Sestertius Sunday…..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Hi everybody…..
    I have been off for a while due to my rotten back, but back now.

I am attracted to Sestertius coins because of size of portrait and

just overall presence of the coin. Is there any advantage to these coins other than personal preference.

I think a collection of them would be really neat to look at.

Any thoughts or could you please show some…

zadie, Marsyas Mike, Curtis and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I guess I can start off with the Roman equivalent of a lead off single.
    Caius (Caligula) Ae Sestertius 37-38 AD Rome Obv. Head left laureate Rv. Inscription within wreath. RIC 37 27.88 grms 33 mm Photo by W. Hansen caiuss7.jpg Though sestertii with large obverse portraits were minted in the provinces, this is one of the first one struck from the mint of Rome. Caius is depicted as a young man with a horizontal brow and staring eye giving him a somewhat intimidating look. His hair which is longer behind the ear does harken back to Tiberius and the reverse does resemble an issue of Augustus. What is interesting is that only the C of his name can be found on the obverse legend whereas the name of his father Germanicus is prominently displayed right above his head.
    Caius would be quite aware that unlike his two predecessors, he had absolutely no experience on the battlefield. So this image was designed to put those concerns to rest. The penetrating gaze and strong neck are complimented by a hair style similar to his predecessor Tiberius a very successful general, and of course he has the name proudly displayed of his illustrious father.
    One should note that this coin was part of an extremely well thought out program of numismatic propaganda launched in 37 AD.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    zadie, Marsyas Mike, Limes and 20 others like this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Spectacular!

ominus1 likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

And another bad boy Nero. 1525565734501-521232062.png
    Nero. AD 54-68. Æ Sestertius (34mm, 21.62 g, 6h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck circa AD 66. Laureate head left, globe at point of neck / Triumphal arch, showing the front, with a wreath hung across it, surmounted by the emperor in facing quadriga accompanied by Pax and Victory, flanked by two soldiers; statue of Mars in side niche; the faces and plinths of the arch are ornamented with elaborate reliefs. RIC I 500; WCN 452; Lyon 191. Near VF, brown patina.

Marsyas Mike, Limes, Marsman and 13 others like this.
  6. Mammothtooth

Seriously a great coin….! Thank you

7. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Here is my finest Sestertius:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-13 um 19.09.59.png

Obverse: IMP CAES M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust of Macrinus right, with beard of intermediate length.
    Reverse: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P [P] around, S — C in field, Felicitas standing left, holding long caduceus and cornucopiae.
    Orichalcum Sestertius, Rome, 1.Oct.-31.Dec.217
    20,51 grams / 33,10 mm
    Clay (The Roman Coinage of Macrinus and Diadumenian), obv. die 2, rev. die 42 (this coin cited); RIC 139; BMC 120, note; Cohen 66; Sear (RCTV II) 7386.
    ex collection of Friedrich Karl August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, 1763-1812 (Münzhandlung Basel Auction 3, 1935, lot 730).

8. Mammothtooth

Wonderful

9. Mammothtooth

The above coins are simply grand….!

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Great coins so far :happy:! I can't afford to collect choice sestertii but have a few nice one in my collection :D.

Septimius Severus AE Sestertius (3).jpg

Julia Mamaea & Felicitas Sestertius.jpg

AE Sestertius 31 mm, 26.39 gm, 12 h, RIC 13 (4).jpg
    Maximus as Caesar, AD 236-238, Rome Mint. AE Sestertius: 26.39 gm, 31 mm, 12 h. RIC IV 13. CNG 70, lot 1044, September 21, 2005.

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

12. Mammothtooth

Those are great, thanks

13. Mammothtooth

I like the Maximus a lot.

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Sestercii are beautiful. Something to be said about a big hunk of bronze.

I have fewer than you can count on 1 hand but these are my two favorites:

Husband and wife duo Hadrian and Sabina
    Hadrian, Sestertius, Neptune.png Sabina, Sestertius, Vesta.png

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nero has many artistic sestertii.

NeroAnnonaCeresSestertius-RT.jpg

16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I love sestertii, especially the earlier ones before they started to shrink in size. But I can't really afford very nice ones, or, to be more precise, to the extent I spend that much money on a single coin I'd rather buy something gold or a truly excellent Roman Republican denarius (for example). Therefore, out of my total of 337 ancient coins right now, I have only four sestertii, the last of which is no bigger than some earlier "middle bronze" dupondii or asses.

Marcus Aurelius / raising ("restoring") kneeling figure of Italia (30 mm.):

Marcus Aurelius sestertius jpg version (Marcus Aurelius & Italia on reverse).jpg

Faustina II/ Felicitas & six children (31 mm.):

Faustina II sestertius - Felicitas & six children.jpg

Maximinus I Thrax / Salus (31 mm.):

Maximinus I Thrax Sestertius.jpg

Philip I/stag (28 mm.):

Philip I sestertius SAECVLARES AVGG Stag reverse jpg version.jpg

None of these was very expensive, because none is what I would call in outstanding condition. But I like them anyway!

You can also find, usually for somewhat less money, Roman Provincial bronze coins that are around 30 mm., like a Roman Provincial octassarion from Antioch, or even larger, like Roman Alexandrian bronze drachmae.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yes, sestertii can be very fun to collect

0600-Bronzes-IIIAs.jpg
    0600-Bronzes-IIIRs.jpg

Q

18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i was gonna say this is your line o collecting JG...:)..i have a few..a big chunk o bronze.brass is always good..:) IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0397.JPG sestertius Max Thrax, Winged Germania reverse with captive a foot. 30mm,19.05gms

19. Mammothtooth

Cucumbor likes this.
  20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

You have it right! Nobody doesn't love a Sestertius! Even relatively cheap examples ($20-50) can be quite impressive, just due to their size, especially if the portrait is recognizable (as long as there's nothing distinctively ugly about the coin!). There's very little in life more satisfying than looking at full tray of Roman Sestertii (or full album page, depending how you do it).

Most sentimental value: Here's my very first Roman coin, a Hadrian Sestertius purchased by my father in the late 1980s while we were traveling in Europe (Rome or Florence? Paris?):
    CONSERVATORI-Hadrian AE Sestertius Ex-Europe 1980s ED.png

"Most pretty":
    Gordian III Liberalitas Sestertius NAC 116, 1648 (ex CNG 85, then Naville).jpg

"Favorite value" (for the provenance to the Clain-Stefanelli Collection, 40GBP + fees):
    Severus Alexander AE Sestertius.jpg

Favorite Sestertius Group Lot:

Sestertius Group 8 Ex-CNG e-Auction 456, Lot 731.jpg

21. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I have 9 in my collection, although the condition is inferior to the superb examples posted here.
    My first and favorite - it was the first time I heard about this term. Got this Titus sestertius from my first ancient purchase -a group lot.
    upload_2022-3-13_22-57-33.png

My only one with an empress portrait
    upload_2022-3-13_22-58-21.png

And the last one I bought, a sestertius much reduced in size and in technical execution quality ...
    upload_2022-3-13_23-0-13.png

Marsyas Mike, Limes, ominus1 and 16 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted