Featured Severus Alexander: a mummy's boy.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Sep 30, 2020.

1. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Wow. What a wide range. Must have irritated bankers and businessmen! And private individuals as well!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Ruled 222-235 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck 224 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, bust of Severus Alexander, laureate, draped, right.
    Reverse: P M TR P III COS P P, Severus Alexander, laureate, in military attire with cloak behind back, standing left, holding globe in right hand and spear reversed in left hand.
    References: RIC IV 44c

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Ruled 222-235 AD
    AE As, Struck 225 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES M AVR SEV ALEXANDER AVG, Bust of Severus Alexander, laureate, draped, right.
    Reverse: P M TR P IIII COS P P, Severus Alexander, in military attire, standing left, holding globe in right hand and spear reversed in left hand, S-C in field.
    References: RIC IV 435
    Size: 26.5mm, 10.2g

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, AE Dupondius
    Struck 224 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES M AVR SEV ALEXANDER AVG, Bust of Severus Alexander, radiate, draped, right.
    Reverse: PONTIF MAX TR P III COS P P, Severus Alexander, in military attire, standing left, holding globe in right hand and inverted spear in left hand, S-C in field.
    References: RIC IV 420h
    Size: 25mm, 8.3g

I'm still on the look out for a sestertius of the type! :joyful:

Edit:
    @gogili1977 Is that one a sestertius? I'd assume yes, based on the size of the legend and devices. Cool!!

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Typical oblong flan of the mid third century Sestertii:

Severus Alexander, 222-235 A.D. VICTORIA AVGVSTI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..hehe....not a good system when you have to weigh coins to make change..><

6. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Yes, sestertius. I don't have as and dupondius.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Roman Collector and Justin Lee like this.
  7. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Doug,

Your first three denarii are Eastern, but your fourth, MARTI PACIFERO, is mint of Rome, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Happy B'day Alex !!

Great coins all
    The nice thing with Severus Alexander's coins is most often their availability on the market in nice condition and at afordable price.

Grandma' Maesa :

[​IMG]
    Julia Maesa, Denarius - Rome mint AD 218-220
    IVLIA MAESA AVG, Bust of Maesa right
    IVNO, Juno standing left holding patera and sceptre
    3.48 gr
    Ref : RCV #7750, Cohen #16

Mom' Mamaea :

[​IMG]
    Julia Mamea, denarius - Rome mint AD 228
    IVLIA MAMEA AVG, Draped and diademed bust of Mamea right
    FELICITAS PUBLICA, Felicity standing left, holding a caduceus and leaning on a column
    3.39 gr
    Ref : Cohen #17, RCV #8209

[​IMG]
    Julia Mamaea, Sestertius - Rome mint, AD 224
    IVLIA MAMA EA AVGVSTA, Draped and diademed bust right
    VENERI FELICI, Venus standing right, holding Cupid and a sceptre. SC in field
    17.85 gr
    Ref : RIC # 694, RCV # 8232, Cohen # 62

Lil' boy :

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 225
    IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate head of Severus Alexander right
    IOVI VLTORI, Jupiter seated left holding victory and spear
    3.26 gr
    Ref : RCV #7873 (75), Cohen #97

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 225
    IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate and draped bust right
    P M TRP IIII COS P P Mars advancing right, carrying spear and trophy
    3.19 gr
    Ref : RCV # 7898 (75), C # 260

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 232
    IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, holding cornucopia and branch, modius at feet
    3.67 gr
    Ref : RIC # 250, Cohen # 501, RCV # 7922 (75)

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander, Sestertius - Rome mint AD 231
    IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, Laureate bust of Severus Alexander righ, with light drapery on left shoulder
    IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre, with a small figure of the emperor at his feet, SC in field
    14.75 gr
    Ref : RCV #7966, Cohen # 74

Q

9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Great coins, Cucumbor!! Especially the last sestertius!

Cucumbor likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only coin of Severus Alexander:

Severus Alexander AR Denarius. Obv. Laureate head right, IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG. / Rev. Fides standing left holding standard in each hand, FIDES MILITVM. RIC IV-2 139, RSC III 52, Sear RCV II 7864. 19 mm., 2.9 g.

Severus Alexander jpg version.jpg

11. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

An Alexandrian Drachm of Alex Sev. Emmett-3157.10 (R4); G-2453; Dattari-4444, pl xxxi & DS-10011; Milne-3046; Staffieri 'Alexandria In Nummis' #208

upload_2020-10-2_2-45-30.png

From CNG Triton XXI Stafierri: "The palm frond on Severus Alexander’s regnal year 10 coinage alludes to the decennalia ludi, public games celebrating the completion of a ten-year reign. He would continue to use the palm frond on his coinage through his year 14 coinage."

- Broucheion

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, I cataloged it incorrectly 20 years ago and never looked back. Thank you.

curtislclay likes this.
  13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have too many SAs to bore you with. In these "interesting times" I think the following coin is relevant however...

Obv:– IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– VIRVS (sic) AVG, Virtus standing right, holding reversed spear and victory

[​IMG]

I apologise for the poor image. I need to track it down and do it the justice of a more up to date photograph.

14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Missed this great thread. Here are some of my favourite SAs.

SA as Caesar (denarius). The Indulgentia reverse is unusual in this context, and seems to represent Elagabalus's "great magnanimity" in naming SA Caesar despite his past perceived transgressions. Bestowing the title was probably orchestrated by Julia Maesa.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.26.29 PM.jpg

I have a thing for SA's middle bronzes, and this is one of my favourites: an accession issue dupondius advertising a liberality:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.30.12 PM.jpg

I also like this childlike portrait on an early issue (222-223) from Alexandria:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.31.29 PM.jpg

... and the slightly older-looking portrait on this sestertius from 223:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.33.01 PM.jpg

This next one is actually a medallion (or "pseudo-medallion" in Toynbee's terminology), with indications on the edge that it was enclosed in a frame. The dies are as-sized, but the coin is sestertius sized (it was listed in the auction catalogue as an ordinary sestertius). The legend/type combo is not in RIC. Probably it was a ceremonial New Year's issue for when SA received his third tribunician power in 224. I feel very lucky to have this coin, which I doubt I could have afforded if it had been described correctly!
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.34.46 PM.jpg

Here's another medallion, though ordinary as-sized in this case. It lacks "S C" on the reverse, indicating it's a special issue, for the third liberality in 226. It has a cool pedigree too: the G.G. collection of middle bronzes, the R. D. Frederick collection, the Curtis Clay collection, and then back to the collection of the Marquis de Albrecht Hohenkubin (von Kubinzky)(1885-1972). His home was bombed out in WWII and the only reason his collection survived is because it was not dug out of the rubble until 1955.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.43.11 PM.jpg

I like this ceremonial reverse type (as, issued 229):
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.44.01 PM.jpg

Dupondii of the period don't come much nicer than this (issued 231):
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.47.22 PM.jpg

SA is off to Persia! (This will not end well!!) (Another as, also from 231.)
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.48.31 PM.jpg

And we come to the end of the reign in 235. :( I'll never forgive that bully MaxThrax!! Almost everyone regretted the change in emperor, at least eventually.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 3.50.25 PM.jpg

Finn235, Cucumbor, gogili1977 and 8 others like this.
  15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of this thread I thought there might be an Egyptian connection. Here's a nice overview of the 4 Roman Julias: Powerful Women of Imperial Rome.
    I will add a coin of the "Mummy's Boy" or "Mamaea's Boy", Severus Alexander, that I am fairly sure is Rome mint - and hope that @dougsmit, @curtislclay or others will correct me if I have it wrong. I've always had difficulty passing up a Salus reverse, and even more so this year. I particularly like the youthful portrait from his first year - the youngest emperor, until Gordian III in AD 238 - I also like the bold snake on this coin.
    Severus Alexander Salus.jpg
    Severus Alexander, AR denarius, 222-235 AD, Rome or Antioch (?), 222 AD
    Obv: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right
    Rev: P M TR P - COS P P, Salus seated left holding patera to snake rising from altar, left elbow on arm rest
    Ref: RIC 14c (style difference?) RIC 298 (Severus Alexander) (different legend)

A few pages of Herodian are interesting to read, describing the plans of Julia Maesa to keep her offspring in control of Rome as Heliogabalus (Elagabalus) became increasingly unacceptable. He also describes how Alexianus became Alexander, and the control exerted by Maesa and Mamaea over the young emperor:

"...the emperor was dominated by his mother and obeyed her every command. One might bring this single charge against Alexander, that his excessive amiability and abnormal filial devotion led him to bow to his mother in matters he personally disapproved."
    -Herodian, History of the Roman Empire since the Death of Marcus Aurelius, 6.1.10

Here's a coin of the power behind the emperor:
    Julia Mamaea Fel Pub.jpg
    Julia Mamaea, Issued by Severus Alexander, 222 - 235 AD, AR Denarius, Rome Mint
    Obv:
    IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, Bust of Julia Mamaea, diademed, draped, right
    Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA, Felicitas, draped, seated left, holding caduceus in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand
    Ref: RIC IV Severus Alexander 338

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Cucumbor, DonnaML, PeteB and 4 others like this.
  16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

@Sulla80,
    That Severus Alexander looks like Antioch rather than Rome.

My most recent Severus Alexander is shown below.

Severus Alexander denarius

Obv:– IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate, draped bust right
    Rev:– CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left holding patera and cornucopiae
    Minted in Antioch .
    Reference:– RIC 275. RSC 38

Ex Dereham hoard (found December 2004 and January 2007). Part of Lot 69 from the Dix Noonan Webb Auction containing the majority of the hoard sold in London on 9th April 2008.

3.58g. 18.73mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

PeteB, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My interest in Eastern Severans is strong early and fall greatly by the time of Alexander so my opinions are not worth a lot. There are quite a few Alexanders that I find 'middle ground' including one which was corrected by Curtis earlier in this thread.
    I see yours in this group. Right now I'll guess Rome but I would like to see metallurgical evidence on the coins that might shed light on which coins were made where. Understand I am not proposing a third mint or coins made one place and shipped to another or, for that matter, anything but I am just saying I'd prefer we allow for future reexamination. There are too many possibilities (again, I am not proposing this). What would be the evidence on coins if staff from Antioch were moved to Rome and gradually assimilated Roman style? We walk a fine line between writing historical fiction and dismissing what will eventually be thought to be truth.

Attached Files:

18. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doug, I appreciate your thoughts. Wrestling with the question of how did a coin from Antioch end up with a legend from Rome or equally how did coin of Rome have a style of Antioch, your practical example helps to at least imagine possibilities - a Roman in Antioch, a Syrian in Rome, dies moving around.....I will enjoy the ambiguity unless someone has more evidence...

Draft saved Draft deleted