Sestertius….NEW

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Hi everybody, I won this nice Severus Alexander from the Dorney Auction last week. Not bad for 22 bucks. A great auction, with a fair premium and mailing..Tell me what you think of good ol Severus… EFE94CFD-B755-498C-A894-3BC6D6824CC4.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..why that was deal!...fine coin at a great price.

4. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

5. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Very nice and the price can't be beat! I don't own a single sestertius myself. I've been tempted, but I'm still looking for the right "match". :)

Gallienus likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Known as momy's boy, his mother Julia Mamaea hold the reigns during his reign.
    They both were killed on their way to Germany, Severus was only 27 years old.

P1150853bb (2).jpg

+VGO.DVCKS, Eduard, Bing and 8 others like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like it! Thick patina, but the details come through nicely. Great score.

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Very, very nice!

Coincidentally, I've been considering buying a sestertius of Severus Alexander myself, at retail. My concern is not so much the cost (not cheap but not outrageous), but whether the coin is smoothed and/or tooled. Here's a photo -- and I'm well aware that by posting it here, even without a link, I risk someone finding it and buying it from under me:

Severus Alexander sestertius for sale.jpg

What do people think? Smoothed? Tooled? Both? Neither? Thanks!

9. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

I think neither. There may have been an attempt to smooth the areas of purple encrustations on the reverse, but this doesn't distract.

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I am far from being an expert, but I do not see obvious signs of altering ... but my opinion is not qualified, again.
    I have 2 bronzes from this emperor - a provincial I like
    upload_2022-3-16_23-16-56.png

Troas, Alexandreia
    M AV S ALEXANDRV (sic), laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander, r. / [...?] AVG TROA, Apollo nude standing, l., placing foot on pedestal, holding laurel branch
    similar to RPC VI, 4031 (temporary), Bellinger A334

... and a sestertius
    upload_2022-3-16_23-20-16.png

Severus Alexander AE Sestertius. AD 231. IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, laureate head right, slight drapery on far shoulder / VICTORIA AVGVSTI, Victory winged standing left, holding wreath and palm. S-C across lower fields. Cohen 569.
    RIC IV Severus Alexander 618

This was 19 EUR + 18% fees so pretty similar.

11. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a very nice example, at a great price!

I find the sestertii of Severus Alexander quite appealing. They are very available, much like those of Gordian III, and they give collectors a chance to acquire a nice sestertius without breaking the bank.

Here's one from a group lot, a little rough, but with a nice portrait and a decent reverse.

circa 233AD
    Rome
    Obverse: Severus Alexander facing right.
    Reverse: Sol advancing left, holding a whip.
    RIC 535

16.31 grams

D-Camera Severus Alexander sestertius c 233ad rome sol left RIC535 16.31g 9-6-21.jpg

Bing, Marsyas Mike, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on the new addition @Mammothtooth !
    Here's mine:
    Screenshot_20211126-124654_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

Ps, @DonnaML , I hope I'm wrong and am also unqualified, but it does look smoothed to me. Look at those fields compared to the wear on the portrait. I would pass if it were me. But, as you know, I'm no @Barry Murphy

Bing, Marsyas Mike, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  13. robinjojo

I think that is a very appealing coin. I have trouble, honestly, detecting smoothing unless it is really obvious. That fact is that the vast majority of sestertii have been cleaned to one degree or another, some with skill, others quite harshly.

My approach to this coin would be to assume:
    1) It might be lightly smoothed/cleaned; and
    2) Assuming it is, does it still appeal to me at the price and will I still be happy looking at it while I own it.

As with any acquisition, buyer's regret must be avoided.

Other than my latest Severus Alexander sestertius, purchased as a group lot coin, I don't know what the price trend for his sestertii, but I imagine it has climbed along with just about all other ancients.

DonnaML, ambr0zie and Mammothtooth like this.
  14. Mammothtooth

Great info thanks..

15. robinjojo

Julia Mamaea was the force behind the throne, to be sure, much the way Livia was during the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius.

16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander and his family in sestertii:

Severus Alexander PM TRP VIII COS III P P S C Libertas Sestertius.jpg
    Mamaea VENVS FELIX S C sestertius.jpg
    Orbiana Concordia Sestertius.jpg

Curtis, ambr0zie, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I mostly collect his middle bronzes, but I do have a sestertius or two.

SA Suarez 677.jpg SA sacrificing sest.jpg SA annona.jpg

18. DonnaML

Thanks for all your opinions. Right now I think I'll pass. Too much (ca. $270 ) to spend on a coin I'm not really sure how I feel about.

19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

WAAAY too much. I still think you should re-evaluate your attitude to auctions; for a generalist like yourself you'll be able to do so much better on price.

Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  20. DonnaML

I have! Just since December, I have bid, and won ancient and even some British coins at, the Roma, Cayon Subastas, Nomos Obolos, Dix Noonan Webb, and CNG auctions. Not that I've exactly been frugal by doing so.

Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
  21. Mammothtooth

These coins are very nice, thanks for posting. Mine is not as worthy but I like it and the price. Thanks all of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted