Septimius Severus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eric the Red, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Septimius Severus

195px-Septimius_Severus_Glyptothek_Munich_357.jpg

Lucius SeptimiusSeverus was a Roman Emperor from 193 to 211. He was born in Leptis Magna (present-day Al-Khums, Libya) in the Roman province of Africa. As a young man he advanced through the customary succession of offices under the reigns of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus. Severus seized power after the death of the emperor Pertinax in 193 during the Year of the Five Emperors.

170px-0205_Altes_Museum_Septimius_Severus_anagoria.JPG

Roman emperor
    Reign
    9 April 193 –
    4 February 211[1]
    Predecessor Didius Julianus
    Successors Caracalla and Geta
    Co-emperors
    • Caracalla (198–211)
    • Geta (209–211)

Born
    Lucius Septimius Severus[2]
    11 April 145[3]
    Leptis Magna, Africa
    Died 4 February 211 (aged 65)[4]
    Eboracum, Britain
    Spouse
    Issue Caracalla and Geta
    Regnal name
    Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax Augustus[5]
    Dynasty Severan
    Father Publius Septimius Geta
    Mother Fulvia Pia

Here is a newly acquired Septimius Severus from my collection. Please post some of yours.

Cheers

20230127_163352.jpg 20230127_163416.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice one.

I'll post a coin I haven't posted on here, my Septimius Severus Tetradrachm.

h_0bace8f4d137ce8a45d5693852b85461-PhotoRoom.jpg
    Septimius Severus (193 - 211 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    SELEUCIS and PIERIA
    Laodicea ad Mare
    O: AVT KAI CЄOVHPOC CЄ, laureate and draped bust right, seen from side.
    R: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ VΠATOC TO Γ, eagle standing facing, head left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; star between legs. 208-9 A.D.
    11.61g
    28mm
    McAlee, Severan Group 3, 25; Prieur 1149; Bellinger 52

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have too many (if that's possible)Sept Sev coins. Here is one like yours in poorer quality Septimius Severus 3.jpg

And another just cause I like the design
    Septimius Severus 21.jpg

5. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

There are never too many @Bing ;)

I only have a few; none is like the ones shared in the thread.

RIC notes that his coins prior to 200 AD were struck on "singularly small, thickish flans". Accordingly, this should be known as his Dumpy Flan period.

AR Denarius, Rome 197 - 198 AD, struck under the authority of Septimius Severus and co-ruler Caracalla
    15 x 16 mm, 3.318 g
    RIC IV Septimius Severus 119A; Cohen 641;

Ob.: : [L SEPT] SEV PERT AVG IMP X (Lucius Septimus Severus Pertinax Augustus Imperator Decimum) Head of Septimius Severus, laureate, right
    Rv.: SALVTI AVGG (Saluti Augustorum) Salus, draped, seated left, in extended r. hand feeding out of patera snake coiled round altar

upload_2023-1-27_20-26-54.png upload_2023-1-27_20-27-4.png

6. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

upload_2023-1-28_3-42-14.jpeg

Septimius Severus, 193-211 A.D. AR Denarius (19 mm, 3.3 g) SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right. RESTITVTOR VRBIS, Roma seated left holding palladium & spear, round shield below. RIC 288, RSC 606

7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The OP comes from a variety with TEMPO instead of TEMPOR. It looks like the same reverse die as my example:-

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FELICIT TEMPO, grain ear between crossed cornucopiae.
    Minted in eastern COS II mint (Emesa ?). A.D. 194-195
    Reference:- Cohen 142. BMCRE 347 note. RIC IV 372 (Rated S). RSC 142.

On the face of it this coin is simply RIC IV 372 though RIC notes that Cohen likely has SEPT in error. RIC and BMCRE cite Cohen 142 for this variant (TEMPO instead of the usual TEMPOR). Cohen 142 reads FELICIT TEMPOR or TEMPO. It would appear that RIC and BMCRE could not find other examples of the TEMPO type other than Cohen when mentioning this variation

[​IMG]

8. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Laodicea-ad-Mare during the reign of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS between 198 - 200 A.D. Obv. L.SEPT.SEV.AVG.IMP.XI.PART.MAX.: laur. hd. r., drapery on l. shoulder. Rev. ANNONAE.AVG.: Annona standing l., r. foot on prow, holding two corn-ears & cornucopia. RSCIII #39. RICIV #123. DVM #9.

upload_2023-1-28_9-15-2.png upload_2023-1-28_9-19-38.png

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome during the reign of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS between 200 - 201 A.D. Obv. SEVERVS.AVG.PART.MAX.: laur. hd. r. Rev. PROVID.AVGG.: Providentia standing half-left, holding sceptre in r. hand and holding wand over globe at her left side. RCS #1783. RSCIII #586. RICIV #166. DVM #130.
    upload_2023-1-28_9-20-18.png

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome during the reign of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS in 202 A.D. Obv. SEVERVS.PIVS.AVG.: laur. hd. r. Rev. VOT.SVSC.DEC.P.M.TR.P.X.COS.III.P.P.: Severus, veiled as a priest, standing half-left, sacrificing out of patera over lighted tripod, holding roll in r. hand (Vota suscepta: refers to the vows undertaken, on the tenth anniversary of the reign in 202 A.D., for another ten years of prosperous rule). RSCIII #786. RICIV #186. DVM #178.

upload_2023-1-28_9-16-30.png upload_2023-1-28_9-16-52.png
    Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome during the reign of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS in 201 A.D. Obv. SEVERVS.PIVS.AVG.: laur. hd. r. Rev. PART.MAX.P.M.TR.P.VIIII.: Two captives at foot of trophy. RSCIII #370. RICIV #176.

upload_2023-1-28_9-17-49.png upload_2023-1-28_9-18-2.png
    Silver Coin (AR Denarius) minted during the reign of SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS in 200 A.D. Obv. SEVERVS.AVG.PART.MAX.: Laur. hd. r. Obv. VIRT.AVGG.: Roma standing l., holding Victory, spear and shield. RCS #1796. RSCII #761. RICIV #171a.
    upload_2023-1-28_9-18-50.png upload_2023-1-28_9-19-2.png

Attached Files:

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The OP type accurs across a range of issues from this mint and is one of many variations

The earliest examples all begin with longer reverse legends.

The earliest that I have comes from the rare II CO obverse legend

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SE-V PERT AVG II CO, laureate head right
    Rev:– FELICITAS TEMPOR, grain ear between crossed cornucopiae
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194.
    Refernces:- BMCRE -. RIC-. RSC -

2.22 gms. 180 degrees. 18.02 mm

[​IMG]

It also occurs in the COS I issues

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FEILECITAS (sic) TEMPOR, grain ear between crossed cornucopiae
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194 - 195
    Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

[​IMG]

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FELICITAS TIMPO (sic), two grain ears between crossed cornucopiae.
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194-195
    Reference:- Cohen -. BMCRE -, RIC IV -, RSC -

Not previously known with two grain ears

[​IMG]

This is the most common of the COS II types

Rev:– FELICIT TEMPOR, grain ear between crossed cornucopiae.
    Reference:- Cohen 142. BMCRE 347, RIC IV 373 (S), RSC 142b
    Die axis 0 degrees. Weight 3.18g

[​IMG]

Lots of legend variants exist

Rev:– FELICIT TEMPOM (sic), grain ear between crossed cornucopiae.
    Reference:- RIC IV 373 note
    Die axis 0 degrees. Weight 3.09g

[​IMG]

We can also prove that the type was made contemporary with the VICTOR SEVER AVG type....

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I - I, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FELICITAS TEMPOR, grain ear between crossed cornucopiae / VICTOR SEVER AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left.
    Reference:– BMCRE 347 note/ BMCRE 399. RIC 347A/RIC 428. RSC 141b/RSC 749

The reverse of this coin has been struck with two diffrerent reverse dies during the strking process. The coin was originally struck, not removed and then struck again with a different reverse die.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL stunning coin! I love the eastern denarius of Septimius

Eric the Red likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have just one Septimius Severus coin.

Septimius Severus Den All.jpg

Denarius of Septimius Severus. Obverse: SEVERVS PIVS AVG “Septimius dutiful, patriotic, augustus” Reverse: VICTORIAE AVGG “Victory to our Augustus” (Victory in a galloping biga holding a whip. Sear 6379, Ric 299, RSC 713, Year 193?

I actually become more interested in the female side of the family.

Julia Domna, his wife.

Julia Domna denar All.jpg

Denarius of Julia Domna, Obverse: IVLIA AVGVSTA “Julia augusta” Reverse: MATER AVGG “Mother of augustus.” Cybele seated in cart pulled by lions. Sear 6592

Julia Domna den Isis All.jpg

Denarius of Julia Domna, Obverse: IVLIA AVGVSTA “Julia augusta” Reverse: SAECVLI FELICITAS “Happy age.” The goddess Isis nursing her son, Horus. Sear 6606

Isis was ancient Egyptian goddess of fertility. In addition she was the goddess of motherhood, magic, death healing and rebirth. It is interesting to see an Egyptian goddess on a Roman coin.

12. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins! I have not seen that type of Septimius Severus denarius since the days when Ancient Auction House and Paganecoins were selling - the glory days of ancient coins on ebay. I have hundreds of printouts in loose leaf folders of images of coins sold by these two companies and I know I have seen this type - and will check later. But all three of these are gorgeous!

johnmilton likes this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I only have this one from Gerd & Annemarie Kö bfddba9070df902f10e675655a5ba53e.jpg hlmoos Collection.

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not much to look at compared to others in this thread. Heres mine.
    Septimius Severus AR Denarius. 197 AD.

Obv: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIIII, laureate head right
    Rev: P M TR P V COS II P P, Genius, naked, standing half-left, holding patera, sacrificing over altar, and corn ears.

RIC IV-1, 105; Cohen 437.
    upload_2023-2-5_10-3-34.jpeg
    upload_2023-2-5_10-3-16.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  15. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Not sure how I feel about Severus. He stepped in and rectified a chaotic situation, but fell heavily under the influence of his Praetorian Prefect and had a tendency toward brutality that even outpaced the standards for the time.

In reality, the most impressive people from the Severan Dynasty were the women. Just think about what all of the Julias could have accomplished if the men weren't working so hard to screw everything up! :stop: (I exclude Sev. Alexander from this group, he actually seemed pretty decent)

Here's my Severus:
    upload_2023-2-5_12-41-29.png

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

He is rated #7 "worst Emperor top 10 list". He was not ashamed of displaying his cruelty. Caracalla would follow in Dad's murderous rampages. Stalin and Putin probably read up on Septimus Severus way of eliminately threats by killing off political opponents.

Bing and Eric the Red like this.
  17. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Severus’s descendants remained in power until 235 AD with the exception of the rule of Macrinus (217–218). It was the last dynasty of the Roman Empire before the Crisis of the Third Century. The stability Severus provided to the Empire was soon gone under their reign. It was the last dynasty of the Roman Empire before the Crisis of the Third Century.
    He was one of the most militarily vigorous emperors, crushing the rebellious Byzantines, the Parthian empire, various Arab tribes, the Assyrians at Adiabene, the Caledonians in Britain, as well as the Roman Senate for good measure.

Eric the Red and panzerman like this.
  18. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

normal_Septime Sévère Sesterce.jpg
    My 2 cents: this nice Septimius Severus portrait on a 195 AD sestertius...
    The rev. legend reads DIVI · M · PII · F · P M TR P III COS II P P / S - C

Draft saved Draft deleted