Sestertii stolen in the mail )-;

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, May 27, 2022.

1. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Was that by any chance the Springfield, MA distribution center?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Yes, it was that one and the one in Jersey City.

4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

One thing you might pursue is to ask David Sear to talk to his the postmaster of his local post office and explain what happened to the parcel. It is possible that it was opened there. I cannot imagine a registered parcel would go through the USPS without someone noticing that it was opened and empty.

Also, if something did happen to the box as it goes through the system, there should be a notation on the box that it was damaged in shipment and resealed. I find it very strange that a registered parcel would arrive opened and empty. One thought that crossed my mind is that the parcel was left at the door, and that someone came by, opened it, and took the coins. However I ruled that scenario out: 1) if someone were to steal the coins, they would take the box and open it elsewhere; and 2) registered mail now requires a signature by the recipient. During the worst of the pandemic this was not a requirement, but it has been in effect for a month or two.

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  5. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

David will send pictures and I asked him to present the cut-open box to his postoffice. I do wonder why a mailman would deliver an obviously emptied package into his P.O. box (it was not left at a door).
    At least here in Germany, if there are concerns about a package, you will receive a letter from the mail or tax agency (who might open and check non-EU-packages) to pick it up yourself there.

robinjojo and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted