Settle this dispute - Kennedy Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Swervo513, Jun 12, 2021.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Your coworker is suffering from "I struck it rich" disease. It's much easier to deal with anonymously on a forum than it is in person. Good luck.

The parts that gets me going about that etsy ad are "without Mint Mark" and "with No mint stamp mint error". This idiotic nonsense that any coin without a mint mark is somehow valuable came from somewhere, and it just will not die.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Some people are so gullible they believe the MSM too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2021
  4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Us old guys that started when Philadelphia had NEVER put a MM on it's coins and was the MAIN MINT just roll our eyes.

5. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

You will never convince this person of the facts.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The coin on "Etsy" has hairlines, and is also worth about $10. One could see where he would be misled there.

The $22,000 coin on the Heritage site is in a very high grade and has attractive toning. I would be out at about $250 to $300 if I wanted it. The 5 figure price is for registry points and whoever that collector was.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If this gets edited than the post I responded to gets edited.
    EDITED
    We have moderators that are quite biased in there editing. It's a bunch of BS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2021
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

That co-worker may not be your boss, but if you wanted to get rid of him, tell him it's worth hundreds of thousands and he should quit his job that very second because he is rich. LOL
    Seriously, I'd not do that, but thought if the guy is that gullible, he'd be an easy mark.

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have a hard time understanding why someone would even ask about the value of a coin from us, when they can probably go to a coin store and look someone in the face to get the value of the ETSY Half Dollar. I know you guys are just joking around, but I am sure that there are those that are so anxious to get rich, they won't listen to anyone, even to you guys. He needs to do more research than on this site, even though we know you guys know everything about everything.

10. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

I have a friend that got sucked in by a esty scammer who advertised a 1920 Lincoln cent as a VERY RARE investment and after I kept telling him to avoid the site, he bit for a REDUCED price of $92.00 + shipping. When he came to visit me on his way to AZ he showed me his coin and I was amazed at the coin and my friends lack of trust in my advise. The coin rated AT BEST AG3. I then showed him a roll of the same coin with most of them better than his. He left and continued his trip. I have not heard from him since. I regret showing him the roll. For those that may have the opportunity to read these posts. Deal with that sight and you will 99.99999% get screwed.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I have an entire Dansco album of very rare Kennedy haves? Can I retire asa billionaire? :)

12. Jim Dale

If you want to live on water and Pork and Beans and living in a tent and you call that well to do, then you are on your way to a better life.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uhhh - it was actually edited 1 minute before yours was edited.

upload_2021-6-14_8-29-35.png

And this post of yours was edited for repeating the same offense. Contrary to your belief, there's no BS and no bias.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  14. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Tell coworker that experienced collectors don't see it, but that many people enlist the services of professional graders to validate rarity. Coworker should be able to find with an internet search.

15. Pickin and Grinin

When I responded it wasn't meant to be political, but I see that other members took my post as offensive rather than in jest.

Lets put it this way, when I saw that my post was edited at 9 am.
    Jeffjays was still up and not edited, Or I wouldn't have made my second statement. Infact I still saw his post at about noon yesterday. Go figure...

Also if you look jeffjays wasn't edited till after my second post was made.
    6:53 pm. My second was edited at 4:15pm. You have it wrong.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's easy to figure if you understand how things work. For one, there are these things called cache files on computers, files that are stored and then re-accessed at a later time resulting in showing you a page that has not been refreshed and or updated. In other words, you see what used to be, as opposed to seeing what is at the present time. So even though something was done, you don't see it because you're looking at the past, not the present.

And then there's the fact about posts being made and not seen by a moderator for several hours, maybe even a day. But then a different post in the same thread gets reported. This results in the mod dealing with the reported post, and then reading through the rest of the thread to see if there are other related posts that also break the rules, and or quote a different post that quote a violating post. If he finds some, then all of hem will be edited. But it's pretty hard to edit something until you at least become aware of it.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  17. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I agree with my post being edited as I guess it was warranted. Now let's talk coins!

Marshall likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

@GDJMSP I had refreshed and checked the posting when others updated it. The post was still there and not edited until obviously last evening at 7 pm. Anyways, the debacle is over. Not all the mods are biased, only 1 maybe 2. Glad this was resolved.

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You got it right, a co-worker, not likely a close friend... Want to see how honest he is? Ask him to go to a dealer with you, or better yet, a Numismatist to get a estimate of the true value. Bet he will say NO! Good luck

20. Jim Dale

Is there a reason that these entries are mentioned again, and again? Enough, now, please.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

There used to be a time, not that long ago, when all it took to answer a phone was to pick it up. Now you have to follow a procedure to just say hello.

There was also a time that a text message was either sent and received or called unsuccessful immediately.

Then they "improved" things and you can get a text immediately or in 2 month that's been rolling around in a cloud. It get's really creepy when you receive a new text from a friend whose funeral you attended.

Anyway, trust nothing you see or hear, especially about time and date stamps, in this most manipulated historical era we live in.

I just stick to my memory the 1969 World Book Encyclopedia for my facts. Of course as I grow older, my recollections and faith in the written record probably shouldn't be trusted either.

About the most believable thing these days is any warning that we shouldn't believe something and that goes for coins and life in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted