Seriously PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mainebill, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ok just got my latest submission details with the usual bs of them napalming a few coins. Got 3 questionable color (typical) a cleaning- total bs. Environmental damage would have been the only possible call on that one. And a damage. Again a questionable call. But the real kicker they called a 1797 large cent counterfeit!! This particular coin was cracked out of a pcgs environment details slab soaked with verdicare tried at ngc they said tooled?? And now pcgs says counterfeit?? After it's been called genuine by both tpgs. Really where do they come up with this crap. To me it's a borderline call vf clean or environmental damage which I've seen far worse grade clean

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

image.png This is the coin in its first pcgs slab

4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

PCGS has been brutal. Every submission in 2015 had a details coin. Or two. Or more...

5. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I would prefer if my coin grading companies did NOT read Emerson literally. :D

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

Underlining for emphasis

green18 likes this.
  6. jmon

jmon Numismatist In Training

There was actually a big write-up in Copper Notes about fake large cents and them getting past both NGC and PCGS. There are some REALLY good fakes out there right now, so I can see them being extra picky.

beef1020 and Insider like this.
  7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Photos?

9. Mainebill

The trueview was before it was cracked out to try and get a clean grade

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I think he's asking if you have photos of the before submission 3 Questionable Toning coins?

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Thank you, but I was asking about the other coins... ;)

12. Mainebill

13. Mainebill

That's the results I'll see what I got for pics. Not home and haven't got the order back

14. Mainebill

Here's the qc a&r image.jpeg image.jpeg this is the 64-s. I could see the rim bump and is a bit dark but cleaning???!!! image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. Mainebill

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's the dollar standing quarter and another of the a&r

16. Mainebill

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They were brutal to you

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This. Anything remotely questionable will no longer be given the benefit of the doubt after those slipped by the services.

Insider likes this.
  19. #10, #11 & #16 are accurately no-grades. I think more precise to call them "cleaned and retoned" but that's what they are. It's a shame but they are professionally done. You might want to (re)consider the source on those. Someone knows what they are doing. #16 (1864-S half) is more expertly colored IMO. Usually if I see flat-dark color surfaces on a circ coin like that it's been expertly retoned from some sort of cleaned base surface. A truly original typically coin won't be that evenly colored. In earlier grading days, the rim bruises alone would prevent a grade on the holder, but I've seen more flexibility there in recent years.

20. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Where do you get these pictures of the coins and the PCGS logo and serial number? Do you create them yourself or do the pictures come from PCGS?

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's a PCGS TrueView image. You can pay 10 dollars a coin for it when submitting or you can submit using the secure plus service and it's 5 dollars a coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted