Serial number to high on $2 bill

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by lotusboyrulz, May 19, 2014.

1. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So I got $40 in two and while going through them I found this it appears that the serial number is about a 1/16 inch to high . I was wondring if this is worth anything more than $2

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

There is definitely a shift here...but it's not a huge shift. I personally wouldn't pay a premium for this note, in fact...I consider it actually a detraction. It's not a "big" enough error to add a premium IMHO and it's too far from "normal" to be an attractive normal note.

But, others might disagree with me there...but that's how I feel.

4. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

wow. I can't believe that the error has no premium.

5. lotusboyrulz

lotusboyrulz Member

6. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

While I agree that there is no premium on this note, one who collects errors or $2 bills might have an interest in it and pay a few extra dollars for it. Prices are dictated by the amount one will pay. Littleton Coin is selling 1921 XF Morgans for $35 when it is not worth much more than spot price.

7. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

Littleton is known for ripping off their customers.... big time

8. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely. I just got there new summer catalog a few days ago to get some ideas for my own marketing... Man these prices are insane! I do not know why people fall into their trap. They show you a few nice pictures and a description that taks about the history more than numismatics and before you know it they sell a coin for 3x retail. Littleton pays a bit over Greysheet ask price if that tells you anything,

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Boy, I feel stupid. I opened up the thread, and kept thinking to myself, "I didn't thinking they stopped printing these before serial number 098284998". :(

Ethan and Endeavor like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

Maybe, but I think most collectors will avoid this piece. I'm sure there are some that will want it, but most won't. The reason is this...the error is so minimal that I don't see it appealing to error collectors. So, I don't think they would pay a premium for it.

That leaves non-error collectors. Non-error collectors want ideal notes...the more ideal and pristine the note, the better. Most would not want a common $2 with a flaw such as this.

So, IMHO the flaw is too minimal to appeal to error collectors and to major to appeal to "normal" collectors.

Now, maybe someone will chime in with a different thought...but I think most currency collectors will agree with me.

11. medoraman

Kind of reminds me of a pretty little AU cent I saw once. It was about 30% offcenter, but still had the date, 1914d. The dealer said he had it a for years, and was basically unsellable. Error collectors didn't want to pay 1914d money for a 30% offcenter, and 1914d collectors didn't want an offcenter cent.

Endeavor likes this.
  12. CamaroDMD

I'd imagine that would be a really card coin to sell.

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

If some people are willing to pay those prices, it's not a rip-off.
    The coins on approval program is a rip-off.

14. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

That was my initial take on this thread also (before I read the first post).

15. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Yea some pieces are nice and cool, but fall outside everyone's acceptable range in one way or another. Kind of like a reverse Venn diagram.

16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I have a stash of interesting $2 bills I've received from the bank (consecutive numbers, very nice condition ones, etc) and I spend the rest of the ones I think aren't worth keeping. If I received this one from the bank, I would keep it. But I really wouldn't pay extra for it.

Endeavor likes this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Keep it, its $2 and maybe one day...plus it is unique.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. CamaroDMD

I agree with this thought...it is an interesting find and for the face value of $2, I would keep it too. But, I wouldn't pay more than face for it.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. medoraman

Only in coins and paper money can I think of tens of thousands of people volunteering to be QA personnel for a company for free, and offering to pay a premium for defective products. :D

Nothing wrong with it, but its funny when you think of it that way.

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted