Separate Forums Needed for World and Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Hotpocket, Mar 29, 2014.

?

Separate Forum for World and Ancients?

1. Yes

45.2%
  2. No

54.8%
  1. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Just my opinion, but I often wish that CT would have separate forums for World and Ancient... having both together is too broad.

I happen to specialize in German coins, and trying to cull through all the Ancient threads/posts to find anything related to Europe let alone Germany is very time consuming.

What do you think? A separate forum for World? Maybe even break that into sub-categories (Europe, Latin America, Asia, Africa, etc.)? Or should we keep it all jumbled together? (hehe, leading the witness, I know...)

Please vote. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

stevex6 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I like it jumbled. Sometimes I see interesting things in the non-ancient posts.

CT's search function is good. Do you use it? Also, today I found and installed a Chrome extension ("Search The Current Site") which is turning out to be extremely helpful for searching all types of websites.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Ardatirion likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I asked the same sort of question when I first arrived at CT a little over a year ago and, as Mat said, it ain't gonna happen. So many of us Ancient collectors identify our threads in the title with "Ancient" to help narrow your search.

6. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

We as members unfortunately have no say as to how things are ran here.

This topic has been rehashed a dozen types with no progress.

7. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I like it. I am a little lazy and my collecting interests are generally Canadian and Ancients. One stop shopping for me!

vlaha, Ardatirion and stevex6 like this.
  8. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

What I don't like about it, is that the majority of posts are about ancients, and one has to waddle through pages to find world coin topics.

That's why I think it should be separate.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ancient rule, what more can be said?

:cool:

stevex6, ValiantKnight and Whizb4ng like this.
  10. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

[​IMG]

vlaha, stevex6 and Mat like this.
  11. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind . I don't collect world coinage (I know ancients are generally considered a subgroup of world coinage but for simplicity I'm sticking to "ancient" and "world") and I don't really find interest in them, so it wouldn't really be a loss for me if they got separated. But if the situation stays the same that's ok with me; I've gotten pretty good at distinguishing which kind of thread is which just from title if the ancients threads aren't labeled as such. BTW I wonder why the world people haven't gotten to labeling their threads "modern" or "world". I think that would likewise help ancients collectors who want to skip them and make it easier for world collectors to find their threads.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Why? Because: It is easier to complain than to take this simple labeling step that would make it easier to include or exclude posted topics. I suppose the software could be rewritten so there was a clickable menu requiring the first post to be categorized as one of the choices but we would probably argue over whether there should be separate options for Germany or Canada as well as just Ancient or World. As it is I am happy that we have this separate section here where the vast majority of members collect only modern US made to be collected new releases.

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I know how you feel, I specialize in coins from Bohemia & Moraravia, Al Fujairah, Hejaz, Nejd, Mutawakkilite, and Ragusa as well as other world coins, its a bummer having to wade through all the other stuff just to find a Mutawakkilite Buqsha or Para.
    :D:D:D:D

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Just read the ancient posts, usually they're very good. You'll get a little history lesson too.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

As I have stated before in other threads like this, I like it together. I see world coins posted that I think, "huh, I like that, time to buy one myself". I do it often.

And for the ancients, well I wouldnt have been exposed to them if it wasnt for this very forum & seeing the posts. It changed my collecting drastically.

I doubt I am the only one that feels this way.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Or...you could join the dark side.o_O

RaceBannon and stevex6 like this.
  17. Bing

I'll betcha you can't just buy one!!

RaceBannon and stevex6 like this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The ancient/world section bussels since a few ex-patriots from another forum (and you guys know who you are devil.gif ) came over. I'm on record for supporting a split........

19. Bing

But then you would miss our witty postings.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No I wouldn't. I believe you guys need your own section. The place is way busier than it used to be.......

21. Bing

Aw c'mon. You know you'd miss us. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted