Septimus Severus denarius on Horseback

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GeorgeM, Dec 6, 2022.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I recently picked this up while looking for an exhibit worthy illustration coin. [I'm seeking a few good Roman & Greek examples of classical horseback portrayal for an exhibit on the coins & medals showing St. George slaying the dragon.] Condition isn't wonderful, but I hope to look half as good at the same age! Even if I do have a notch missing.

I'm tentatively ID'ing this as SEAR 6256: S. Severus obverse, reverse showing horseback rider proceding to the right with arm raised under "Adventvs Felicissimo" (a very happy arrival). More details on that legend here: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/PROFECTIO/ADVENTVS.html

Roman - c196 - Denarius of Septimus Severus Sear 6256.jpg

What really stood out to me is the story of which triumph this apparently illustrates (and how the reverse design just happens to reinforce a story about the emperor's actions).

Apparently, Severus had similar coins made for several of his triumphal processions. There's some debate about which victory was number VII, but after he defeated the pretender to the throne Clodius Albinus at the battle of Lugdunum, Emperor Severus reportedly had the body of Albinus laid out to trample under the feet of his horse. After that, he beheaded the corpse and then threw the headless body into a river along with various murdered family members.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clodius_Albinus

One might suppose that Albinus angered the Emperor somewhat.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

27 29 mm 20 56 g.jpg
    On this sestertius all legends are almost entirely rubbed-off (but I like it for his semi-precious stone patina). It's IMP VIII and not literally a triumph, just an adventus : the ceremonial entry of the Emperor in Rome.
    For a triumph, the emperor should be standing in a chariot.
    For a mere adventus, he is on horseback.
    This ceremonial entry occurred in 196, Severus was back from the Orient where he had conquered his opponent Pescennius Niger, governor of Syria who claimed the empire against him and, after this, made an expedition in North Mesopotamia so the Parthians would know who's boss in Rome.

The Marcus Aurelius bronze statue who is in the middle of the Capitol Piazza in Rome (it remained free-standing in Rome for 18 centuries and nobody stole it or destroyed it! Now it's a copy, the real one is in the museum just next to the piazza) is also an adventus statue. It is on the Italian 50 cents coins...

italie 50 c-original.jpg

robinjojo, GeorgeM, Struck7 and 4 others like this.
  4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

For Greek you might consider some of the types from Phillip, though the one I attached has a disproportionately small rider!

4-7O2QP.jpg

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Actually, this might suit you even better:

IONIA, Magnesia ad Maeandrum. Circa 300 BC. AR Attic Octobol (5.41 gm). Isagoras, magistrate. Rider with lance on horseback prancing right / Bull butting left; magistrate ISAGORAS, Greek "Z" below; all within circular maeander pattern. Kinns, Magnesia -; BMC Ionia -; SNG Copenhagen -; SNG von Aulock -; SNG Kayhan -. Good VF, some light porosity. ($300)
    660452.jpg

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Septimius Severus 1.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: ADVENTI FELICISSIMO, Severus on horseback right raising hand
    Struck at Rome, 196 AD
    3.4g, 17mm
    RIC 74, S 6256, C 6

7. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions for horsebacked / spear wielding ancients.

For a similar theme, I also picked up a Magnentius AE24mm follis weighing 4.6g recently. The seller's pics came out better than my own (trying out a new Oukitel 16 camera with 30mp infrared camera... but either its software or lens isn't up to par with the Samsung s10 I usually use - except in pure dark situations):

Roman - Magnentius AE24mm  follis 4 6g 01.png Roman - Magnentius AE24mm  follis 4 6g 02.png 52606476312_4fc00c0b28_o.jpg 52607233004_b5bb06a1e0_o.jpg 52607233164_83efdb1426_o.jpg

ancient times and robinjojo like this.
  8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins posted!

This is probably my favorite horseback theme ancient coin, purchased from Harlan Berk back in the 1990s when a hoard appeared on the market, as is often the case with these coins.

Bactria Eukratides I, AR tetradrachm, 171-135 BC.
    17.0 grams

D-Camera Bactria Eukratides I tetradrachm 171-135 BC 17.0 Berk  2-7-21.jpg

GeorgeM, longshot, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted