Sequential bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Hiddendragon, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Last night I got $60 from the ATM, and what came out was three 20s, all sequential numbers from 2006 and looking uncirculated to my non-expert eye. I was just wondering if this means these bills have just been sitting somewhere unused since 2006. How else would they still be in sequence?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

The last printing of Series 2006 $20 notes occurred in July 2010. The first printing of Series 2009 notes occurred in December 2009. Therefore the two series overlapped for eight months, ending five months ago, and it's no surprise Series 2006 notes are freshly entering circulation.

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

So the date really has little bearing on when they were printed? Why would they start a new series and still be printing the old series?

5. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

I just got two sequential $5 bills from 2006 today in change as well...and they are minty-fresh.

I too thought they must have been sitting around nearly 5 years and were recently circulated :(

-LTB

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A direct quote from the Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S.Paper Money 1928 to Date ; " Prior to the series 1974, the series date on the face of each bill indicated the year in which the face design of the note was adopted. The capital letter following the series year indicates that a minor change was authorized in a particular series. Such a change occurred with a new Secretary of the Treasury or Treasurer of the United States. This policy was changed when William E. Simon became Secretary of the Treasury. He directed that the series year would be changed whenever there was a change in Office of the Secretary of the Treasury. Now the series dates are advanced by one letter, or a new year is selected, the latter being more common recently. Consequently, each new signature now results in a surprise for the collector" Unlike coins, the series year on paper currency has little to do with when it was printed by the BEP, and even less with the release date.

7. jholla89

jholla89 New Member

i work for an armored truck company that fills atms. We load a lot of 20s straight from BEP straps. Thats what we get from the banks so you could have gotten a lot in sequence

Draft saved Draft deleted