Series 1928 $100 FRN beginner's question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by JTL, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JTL

JTL Member

I am relatively new to US currency collecting, and I recently bought a series 1928 $100 FRN in XF condition, as per the RCGS holder it is in.

As a beginner collector, one of my chief concerns is that I dont unknowingly purchase a counterfeit note, and it is my understanding that the US $100 is one of the most counterfeited notes out there. I like to use the fingertip feel test of the raised printing on US bills to check authenticity; however in this case, the note is in a holder from Rare Currency Grading Service, and I assume you cannot --or should not-- remove the note from a grading service holder, once it has been graded. With that being the case, how much should I rely upon the RCGS grading and authentication without being able to handle the note out of the holder? I cant seem to find a website or any information about the company online. Are they still in business?

Since I bought the note for a relatively inexpensive price, I am less concerned about the accuracy of the grading on the holder than I am about getting stuck with a counterfeit. Any advice or input from US currency collectors would be very welcome

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @JTL !

I've never heard of RCGS, but then again, I don't collect paper money. I have owned some paper money that was graded by PMG, the NGC affiliate and I believe that PCGS also grades paper money. Beyond that, I wouldn't trust another grading service. If, as you say, you haven't found anything online about RCGS, I'd be more concerned that the note is over-graded by some basement slabber rather than being counterfeit.

I could be totally wrong, so I'll wait to see if others chime in.

Chris

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Welcome to Coin Talk @JTL

I do not believe RCGS is still in business. They were semi-popular way back in 2009-2010, along with CEC. You mostly saw their notes on eBay, never on Heritage, Stacks, or Lynn Knight. One collector I know nick named them Ray Charles Grading Service. Removing a note from a TPG holder happens all the time. Once you own, do as you please. RCGS was suspect because of their grades and I never heard anyone complain or mention they were authenticating counterfeit notes.

I would trust it was real (not counterfeit) but be suspicious of the grade.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Would re-holder with either PCGS or PMG the value in a RCGS holder means little as
    it is most likely over graded, as long as you didnt spend to much you should be ok.

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I'd expect a $100 note from 1928 to have a considerably smoother texture than a present-day $100 note so I wouldn't rely on doing a fingertip test to verify authenticity. I'd check to see that blue and red fibers are interwoven throughout the note and be content that you have a genuine note based on the results of that.

Dollarsavr likes this.
  7. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

Please, post a picture.

8. JTL

JTL Member

Thanks all for your very helpful responses.

I'll post a pic once the note arrives.

9. JTL

JTL Member

Received the note today. Pleasantly surprised by the condition considering its a close to 90 year old bill. No apparent creases, holes, or tears. A couple little stains and smudges near the edges.

Attached Files:

10. JTL

JTL Member

Another

Attached Files:

11. JTL

JTL Member

Another

Attached Files:

12. JTL

JTL Member

The back

Attached Files:

13. mpcusa

the grade looks about right in comparison to one of my 40,s that was both graded by PCGS and then by PMG , however if you submit that note to either of them you
    have a good chance of a problem explanation or worse yet a net grade because of the staining and smudges, the margins on the back of your note are similar to my Military payment certificate Series 461 (See below)

14. mpcusa

15. mpcusa

16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

It's actually a series 1928A, and not a series 1928. If it was a series 1928 it would have a number "8" in the district seal instead of an "H". There is quite a difference in price between the two different series.

Michael K likes this.
  17. JTL

JTL Member

Thanks for the clarification. I picked this one up for not much more than face value, so Im just glad to have an old $100 in nice condition.

18. mpcusa

So the big question are you going to send it in to PCGS or PMG for grading ?

19. JTL

JTL Member

Since this note has so little relative collectors value (at this time, anyway), I don't think it would be worth the expense To have it professionally graded

20. mpcusa

I think that,s the right decision :)

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I tend to agree, I don't think there is a lot to gain by having this note graded.

Did anyone else notice the RCGS slogan on the holder: "Do you want to know the truth about your currency?" and right next it an image of Honest Abe. All I can say is "YES!" How can I go wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted