Seriously PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mainebill, Feb 10, 2016.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

Secure plus service is $5 more than the Regular service, as it's always been, but the TrueView is free with the service. Actually Secure plus used to be $8-$10 than regular service and you still had to pay $10 more if you wanted a TrueView.

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Hello, the are counting on you resubmitting that large cent to them again. Its all about the $$$$$$

Endeavor and Mainebill like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I believe this as well to a degree, though not so much with problem coins or certainly counterfeits. I think this is happening on a much larger scale with undergrading coins in hopes that collectors/dealers will resubmit.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss (submission fees)

:(

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

John F's point on the 1864-S is well-taken and should become a part of anyone's thinking regarding "circulation cameo," which in the real world only happens when the coin leaves circulation long enough to tone dark and then re-enter commerce for the devices to clear. The Morgan is plainly toned in two separate incidents, the first having been partially dipped off and the second deliberate (but done in NT fashion) to mask the dip failure. I'm not enough of an SLQ expert to be sure but that's what a random Morgan has done in a couple weeks sitting on my desk....

The A/R Quarter looks as much like smoke as it does toning. I really can't disagree with any of the "Questionable Color" opinions.

Out of my competency, but shouldn't the denticles on the Cent reach the rim?

rzage likes this.
  7. david clark

david clark Member

i dont see any problem with the 1858-s dime other than the black area @ 7pm area on rev? is that damage?

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I wonder if they are only spending seconds on a coin, if they do more when they think it is counterfeit. I don't see anything right off on it. Maybe send it back to NGC again - who knows might even get a different opinion from them.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well I piggyback an 1953 Proof Franklin that was graded by another TPG that yes is not in the top 3. That was graded proof 68 deep camo . So my friend sent it in for me to cross . He even went down to proof 65 deep camo for the cross. They sent it back ungraded. However they charged a surcharge of 10% of the assigned value.
    So what I'm figuring is going to cost me like 40 bucks to have it cross graded ends up costing me $95!!!!!
    I was like WTH! He told me they got him also on some gold coins he sent in to get crossed graded.
    Now the coin in question has been posted here on CT in a Franklin thread with tons of likes and no one questioning it wasn't camo. And deep camo at that.
    Now I'm sure if my dealer friend was MCM it be in a PR 68 deep camo a $65,000 coin.

joecoincollect likes this.
  10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I get them all over the place. The 64-s actually went environmental damage at ngc and I decided to try it on this one. Is a no big deal coin I'll just sell raw. The Morgan should go straight I've handled a lot of them toned they just don't always go the first time. The 58-s is pure bs. The slq. I'm tempted to dip white as it's an easy 64 with tons of luster

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The a&r is a retoning old dip in my opinion. One of the bust halves is clearly a colorful retone dip too most of the rest is classic original gray silver. The 57-o I thought had a real good chance of going 63 is truly a slider. I think I'll acetone soak the. 68-s dime before I send it. As soon as I get a few more together I'll be sending out another batch likely to ngc I'll likely send a few of these to get a bean too especially the bust halves and the 37 dime which is a beauty

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You have cac submitting privileges bill?

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@Mainebill

Where to start? How about this: IMO, I cannot see any reason to send the pictured coins in for slabbing.

Here is some unsolicited "tough love." IMO PGCS got most of it right. Any collector/dealer here who thinks PCGS was "brutal" needs to stop buying "raw" coins.

Just curious, how many times have you sent a "details coin" from one service and got it "straight" at another? Have your "hits" made you more money than the wasted fees?

With the 1858-S, there is room for discussion. The photos are blurred; yet my first impression is the coin is not worth slabbing due to low grade, unattractiveness, and ED. I do not see any damage on the blurred image. If you think you can dip this coin and make it better...I won't go there.

You need to study John's more constructive, and kinder words as I just removed most of what I wrote here at first. Because I don't suffer long-time, supposedly expert dealers whining about TPGS opinions when the whiners and those in agreement with them NEED TO LEARN HOW TO GRADE FOR THEMSELVES! Opinions are plenty...hopefully we'll see more useful ones from more knowledgeable posters.

Next: There has been an influx of EXTREMELY DECPTIVE counterfeits - especially in the Large cent series. I was informed THIS MORNING that at least one TPGS HAS BEEN working closely with EAC to unmask the new fakes, many of which have already slipped past the TPGS. In many cases, the fakes have been circulated, corroded, recolored and beat up. AS WITH ANY BRAND NEW VERY DECEPTIVE FAKE - FROM THE BEGINING OF COIN AUTHENTICATION SERVICES (1971) in this country - THE FIRST FEW ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, SLIP PAST. Hang on because you all have not seen ANYTHING YET. I promise that. The TPGS are running scared but just for now! They are our best defense against counterfeiting.

NOTE: TPGS are like computers, JUNK IN/JUNK OUT :kiss:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    joecoincollect likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Isn't there still a very sizable number of serious EAC'ers who object to having early coppers slabbed at all? Something to do with their own grading scales? I first got exposed to early coppers by a real old school fanatic on them. All his pieces are in cotton pouches, in turn placed in kraft paper envelopes. I emulated him.

15. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

EAC has it's own net grading scale that accounts for obverse and reverse grades and any details that may contribute. It's pretty involved, for sure. I would agree there are a fair amount of early copper collectors that enjoy the tactile sensation of being able to handle the history of their collection. I have the majority of my Fugios in holders, more for preservation and cataloging purposes than for the grade.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Thanks. Also, my region, for some reason I'm still trying to discover, pretty much eschews slabbing totally, perhaps except for really important pieces - like four-figure stuff. One of our now deceased Red Rose Coin Club members, a former Farran Zerbe award winner, never owned a slabbed coin, and he at one time owned a complete set of Stellas. He passed in late 2011. I'm glad to have had the chance to know him and learn from him.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

What I find hilarious is that the Sheldon scale was invented FOR early copper, large cents I believe, but they abandoned it then it became the standard for everything else... Funny stuff

18. V. Kurt Bellman

And you look up 'irony' in the dictionary and it says, "See irony."

Insider and Cascade like this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

nearfall likes this.
  20. Insider

Yes. Nevertheless, no SANE member of EAC (they may laugh at TPGS errors) wants to see c/f's slabbed. Besides, not every EAC member is a qualified authenticator.

21. Insider

I just bought their grading guide but have not had time to read it yet. Looks good.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted