Sentimental piece stolen

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kirkuleez, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have had an 1850 type two Liberty eagle in my pocket since my grandfather gave it to me (was his pocket piece for decades). I play on a pool team and have been using it as my pocket marker for nearly twenty years, but this past Wednesday it got taken. I'm just shocked to nobody including myself saw this happening, but after traveling around in my grandfathers and my pocket for over half a century, it's gone. I hope it makes its way back to me, but I'd be shocked if I ever see it again. The good news is that I won my match and my quest for a perfect season is still alive with only two weeks left.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Dang, that's not good...I mean the coin.

4. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I'd stop by your lcs and see if anyone has come in trying to sell one.

silverbullion and Bret Swanie like this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

That sucks. I hope you find it in a LCS or cash for gold place. You'll need a police report to be able to get it back and a pic would help.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Man something like that would bother me to no end Kirk. The family history behind this piece is immense. I hope it returns to you my friend.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've posted a thousand dollar reward for it, which is way more than it is worth, but unfortunately I don't even have an image of it. Southern coins and precious metals (where all of the we buy gold guys and coin shops send their scrap for assay) know about it and I've been dealing with them for years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not really holding out hope for it. :(

chrisild likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I assume that you play on an APA league. If you were playing on a quarter-slot table, is it possible that your "pocket marker" might have fallen into the pocket? If you haven't looked into this, maybe you could ask the owner of the establishment to open the table so you can check.

Having played pool for 55 years and assisted in recovering tables hundreds of times, you wouldn't believe the things that can be found inside the tables when they are recovered.

Chris

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Great idea Chris, I didn't even consider that it may have fallen into the pocket. And it was during an APA night. I also play BCA on Monday.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Be sure to take a flashlight with you. Good luck!

Chris

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I hope you find it!

Kirkuleez likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Check Craigslist if your police don't do it routinely as here.

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

So sorry to hear about your loss; I pray we'll hear an update that you found it safe and sound.

14. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Christopher Walken's line in 'Pulp Fiction.'

15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I sincerely hope that you find it. I've had an heirloom missing for a little over a month now so I do know the feeling.

Kirkuleez and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. Error66

Error66 Member

So sorry for the loss of such a sentimental piece. I pray that you will utilize every means at your disposal to locate it. Have you a metal detector? Regards, Error66.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

People say I look like him too, I'm not sure if it's a compliment or not but I don't really see the resemblance.

18. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I carried this uncomfortable hunk of metal for 4 years...

charlie123 likes this.
  19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have an update.... IT'S BEEN FOUND! It was returned to me by southern coins and precious metals. I let them know that it was missing and today I got a call saying that they had it. A pawn shop bought it as scrap. I'll post some pics as soon as I have my hands on it again.

I'm so happy that I will have it again. I even refelted the pool table to get them to let me get into it. It was a pricey full size table so they were reluctant to let me fool with it at first. I called in a guy that knew what he was doing to open it up since I didn't want to harm the slate. I now have a nice quick felt with some good action and will get my lucky pocket marker back this weekend. A happy day!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Mainebill, Whipps, mlov43 and 14 others like this.
  20. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

That's great!

21. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Do they have the paperwork for who sold it?

Draft saved Draft deleted