Septimus Severus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

193-211 AD
    Obv. is listed by seller as Type D (Imp III)
    Rev. as Appolo with Lyre and Patera
    Sellers source: Sears 1815

I have no idea so help please.
    IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Welcome, @Collecting Nut ! I'm glad to see you've caught the ancient coin bug! I hope you'll not only show us more of your collection in the future, but that you join us in discussing and appreciating others' coins, too.

One thing that would help everyone appreciate your coin would be to crop the photo. Nobody wants to see 90% envelope and 10% coin. People want to see 90% coin, like this:

12345.JPG
    12346.JPG

And with a little bit of photo processing, you can combine the images and adjust the color of the background:

123456.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Also, if you told everyone the diameter in mm and the weight of the coin in grams, it would help us to appreciate that this was not a denarius, but an as -- made of bronze and measuring about 26 mm in diameter -- like this one from the British Museum:

11613093552_l.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Bing, Collecting Nut and TIF like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Isn't it amazing how a better photo enabled us to realize the SC in the reverse field meant this was not a denarius? Thank you for the effort. It is easier to help those who make it easier to help them. While the coin is not high grade, an as that looks like this is a much better item than a denarius that has those same faults.

Draft saved Draft deleted