serratted coin aka bottlecap

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andres2, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Picked up my first serratted bronze , seen many of these on Cointalk in the past years.
    I wonder if there are bottlecaps larger then this one (27mm) ?

anyway please post your bottle caps, cheers.

P1150754 (3).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

No bottle cap but a bottle opener if you like

[​IMG]
    Castulo, Spain, AE As - 2nd century BC
    Virile head right, a hand before
    Sphinx walking right. Iberian for KASTILO at exergue
    15.9 gr
    Ref : Sear GIC #15, Catalogue 38 and 39 CNH (CORPVS NVMMUM HISPANIAE, L. Villaronga)

Nice coin BTW :)

Q

4. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Nice addition, @Andres2. The red earthen deposits highlight the serrated edge well! I don't know what is the largest diameter "bottle cap" coin. I posted a smaller one of Demetrios I Soter below.

@Cucumbor, that's a fantastic sphinx on your "bottle opener!"

[​IMG]

Demetrios I Soter (162-150 BC). Serrate AE. (20 mm, 7.86 g). Antioch mint. Bust of Artemis right, hair in stephanos, bow and quiver at shoulder. / BAΣIΛEOΣ / ΔEMHTPIOY, titles vertically downward to right and left of bow and quiver.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice bottle cap @Andres2. As far as I know that is the largest bottlecap denomination.

My favorite, very clearly serrated.
    [​IMG]
    Seleukos IV Philopator (187-175 B.C.) Serrate AE, Denomination A. Antioch mint, struck ca. 187-175 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ ("of King Seleukos"). Apollo standing left, holding arrow, leaning on tripod; monogram to inner left.
    Reference: HGC 9, 584; SC 1315.
    9.32g; 22mm

The same type as yours, with an Apollo that looks almost like Demetrios I himself.
    [​IMG]
    Demetrios I Soter (161-150 B.C.) Serrate AE, Denomination A (Quadruple). Antioch mint.
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Apollo right, bow and quiver over shoulder.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΔHMHTPIOY (“of King Demetrios”). Tripod.
    Reference: SC 1644.
    15.20g; 26mm

Alegandron, randygeki, dadams and 8 others like this.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I just have the one. 19mm

Egypt Seleukos IV 01.jpg

Alegandron, Pavlos, dadams and 7 others like this.
  7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I've seen them as large as 29mm. That's about as large as they come for these.
    g332.jpg
    26mm 17.00g

8. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is one of Seleukos IV, 187-175, struck at Antioch.

SG6970SeleucisIVn04107.jpg
    20 mm. 6.39 grams.
    Seleukos IV, 187-175 BC.
    Bust of Dionysos right
    prow of galley left, BAΣIΛEIΩΣ above
    ΣEΛEVKOY below
    Sear Greek 6970
    SNG Copenhagen 7, "Seleucid Kings" 176.

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My favorite serrate bronze is a contemporary of the Demetrios I serrates, but from Macedonia. In HGC, it's suggested that they were probably struck by Philip Andriskos, the pretender to the Macedonian throne. The theory is that he had sought to get support at the Seleukid court from Demetrios. Though he failed to do so, he returned to Macedon with Syrian mint workers skilled in the production of these serrates.

Macedon - Philip V Serrate Poseidon.jpg MACEDON, the Macedonians. Time of Philip VI Andriskos (?)
    AE Serrate. 10.0g, 25mm. MACEDON, Amphipolis mint, probably under Philip VI Andriskos, circa 149-148 BC. SNG Cop 1294; HGC 3.1, 331 (S). O: Diademed head of Poseidon right, trident over shoulder. R: MAKE-ΔONΩN, club; monograms below left and right; all within oak wreath.

Alegandron, Valentinian, Bing and 8 others like this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bottle Cap

This was the last series that Carthage minted just before they were exterminated by the Romans in 146 BCE. The City was razed, with it not being resettled until Caesar's veterans almost 100 years later. No coins until even later.

This is an odd issue from Carthage, as they did not produce serrated bottle-cap coins until their demise. This one is kinda hard to obtain.

[​IMG]
    Carthage Third Punic War Serrate Double Shekel 149-146 BCE 12.8g 26mm Wreathd Tanit-Horse pellet raised leg SNG COP 404

Draft saved Draft deleted