Severus Alexander as Caesar from Nicaea

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Sep 17, 2020.

1. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This one was presented from a Middle European collection as a regular Severus Alexander Augustus:

alexander.jpg
    AE23mm 6.18g orichalcum (brass) assaria multiple, minted at Nicaea, ca. 221-222.
    Μ˙ ΑΥ˙Ρ˙ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡΟϹ ΚAI; bare-headed draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from back
    NI - KA - IE - ON; three legionary standards
    cf. RPC VI 3096 (temporary), cf. RecGen 580a

Notes: This variation is not recorded in the regular references but the general type is well known. Similar spec here.

The obverse die was also used for different reverse types, as seen here and here. The coinage for Alexander as Caesar is usually scarce to rare and dies used for different types with the same obverse are regular within colonial coinage.

The alloy used is also interesting, as orichalcum is evocative of imperial sestertii, possibly this issue was tariffed at 4 colonial assaria, the equivalent in official terms to the imperial sestertius of four asi. The assaria from Nicaea in Bithynia was used extensively, as finds confirm, as currency in Moesia Superior and in Dacia Traiana during the 3rd century, as limes provinces were not very well provided with Imperial coinage. Colonial assaria such as this specimen were of paramount importance to the local economy on the Roman Danube, which is probably how this specimen ended up in a Middle European collection, possibly a find from Pannonia or Raetia or Moesia Superior.

Marsyas Mike, DonnaML, Limes and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Always worth keeping an eye out for SA coins without the laurel wreath. Nice snag!

Here's my denarius as Caesar:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 8.57.41 PM.jpg

4. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander with the laurel wreath, Nicaea
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-2z5sDNzzPPOuq.jpg

Marsyas Mike, DonnaML, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

As Augustus from Nicaea:

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, AD 222-235
    Bithynia, Nicaea 4.57 gm; 21.5 mm
    Obv: Μ ΑVΡ CΕV ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟC ΑV, radiate and draped bust, r., seen from behind.
    Rev: ΝΙΚΑΙΕΩΝ between three standards.
    Refs: SNG von Aulock 634; SNG Copenhagen 520 var; Sear 3287 var. (laureate bust).

6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander your denar is top notch. My impression is that Imperial coinage for Alexander as Caesar is even rarer than coinage in his name from the Greek colonies. Nicaea minted extensively in the first part of the 3rd century but even with such an overwhelming output, coinage for Alexander Caesar is conspicuously scarce. I think there were 3 obverse dies -- one with KAI (this one here) and two with K. Has this been your experience also?

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I haven't made a study of it, but yes - certainly very few obverse dies on the Nicaea coins. As for the relative scarcity of imperial vs. provincial types, there are over 200 provincial hits for SA as Caesar on acsearch compared to 50-60 denarii. There are lots of provincial types, but only 2 denarius types. There were 4 of the Indulgentia type in the Reka Devnia.

The other denarius is a sacrificial implements type. I prefer this one because of the unusual pairing of Spes with the INDVLGENTIA legend - the hope of the new Caesar, along with the "generosity" of Elagabalus for forgiving him and nevertheless naming him Caesar. Forgiving him for what? For existing, pretty much. :D Turns out this was a mistake - pretty soon after they had a Caesar to succeed, the soldiers dumped Elagabalus into the Tiber.

Marsyas Mike and Edessa like this.
  8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Another spec, this time a RecGen 580 variation with a bare-head right in truncation:

alexander.jpg
    AE24mm 5.10g copper assaria multiple, minted at Nicaea, ca. early 222(?)
    Μ ΑΥΡ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡΟϹ K; bare-head right
    NI - KA - IE - ON; three legionary standards
    cf. RPC VI 3096 (temporary), cf. RecGen 580a

This effigy variation is not regular for Imperial issues either, although it becomes common after 222 during his reign as Augustus.

Also, this specimen seems to be of red copper rather than brass orichalcum.

Draft saved Draft deleted