Septimius Severus with uber-cool elephant reverse [Plaid Elephant]

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Septimius Severus
    AR Denarius A.D. 193-211

4.01 gms, 20.2 mm
    Obv: Laurerate bust of Severus right.
    SEPTSEVPERT AVGIMP VIIII.
    Rev: Elephant facing right wearing
    cuirass. MVNIFICENTIA.
    Grade: gEF pretty much as struck.
    Well centered with 90% of legends
    clear.
    Other: Nice reverse with very clear plaid pattern on elephant. Sear 1766.
    Ex Heritage Jan 2013 auction 231304 Lot #61069 From Eye Appealing Coins 9/2013.

IMG_5695.jpg IMG_5696.jpg

Windchild, randygeki, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very cool addition. Always liked these types.

Collect89 likes this.
  4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I took photos of this coin with a few different liht sources and backgrounds. What good is a photo if you don't post it. Here you go- IMG_5715.jpg IMG_5714.jpg IMG_5686.jpg IMG_5687.jpg

randygeki, TIF, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i love that waffle elephant! the bust details are super also.

vlaha and Collect89 like this.
  6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

FWIW, the photo with the black background was taken with fluorescent lighting. The white/grey background was taken with Sun light. The pink (hand) background was taken using incandescent (Tungsten) illumination.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thank you for the coin-complement. The term "waffle elephant" is a good one. In my mind's-eye I was calling it a "plaid elephant" until I got home & looked it up. The Sear book refers to the checkerboard pattern as "wearing cuirass". Here is the definition of cuirass:

cui·rass/kwiˈras/
    Noun
    A piece of armor consisting of breastplate and backplate fastened together.
    A hard protective cover on an animal.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Superb coin! I like the first set of images the best.

Collect89 likes this.
  9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Ele-phat!

Collect89 likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice. I love the elephant and it's Scottish plaid. I wonder which clan it belongs?

I think this was struck at Rome. Is that right? If so, I think the RIC attribution might be RIC 100. And if so, the obverse legend should start with "L" (which I think I see in your image), thus making it L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIIII, laureate head right / MVNIFICENTIA AVG, Elephant wearing cuirass walking right. I think I also see the "AVG" on the reverse legend.

Collect89 likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a very nice example of what is usually struck on a small flan losing a lot of legend. They come in IMP VIII also. All considered, this may be the best of these I can remember seeing.

Collect89 and Ancientnoob like this.
  12. enochian

enochian silver eater

these coins look very cool and i love the name of the emperor

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh my God!! ... I'm lovin' this coin!! (what a fantastic animal-coin!!)

=> I am definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of those babies!!

Collect89 => thank you for posting your photos (I now have a new obsession)

:eek:

14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The plaid pattern is a roman representation of elephant skin. I was involved in a discussion on the topic many years ago which seems to have disappeared from the board it was on. It was regarding the following coin, which I owned at the time.

Caracalla denarius
    Obv:– ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate bust right
    Rev:– P M TR P XV COS III P P (XV over XIIII), Elephant walking right
    References:– VM 60/4, RIC 211a (Scarce), RSC 230

[​IMG]

Martin

Windchild, randygeki, TIF and 3 others like this.
  15. John Anthony

Really? Could you elaborate on that a bit? Why would the Romans see a plaid pattern in elephant skin?

16. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

There have been many discussions on this topic elsewhere. I will try and summarise what was concluded. It was all based around a discussion that these marks possibly represented armour or some other design elements. The pattern is not always diagonal as in the two exaples above and is sometimes made up of a vertical pattern

There are other representations of elephant skin in Roman art e.g. mosaics that we can use as reference points where elephant skin is being represented in a similar manner.

PiazzaArmerina-2cmprssd.jpg

PiazzaArmerinaCapturedElephant.jpg

There was even some illustration of a close up image of elephant skin

elephantskin.jpg

What is the likelihood that the engravers would have seen an elephant up close or close enought to determine the detail of the skin.

The current belief is that the pattern is simply the "normal" Roman way to illustrate the skin of the elephant.

Regards,
    Martin

Collect89, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A problem for some of us is that details like the elephant skin wear off when we collect less than mint state coins. My Philip I from Antioch mint shows a trace of the pattern on the hindquarters but that would be gone with very little more circulation.

rx0800bb0950.jpg

Similarly my IMP VIII Septimius has some of the pattern but my IMP VIIII is worn away. The OP coin was exceedingly high grade making this sort of question possible.
    rs4360bb0825.jpg rs4430bb1185.jpg

Finally, I never considered this Commodus as a bad coin but it is useless for the question of whether the pattern was used then as well. When we study other coins we must avoid saying something never existed just because we no longer see it.
    re2660bb0757.jpg

18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

C89, Great taste in coins. You really got the 'Roman guys' all riled up over this. I could show 10 Indian coins and not get a peep.:oops:

I suppose thats what happens when you have a checkered SS Elephant denarius in minty.

Collect89 likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm not sure I have ten different Indian Elephants (even using a loose definition of Indian) so I can't play unless I use minor varieties. Of course none of mine will be EF so we can't tell what their skin looked like. That was the big news of the Roman post that made this thread take off.

Attached Files:

Windchild, vlaha, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  20. John Anthony

You've got a stampede, Doug.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted