin cannot be authentic, combining as it does the obv. legend of 222-228, IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, with the IOVI PROPVGNATORI Eagle rev. type of 232-235.

Any chance you can return it for a refund?

4. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Don't know nothing but can provide the RIC pages :

E6453D9F-4EC7-4114-B5A5-98A2BF4F29F6.jpeg

8A53723F-0B7A-4C02-B08D-C571D199E655.jpeg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Well darn! :( I hadn't gotten around to checking the obverse legend yet. Thanks for pointing this out - I'd rather know the truth!

I'm just going to put it in my black box and not return it - it came in a lot from a seller who had a bunch of ancients he admitted he didn't know much about. The rest of the batch is okay, I'm pretty certain, and the price was right; if there's only one dud I feel it was still a good deal (especially that Claudius II tet and the two sestertii):
    _Lot 8 Romans Aug 2021 (0).jpg

This seller had four or five other lots of Roman/Greeks and there were a couple of obvious fakes here and there, but most of the stuff looked pretty good - the prices went higher than I was willing to go for the others. They looked like the typical hodge-podge from an estate or dealer clean-out. If any CTers won these, please share.

Thanks again for the info!

6. Marsyas Mike

Thanks for the info Octarinetabellatchitichix, - unfortunately my "not in RIC" is not in RIC because it is a fake. Ah the perils of bottom-feeding!

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted