SeptimusT's Top 10 of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Dec 27, 2019.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

With finals, graduation, and the rush of Christmas, it’s been a busy past few weeks, so I’m cutting it close with this list. Narrowing it down to just 10 is difficult; I’m leaving out some things that were more expensive than some of these, and some things which are rarer or even more beautiful. For my top 10, I’ve decided to focus on those coins that I consider most interesting in one way or another, and which have been most influential to my interests this year. Although my interest is still mostly struck coinage, it’s a bit more diverse than last year’s list, since my interest has increasingly been defined by hybridity – coins which show the blending of cultures, or which come from unexpected geographical regions. I have also become interested in the history of money itself. This means that Alexandria once again gets a nice showing, but India and Central Asia also make an appearance alongside my trusty Greco-Romans. As always, take the exact numbering with a grain of salt. As always, take this as an invitation to share your own coins which these inspire you to think of!

For 2020, my collecting goals are to pare down my collection a bit, acquire a few more high end coins (probably Greek or Roman Republic ARs), keep expanding my Alexandrian collection, and to acquire a pre or post-Roman British coin (probably Celtic or Saxon). I am going to try to stay focused, but I have no doubt that there will be plenty of interesting ‘snacks’ along the way…

Deer Ashoka.png
    #10: Punchmarked Karshapana of the Mauryan Empire, 14x13mm, 3.42g, ~272-230 BC, GH Vb 510-11
    Obverse
    : Deer/goat, sun symbol, six armed symbol, 'caduceus,' tree in railing symbol
    Reverse: Taurine triskeles in circle

I acquired four of these punchmarked Indian coins this year, along with a copy of Gupta-Hardaker. Picking this one as a favorite is a little arbitrary, but I really like the style of the deer (or goat); I’m currently working on a research project on a series of countermarks on these types, but that style really isn’t very aesthetically pleasing. That project will hopefully result in a new article being finished early next year.

Illyria Drachm.png
    #9: Illyria, Dyrrhachium, AR Drachm, 17mm, 2.72g, ~229-100 BC, Maier 278; Ex JB (Edmonton) collection, AMCC Auction 2, Lot 10
    Obverse
    : ΜΕΝΙΣΚΟΣ, cow standing right, looking back at suckling calf; Harpocrates to right
    Reverse: ΔΥΡ ΛΥΚΙΣΚΟY, legend around square with geometric pattern

Acquired from AMCC 2, ex JB Collection, this coin shows what BMC and other major catalogues refer to as a ‘female statue’ in the right field, sometimes noted as ‘wearing dress of Egyptian form.’ I don’t know how they’ve overlooked the fact that this is obviously Harpocrates, the hand to mouth gesture being a clear tipoff. A short article discussing Isiaic imagery on coins from Dyrrhachium is something else I’d like to write early next year, but we’ll see.

Athena.png
    #8: Indo-Scythian Kings, Azes II, AR Drachm, 15mm, 1.92g, ~58-12 BC
    Obverse
    : BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN MEΓAΛOY AZOY, King mounted on horse right, holding whip
    Reverse: Pallas Athena standing right, holding right hand in gesture (vitarka mudra?), holding spear in left, monograms at left and right, Kharoshthi legend around: maharajasa rajarajasa mahatasa / ayasa

Although I would like a more detailed tetradrachm, this little Indo-Scythian drachm scratches my itch for a coin possibly combining Buddhist iconography with a Greco-Roman deity. Although I’d prefer it be more detailed, I apparently saw something in it; I remembered to bid on it despite the fact that I was laying in the emergency room when the auction ended, waiting to get my kneecap set back in place after dislocating it during an archaeological excavation! It depicts Athena performing a blessing gesture, a pose which is foreign to Hellenistic depictions (although similar gestures appear on later Roman coinage, being performed by the emperor). It is quite possible that in this case the gesture represents the Vitarka Mudra, which is used to symbolize the transmission of Buddhist teaching.

Vonones.png
    #7: Indo-Scythian Kings, Vonones and Spalagadames, 20mm, 8.28g, ~50 BC
    Obverse
    : CΠAΛYPIOC ΔIKAIOY AΔEΛΦOYTOY, king mounted right, within square dotted border
    Reverse: Herakles seated on rocks left, resting club on leg, monogram at left, Kharosthi legend around: spalahoraputrasa dhramiasa spalagadamasa

This type isn’t that rare, but this is by far my favorite depiction of Heracles I’ve seen on any example of it. The form of Heracles’ body might come off as cartoonish and poorly executed to some, but its smooth curves and exaggerated porportions remind me of a modern art painting, perhaps even an early Picasso. I also just like square coins.

Hadrian Canopi in Temple.jpg
    #6: Hadrian, AE Drachm of Alexandria, 33mm, 23g, AD 133-4, RPC 5917
    Obverse
    : ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙС ΤΡΙΑΝ ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟС СƐΒ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Greco-Egyptian temple enclosing two canopi; ureaus in pediment, lotus columns; LIH

I acquired quite a few Alexandrian coins this year, and picking a favorite is difficult. This one gets included because it fits my criteria of showing explicitly Egyptian iconography and being remarkably detailed for an Alexandrian drachm. I love the way these coins feel in hand, which is usually enough to compensate for their grotty appearance. In this case, that isn’t necessary. The fact that it shows two canopi within an Egyptian style temple (the columns are lotus columns) is a cherry on top.

Serveilius.png

#5: C. Servilius, AR Denarius, 18mm, 4.02g, 57 BC, Crawford 423/1
    Obverse
    : FLORA PRIMVS; Head of Flora right, wreathed in flowers, lituus behind
    Reverse: Two warriors facing each other, presenting swords; C•F• in right field, C. SERVEIL in exergue

Technically a very late 2018 addition, but it didn’t arrive until around New Years, so I think it’ll do. I wanted this one for its depiction of Roman armor, something which it does in a very nice style. The toning isn’t bad, either.

Plautius Denarius Medusa.png
    #4: L. Plautius Plancus, AR Denarius, 20mm, 3.57g, 47 BC, Crawford 453/1
    Obverse
    : Head of Medusa facing, with coiled snake on either side; below, L • PLAVTIVS; border of dots.
    Reverse: Victory facing, holding palm-branch in left hand and leading four horses; below, PLANCVS; border of dots.

I still feel a little guilty for the price of this one (besides this, only one other coin on this list cost more than $100!), but in truth it really was a bargain for the type and condition. It was a birthday present for myself earlier this year, and fit my criteria of acquiring a coin with a more naturalistic style. The reverse image is supposedly based on a painting, and it certainly shows.

Carthago copy black copy.png
    #3: Carthaginians in Iberia, AE Calco, 12mm, 1.95g, SNG BM Spain 81-84 var., published in Koinon II (this coin)
    Obverse
    : Head of Tanit left, crude style
    Reverse: Crested Corinthian helmet left, crude style; below chin inscription (open ayin?)

This one surely isn’t pretty, but it lands near the top because it’s so interesting, being the only known example of the type. There was some debate when I first acquired it over whether the small mark near the 6 o’clock position on the reverse was a corrosion product, a die crack, or an intentional letter; after further examination and discussing it with an expert on the type, I concluded that it was indeed an intentionally added letter (probably an open ayin) and published it in Koinon Volume II. I also found a few other examples of the crude type showing different letters in the same position.

Harpocrates Hadrian.jpg
    #2: Hadrian, AE Drachm of Alexandria, 34mm, 24.27g, AD 134-5, RPC 6001
    Obverse
    : ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙC ΤΡAIAN ΑΔΡΙΑNOC СƐΒ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: L ENNEAK • Δ , Harpocrates of Heracleopolis facing,head l., raising finger to lips and holding club; to l., altar

This coin checks all the boxes for ‘beautiful,’ ‘rare,’ ‘interesting,’ and even ‘bargain.’ It was a completely unexpected addition of a type I never expected to own, and is now one of my favorite Alexandrians. The image in general is fantastic, and it is also remarkably well preserved for an Alexandrian drachm.

Menander copy.jpg
    #1: Indo-Greek Kings, Menander I, 20mm, 2.1g, ~165-130 BC
    Obverse:
    BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ MENANΔPOY, Diademed, bare-headed bust of king right, discontinuous Greek legend around
    Reverse: Athena Alkidemos standing left, holding horizontal shield with aegis and hurling thunderbolt, monogram at left, Kharoshthi legend around: maharajasa tratarasa menamdrasa

I’ve already posted this one a few times, and although the styling of Menander’s nose leaves a little to be desired, the amount of detail on the reverse is stunning for such a small coin. This was my first Indo-Greek coin, and Menander is a pretty fascinating figure in general. There’s not much more to be said!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SeptimusT

Runner-ups

Picking 10 favorite coins for a whole year is hard, and so I have to consider this list with a grain of salt. They’re definitely favorites, but there are some close ones that didn’t get included. The numbering is probably nearly meaningless, depending on my mood. Here’s a few more that I especially like this year, but didn’t quite make it onto this top 10. In some cases, that’s just because I couldn’t pick between them!

Tessera.png
    Egyptian Tessera
    I was hesitant to include this one since it is debatable whether it was actually currency (it probably was); it’s also not much of a looker. However, it has some absolutely striking imagery, showing the divine triad of Demeter, Sarapis and Tyche-Isis, along with Cerberus and an eagle. It shows a fantastic amount of syncretism, with these deities combining elements of Nepthys, Osiris, Sarapis, Isis, Tyche, Demeter, Zeus, and Pluto. I have not been able to find a tessera like this, and it does not appear to be in Dattari (the only reference I have for these).

Oesho Kushan.png
    Tetradrachm of Kanishka Kushan
    I love the feel of heavy tetradrachms, and this one does not disappoint. For a Kushan coin, the condition is beyond fantastic.

Knidya.png
    Sea Monster of Caria, Kindya, ex Baldwin Maull
    For my collection, this is a very early coin, and the style of manufacture, with its abstract and deeply incuse reverse, fits nicely with my interest in the history of money. To me, it invokes early Gandharan coinage.

Hermanubis.jpg
    Hermanubis
    I didn’t include these simply because I didn’t want to fill my entire list with Alexandria, and because I honestly couldn’t pick a favorite. I somehow acquired three coins with Hermanubis this year, paying less than $100 for all three. Picking a favorite out of the three would be difficult.

Wolf and Twins Severus Alexander Tetradrachm.png
    Egyptian Wolf and Twins, Severus Alexander
    Another Alexandrian which I am quite fond of, this one is unusual for featuring a distinctly Roman reverse type, with the wolf and twins. It appears on a few other Alexandrian issues, but is overall quite unusual.

Central Asia.jpg
    Central Asian currencies
    Truth be told, these are all pretty ugly, but they sure are interesting. No single one is nice enough to make the list, but as a whole I find them captivating. These coins come from modern day Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, once home to a number of wealthy Silk Road principalities, and date from late antiquity to the early Middle Ages. They demonstrate a fascinating mix of Hellenistic, Byzantine, Indian, Iranian, Turkic, and Chinese iconographic and economic influences, creating something totally unique to this region while at the same time reminding us of ancient ‘globalization.’

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like you had a great year! Those are indeed fascinating coins. My favorites are your Hermanubis ones. I'll bet you had a lot of fun researching them all. May 2020 be good to you!

SeptimusT likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congrats on a fine year!
    I really like the Indo-Greek coins:)
    John

SeptimusT likes this.
  6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Great year. Plancus and Servilius RR den. have always been 2 of my favorites of the republic.

SeptimusT likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great group! I would promote the year one Severus Alexander wolf and twins.

SeptimusT likes this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice group indeed...but I love your two Hadrian Drachme in terrific condition for the type, well done on a great year of collecting.

SeptimusT and Andres2 like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting and diverse selection! I love the two RRs, especially the Plautius Plancus. Excellent reverse and overall very appealing. The Alexandrians are wonderful. The Harpocrates is especially nice, and I like the Severus Alexander wolf and twins very much too.

SeptimusT likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You have picked up some great bargains with those Alexandrians and I'm envious! The Hadrian canopic drachm is my favorite.

The Plancus is fantastic-- great reverse!

SeptimusT and Andres2 like this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm very jealous of the Severus Alexander / wolf and twins.
    It would be my #1 any day

Q

SeptimusT likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great collection year, @SeptimusT . all of them are great coins. I really cannot single out one or two coins, because they all have great significance. Very nice collection!

SeptimusT likes this.
  13. SeptimusT

I promise that the Severus Alexander is in a very loving home ;) It’s on my desk display presently. Having it in hand, it is among the last of then Alexandrian tets to actually feel ‘silvery.’ I suppose I could bump the Azes out to make room for him, but the actual numbering of the list is a bit iffy anyway. I wanted to show off the diversity of my collecting this year, and a big drachm always wins out if I have to choose!

Cucumbor likes this.
  14. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Those are some great coins @SeptimusT it's hard to pick a favorite. The drachm of Menander I is lovely. His coins are one of the areas I could focus more on in the future. I also really like the canopic jars on the reverse of the Hadrian drachm. Congrats on a wonderful year of coining.

SeptimusT likes this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The Roman Egypt coins rule.
    Glad that they could be had for bargain prices as well.
    You must have an outstanding source!

SeptimusT likes this.
  16. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Lovely coins!....Your 1st is my 1st too!....But after that I love the Hadrian Drachm with the canopi! Super coin!

SeptimusT likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted