Septimius Severus/Caracalla bridge reverse coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jul 2, 2020.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Please post pics of any Septimius Severus and Caracalla bronze coins depicting bridges on the reverse. This is for a project I am undertaking. Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't have any but I am just chiming in with the hopes of seeing some cool coins :)

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Regretfully, nary.

5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

6. jamesicus

Thank you for posting those links @rooman9 - I had read those articles previously and that is one of the coins that I was hoping I could see posted by a CT member here - “Extremely Rare” makes that prospect pretty dismal though. My reference also mentions a bronze coin of Caracalla that bears a depiction of a bridge possibly erected by him over the RiverTay during his campaign in Scotland. But I am not having any luck chasing that down. Again, thank you for posting those links.

rooman9 likes this.
  7. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

The Caracalla coin, showing emperors and soldiers crossing a bridge of boats, is a unique small medallion (no S C) formerly in the Vatican collection, now in Paris courtesy of Napoleon, Cohen 603 (misreading the tribunician number XII as VII), illustrated by Gnecchi, Medallions, vol. 3, pl. 152.9.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    DonnaML likes this.
  8. jamesicus

Thank you for that information, Curtis. Of course that means the chances are very slim that I will see a pic of that coin posted here!

9. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Maybe a second specimen will turn up some day!

Septimius' bridge type, linked to above by Alegandron, was for centuries only known on asses (three rev. dies if I recall correctly), a unique aureus, and a unique but false large bronze medallion, described and illustrated by Cohen 522.

But in recent years an authentic large bronze medallion has turned up (CNG E170, 2007, lot 260, now in my collection), plus two sestertii of the type, one in BM from my collection, and a second, from the same rev. die, shown recently at Leu Numismatics, who sent me a picture of the piece.

DonnaML, Gary R. Wilson and jamesicus like this.
  10. jamesicus

I had also requested information via a posting here:

"https://www.cointalk.com/threads/au...paigned-in-britain.362399/page-2#post-4603593" (Augusti & Caesars who campaigned in Britain)

…………… also please read the second post.

After reading, and re-reading, the material via the links you provided @DCCR (together with your own comments) I have a much better understanding about these bridges and the coins possibly associated with them. Thank you again for your help, @DCCR!

The input of Curtis Clay in all this was, as usual, invaluable.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    DCCR and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted