Septimius Severus - Emesa - another Mars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Oct 6, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

This coin also arrived today and is much more within my collecting focus than the fallen horseman that arrived with it.

I posted a thread on a range of my eastern Mars types of Septimius Severus here:-

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/septimius-severus-denarius-avg-ii-c-marti-avg.259612/

This new arrival comes from the common COS II issue but has a reverse legend variation that is unlisted in the references that I have access to (RIC, RSC, BMCRE, Reyka Devnia etc.) and this legend isn't in the list I included in the above thread.

Septimius Severus Denarius
    Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SE.V P-ERT AVG COS II, laureate head right
    Rev:– MARTI VICTOR, Mars advancing right carrying spear and trophy
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194 - 195
    Reference(s) – BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC - . (unlisted reverse legend variation)

[​IMG]

Martin

Gil-galad, TIF, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome rare variant! I love the style of these eastern denarii.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You and Doug with your SS Eastern mint coins just make me sick. Sick with envy. Another great coin.

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice. I really like the reverse.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Like everyone else, I absolutely love that 'Eastern Bronze'!!!

Recently, the best I could do to complement my denarius is to add a drachma of Septimius with a Mount Argeus reverse:

Septimius severus drachma, MT argeus.jpg

stevex6, Gil-galad, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  7. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Great coin, I am getting much inspired about this....keep them coming

8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Since I'm a member here I've seen so many eastern Severan denarii that I'm starting to develop an interest in this niche.
    This one looks better than the average.

9. maridvnvm

Trust me, I am not trying to encourage others to drift into this dark corner of collecting. There are a few of us who lurk in these shadows and if it ever becomes popular then I will never be able to purchase another coin of interest.

Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I can imagine. But one cannot go against the law of unintended consequences. But newcomers into the niche is also a blessing in disguise as it gives you the opportunity to unload some of the specs you grew tired of to new, interested collectors, thus providing mana for future purchases :)

TIF and Jwt708 like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That already happened to me (almost). I have bought very few since about 2003. Just curious, when did you start collecting them? I thought it would get easier when Barry Murphy stopped and several others that used to compete that no longer do. I was wrong.

Below is one of my favorites. Can anyone tell why?
    rs2140bb1660.jpg

12. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Whenever you ask us to guess why you like a coin I seem to always assume spelling errors so I am going to go with AVC instead of AVG on the obverse?

13. maridvnvm

A fascinating coin that doesn't seem to quite hang together. I have never seen either die and suspect that it is unofficial.

By the way I bought my first Eastern Severan back in 2002.

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I keep getting tempted to get more. :nailbiting:

Draft saved Draft deleted