Series 1950 $100 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Lon Chaney, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Hey all. So again, I'm not much of a paper money collector, so I don't know anything about this bill. I got this at the bank today. I was just wondering if anybody had an idea of rarity, value, condition, etc. There's a few creases, but otherwise, I'd say it grades fairly decent. AU, XF maybe? I just want to know if I should keep it, sell it, or spend it. Anyway, here's the pics:

1950 Series 100 Bill Obv.jpg 1950 Series 100 Bill Rev.jpg
    Thanks for any and all help!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nice bank find. The 1950 $100 was being distributed along with the series 1934D, (1949-1953) and the New York district had almost 4 million printed. The Heritage archives shows mid-grade examples selling for $125-$160 range, and uncirculated versions going for just under $300. I would guess yours would grade around EF40-45. Personally, I collect star notes and might try to find someone here that may pay you more than face value for it. I don't know too may $100 note collectors.

4. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Yeah, I'd think it's worth a few bux over face, but you'd have to find just the right person to buy it.

5. Lon Chaney

Well, thanks for the replies guys! Glad to see those results.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It,s nice to find old money especially in that good of shape ;)

7. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Normally I only collect $100 stars or series 1928 and 1934. Not too many collect the $100's just because they're old since there is too much tied up in one note. You can always sell through ebay or Heritage to see what you would get, or just keep the note and see what its value could go up to.

8. Lon Chaney

I listed it on ebay, for 125.99 with free shipping. We'll see how it does. If it sells for that, and no more, I'd be making just under 6 bucks after shipping, tracking, sig confirmation, whatever. But, I figure at least somebody would have it that would hold on to it, I'd just hate to go spend it.

9. Dr Kegg

Let us know the outcome of the auction...

10. Lon Chaney

So it sold on ebay for the starting bid, 125.99. Fine with me, just didn't want to have to spend it.
    Anyway, so funny thing, as soon as I sell off that note and free up the cash for roll searching, a teller at my dump bank today saved a bill "for somebody like you," meaning me, a collector.
    So I now have a series 1934 $100 Federal Reserve Note, from the Chicago Fed Bank. Serial is G-something or other-A.
    Anyway, guess I'll ebay that too.

11. Lon Chaney

Here's the latest FRN, that I mentioned in the previous post:
    100_0567 small.jpg 100_0566.jpg

12. Dr Kegg

I seem to be getting a lot of old $100's from my teller as well lately. Hmm...wonder why they're all coming out now.

Draft saved Draft deleted