Serdica Mint Found?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

New news to me. Great article! Thanks for sharing:)

Gavin Richardson and Ryro like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

3,000 silver coins dating from Nero to Geta...YES PLEASE!!! 111 different Domitian coins! And a Pertinax (my favorite short term emperor). It says it is still a hypothesis, and I understand why (the placement of the building in the middle of downtown is strange to say the least). But I wonder what kind of "smoking gun" they would need, or could find, at this point to prove it to be unquestionably a mint. Very Cool article. Thanks for sharing. They didn't have any pictures of the hoard itself in this article so I googled it and prepare to clean up your own drool...
    48111577_hwhoard.jpg

5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Great, now I know who to write to about that AD 318 Proof Set that still hasn't arrived!

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do not have in memory exactly when we have coins from Serdica but I know there was a Provincial mint there before the Imperial mint was opened in the later 3rd century. Has anyone researched when this mint operated in either status?
    Caracalla Provincial
    pm1360bb2320.jpg

Probus Imperial
    rs2800fd1414.jpg

7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Barclay Head: "Imperial coins from Aurelius to Caracalla, and, after a break, again, under Gallienus."
    http://snible.org/coins/hn/thrace.html#Serdica

Alegandron, Ryro and benhur767 like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks. Your link mentions:
    "ΟΥΛΠΙΑC CЄΡΔΙΚΗC, or, on small coins, CЄΡΔΩΝ."
    which I always found a bit odd as on this AE18 Caracalla which has the extreme obverse abbreviation AV K M ANT A. When space is a premium, we improvise.
    pm1340bb1681.jpg

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks for posting the link

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I only have three coins from the Serdica mint:
    Volusian 1.jpg
    VOLUSIAN
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: CONCORDIA AVG G - Concordia seated left, holding patera and two cornucopiae
    Struck at Serdica, 251-253 AD
    3.4g, 20mm
    RIC 168 (Trebonianus Gallus), C 25
    Aurelian 2.jpg
    AURELIAN
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: ORIENS AVG, Sol standing left with hand raised, foot on one of two bound captives, XXIP in ex.
    Struck at Serdica, 274 AD
    3.4g, 23mm
    RIC 63f, Venera 1008, C 145
    Probus 5 a.jpg
    PROBUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE:IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, mantled & cuirassed bust left holding eagle-tipped sceptre
    REVERSE: SOLI INVICTO, Sol in spread quadriga, holding globe and raising right hand. Mintmark KA Delta
    Struck at Serdica, 276-282 AD
    3.2g, 24mm
    RIC V 861, D

11. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

no no not more roman rules the rarity and prices, more comes and comes!!!

How more coins come on the market how lower the prices and rarity/ thats my meaning
    example iff there comes 100000 galba i think prices going down

Any way weldone nice find:)

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Exactly!!!!

13. Gavin Richardson

I don't have a Galba yet. Bring on the 100,000 Galbae!

Theodosius likes this.
  14. Gavin Richardson

I guess since this is my own thread, I can hijack it.

Does anyone know if the mint at Ostia has ever been located? I've been to Ostia Antica twice but I didn't visit the mint location because I don't think the mint there has been found--odd given all the archeological work done there. Maybe I'm missing something and the mint location is well known. Does anybody know?

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  15. Roma

Roma Active Member

Ostia mint location is a clue. You have to think that ostia mint started to work for short period with maxentius that decided to mint gold and silver coinage in a safer place. Ostia was the perfect location, not far to be controlled. For this reason they probably reused existing building to do that but archeological evidence didn't help to identify them.
    In the 80's many thought that the location was now flooded by Tiber because during the daywork in the tiber mouth everyday someone found ancient coins. This is only a legend, I sincerly doubt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted