Series 1969 $1 star note: star is off center

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bugo, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

A friend found a Series 1969 $1 star note. The serial number on the bottom left of the bill is normal, but the star on the serial number on the top right of the bill is off center. It is closer to the top of the bill than normal. I don't have the bill with me, but I'll get a pic as soon as I can. Was this normal or an error?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Some variation is normal, but it will depend on the severity. A photo is needed.

NOS likes this.
  4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I hope to have a photo at around 8am central time.

5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I was about 30 minutes late, but here are the pictures I took.

It's a plain old Series 1969...no fancy letters.

[​IMG]

Here's the serial number above the seal on the right side of the bill. Note how the star is higher than usual.

[​IMG]

Here's the other serial number, showing the normal location of the star.

[​IMG]

Do I have an error note? Or was this the normal practice in 1969?

NOS likes this.
  6. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

In my opinion you have an error - and a pretty valuable one, considering errors on star notes are exceptionally rare. The upper right star is substantially outside the accepted threshold.

I thought at first this would be a stuck digit, but the star doesn't rotate on the numbering wheel. Therefore, this was likely a human error. Very interesting to say the least.

Send it in to PMG or PCGS for grading and authentication. It will be worth the time and investment. Assuming they agree on the "error" part, you'll be looking at mid 3 figures at auction.

NOS and bugo like this.
  7. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

It's in well circulated condition. Is it worth much even though it is well worn (it's still fairly crisp, but it has folds)? If it's really worth $500, it would be hard not to sell it and buy a MS 70 peace dollar, walking Liberty half, and standing Liberty quarter. and pocket the rest.

8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I looked on ebay and didn't find any notes like mine. How much does it cost to get a bill rated from each service, including shipping? If it is truly worth that much, it would be worth getting it done.

9. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I haven't seen anything like it. I've seen plenty of turned digits like the one below. However, the star does not turn during normal printing like the other digits:

misaligned-digit[1].jpg

A turned prefix is more valuable than a turned digit, because those too are fixed. Your turned star is the first I've seen. I'm sure that can be said for other interested buyers, which would drive the price up.

Both PCGS and PMG require a membership. To submit currency directly to PCGS, you need to be a member of the PCGS Collector's Club. To submit currency directly to PMG, you need to be a member of the American Numismatic Association. A year's membership to each is about $50. Then $25-$40 for economy to standard turn-around, which is 28/30 to 14 working days.

If you don't plan on grading more than 1 note, find an authorized dealer to submit it for you. It might be a little more than submitting directly, but you don't have to become a member.

Don't bother with any other grading company. Forget CGA, CGC, RCGS. They don't command the same premiums as PCGS and PMG. These two are about equal.

bugo likes this.
  10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the note to my local coin shop and see what he thinks about it.

11. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I hope your friend, who found it, is gonna get a cut.

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I promised him that I'd keep it forever but if it's worth a bunch I might have to rethink it. Ideally I'd like to keep it but if I ever need the money it'll be there.

13. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I took it to the coin shop and being coin experts more than paper experts, they couldn't tell me much about the bill.

14. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Try emailing Scott Lindquist, author of Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money. His email is scott@scottlindquist.com

He's very knowledgeable in this area and could shed some light on how it may have happened and perhaps a ballpark on value. If anyone has seen this type of error, it would be him.

15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll email him the pictures ASAP.

16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I emailed Scott. He said that errors weren't his specialty and that he didn't know anything about it but that it might only be worth $5. Who else would know anything about it? I would get it certified if I knew it was that valuable, but if it's only worth 5 bucks then certification might not be worth it.

17. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I have to disagree with Scott on this one. Sorry for the bad referral.

Try Frederick Bart. You can contact him through this page: http://www.executivecurrency.com/contact

He helped author the book US Paper Money Errors.

bugo likes this.
  18. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

Not Frederick Bart, but I can tell you this is not an earth-shattering error, certainly not worth $500 unless you get an eBay bidding war going.

19. Boshoney1

Boshoney1 New Member

Hello, I am a few years late but I also found a star note with the right upper serial star placement shifted up. Where you ever able to find more info on it or what the error is called?

Draft saved Draft deleted