Septimius Severus Denarius Laodicea Mint Victory Reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

For you Septimius Severus fans out there...I'm sure there's at least one or two here, here's my second Septimius Severus, and this time a non-Roman Mint coin.

Septimius Severus Laodicea Mint.jpg
    Septimius Severus 193-211
    AR Denarius 17mm. 3.55g. Laodicea mint. A.D 198-202
    L SEPT SEEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
    VICTORIAE A[V]GG FEL, Victory advancing left, holding open wreath over shield set on low base
    RIC 516; RSC 719

Probably not the nicest portrait style out there, at least not compared to my other one, but I really like the toning and the Victory on the reverse.

Here's my other Septimius Severus:
    Septimius Severus Neptune denarius.jpg

You can see what i mean by the portrait on the first coin compared to this one, but still, I think both coins have their charm.

CALLING ALL SEPT. SEVUS FANS: Post your Laodicea Mint denari if you've got them, or otherwise your favorite portrait of Sept. Severus if all you have is Roman Mint.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice example from the later period of Laodicea. After Septimius finished off the rival claimants to the throne and punished the Parthians for supporting the wrong side, there was no longer a need for branch mints in the East so, after the time of this coin, his coins all came from Rome.

Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

They're both nice. I'm not a connoisseur of portraits like Doug or Martin and would be hard-pressed to describe the differences. Hmm. It could make for an interesting quiz though... @dougsmit, @maridvnvm, I hope you don't mind if I lift some of your images for a quizrevolution quiz :)

I have only two Septimius Imperials, the one below and another denarius from a mixed lot.

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus
    Rome, CE 206
    AR denarius, 3.41 gm, 20 mm, 12h
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: LAETITIA TEMPORVM, the spina of the Circus Maximus decorated as a ship facing left, with the turning posts at its prow and stern, a sail mounted on the central obelisk, and the spina's other monuments visible in between; above the ship, four quadrigas racing left; below, seven animals: an ostrich at left and a bear at right; between them a lion and a lioness chasing a wild ass and a panther attacking a bison
    Ref: RIC 274; BMC 343
    ex Colosseo Collection

danielus, randygeki, Jwt708 and 15 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice new coin.

Sallent likes this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Here is a scarce minor issue...

Does anyone else have anything from this issue?

Septimius Severus denarius
    Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
    Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
    Eastern mint. A.D. 198
    Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

Very rare.

[​IMG]

Rev:– AR AD TR P VI / COS II P P, Two captives seated back to back at the foot of a trophy
    Eastern mint. A.D. 198
    Reference:– BMCRE page 280 Sword, citing RD page 105. RIC 494b corr.

Slightly double struck on the reverse.

Very rare

[​IMG]

Rev:– SALVTI AVGG, Salus seated left feeding snake coiled around altar
    Eastern mint. A.D. 198
    Reference:– BMCRE page 281 Note, citing RD page 102. RIC 497b corr.

Holed and worn but an obverse die match to my other two examples from this rare earliest version of obverse legend variety.

Very rare

[​IMG]

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice lookin' coins sallent!

here's my only SS denarius...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so do you guys consider you eastern mint denari imperials or provincials?

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 10 others like this.
  8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

9. Sallent

You know guys, there must be something to those Severan era denarii that is highly addictive, because this is my 8th Severan denarii and I'm already planning to get more to fill in the gaps for those members of the family I still have missing, as well as various different types for members of the family I already have coins for.

PS: I forgot to get on the wagon this month...this is like my 9th ancient coin in September...LOL

Mikey Zee likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice SepSever!

I only have one to offer since I really am not into the Imperials / Provincials as much.

I am one of the RR guys that gets hit with all the Pre-denarii / AES MOU crud.

I am wondering if @Carthago should just start buying them for me so I don't have to mess with it:

RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing Obv-Rev.jpg

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a cool variety of examples in just a few posts above!!!

And @TIF I LOVE that gally/circus maximus reverse!! WOW!!

I'll throw in an easily differentiated western and eastern example....
    Sept sec denarius Africa.jpg Septimius severus drachma, MT argeus.jpg

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 11 others like this.
  12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I don't know why they consider this silver denarius as rare. It has Bacchus, the god of wine on reverse. RIC 27 a.

S Sev O RIC27 a      Rome.jpg S Sev Bachus rare   Denarius.jpg

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Like @chrsmat71, I'm a bit confused by this. The second coin has Greek legends. Isn't it a provincial rather than imperial?

danielus likes this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes:Unless I'm totally confused again, the Greek lettering on my drachma of Severus places it in the 'Provincial' category which is why I thought it was 'easily differentiated'...right??

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone. I only have one severus denarius
    106115.jpg

danielus, randygeki, stevex6 and 8 others like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Okay. I think we're on the same page. I thought you meant the second coin was an Imperial denarius. I misunderstood :)

As a note to all: this is a good example of why it is useful to post the full attribution every time you show a coin, or at least a link to the full attribution if it is something you've posted before, . It keeps people like me from becoming confused :D.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  17. Bing

18. Bing

Septimius Severus 13b.jpg Septimius Severus 6.jpg Septimius Severus 4.jpg Septimius Severus 7.jpg Septimius Severus 5.jpg Septimius Severus 3.jpg Septimius Severus 2.jpg Septimius Severus 16.jpg Septimius Severus 14.jpg

Addictive? Really?

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have very few later Laodicea denarii. I have too many Emesa and just the right number of Alexandrias (not really).
    rs3140bb0309.jpg

The one below is not official and I'm not sure it is ancient. It came from NFA XXXIII.
    rs3260bb0930.jpg
    I later got another one even worse.
    rs3261bb0930a.jpg

danielus, randygeki, Bing and 7 others like this.
  20. Sallent

Nice ones. I think all your cool S. Severus coins have been rubbing off on me. I want some from Emesa and Alexandria too. It's hard not to fall in love with all the cool examples you got.

danielus likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You can have any of my images for quizes. Want a disk or can we just email in bulk? The quizrevolution s/w uses such small images, I could make a low quality bulk reduction and send you the bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted